Axes? Really?

kmontyw

You mean similar to SWG? Essentially in that game you could equip ANY weapon found in the game however if you lacked the right 'licence' to use that weapon your damage was impaired with it. I would support this type of system in SWTOR wholeheartedly.

In fact, Warhammer Online was the first MMORPG I played that forced you in to using certain weapons dependent on the class you rolled. If you roll a Slayer, you can only EVER equip about 3 types of Axe and a few different types of the SAME armor. Coming from SWG that lelvel of restriction boggled my mind and has botherd me ever since.

Do I want my BH to be able to equip a carb or a rifle or a force pike in SWTOR? Yes I do. Same for every other class too.

Driz

Exactly what i meant! Heck in SWG i know people who ended up having to fight in combat with a fishing rod because they got snuck up on by a bounty hunter trying to collect on them

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean similar to SWG? Essentially in that game you could equip ANY weapon found in the game however if you lacked the right 'licence' to use that weapon your damage was impaired with it. I would support this type of system in SWTOR wholeheartedly.

In fact, Warhammer Online was the first MMORPG I played that forced you in to using certain weapons dependent on the class you rolled. If you roll a Slayer, you can only EVER equip about 3 types of Axe and a few different types of the SAME armor. Coming from SWG that lelvel of restriction boggled my mind and has botherd me ever since.

Do I want my BH to be able to equip a carb or a rifle or a force pike in SWTOR? Yes I do. Same for every other class too.

Driz

Well, in WAR the restrictions made perfect sense as they had to keep the classes roughly identical to their Warhammer Fantasy Battle tabletop counterparts.

In SWTOR, however, the imposed restrictions don't make sense at all. Apparently all Ataru users can only fight with two lightsabers, troopers can't use a pistol outside of cutscenes and assassins always use the most unwieldy type of lightsaber...

Exactly what i meant! Heck in SWG i know people who ended up having to fight in combat with a fishing rod because they got snuck up on by a bounty hunter trying to collect on them

Good times :) I would love to be able to say I was that BH that snuck up on him :) alas no....

I do still find it odd that any MMORPG limits the available weapons and armor based solely on a class choice and thats probably still my biggest gripe with SWTOR if I am honest. I would love to have a system whereby you have total freedom with weapons and armor. I understand that classes have been built around templates and mirrors of course, so you could easily add in some form of debuff / dps limit when using a weapon that is not archetypal to your chosen class. I am sure that would resolve most of the conflicts caused by having say a Jedi using an underslung heavy cannon or maybe a BH using a tech blade etc.

Now, if only I could use my BH Proton Carbine with ADK in this game :)

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

now would it be kinda stupid for a Jedi/Sith to change his Light sabers with normal AXES? hmmm guess not because the freaking Axes gonna do the same damage as a light saber, WELL DONE BIOWARE!

LMAO with this theory then Jedi/Sith should be 1 shotting everyone because lightsabers can cut through anything. Yeah that would work well in a game huh?

My God do people think before posting? This isn't a movie, it is a game. You have to have balance. Go back to GW2.

Really? Axes? This is what your concerned with? Theres a gambit of things you should be concerned about, but complaining about an addition of a new item in game is not one. Let me give you a solution to your problem.......

Dont use them, if you get one sell it.

Edited by Philastra

Really? Axes? This is what your concerned with? Theres a gambit things you should be concerned about, but complaing about an addition of a new itemin game is not one. Let me give you a solution to your problem.......

Dont use them, if you get one sell it.

Firstly, the word is "gamut." Secondly, you don't get these randomly - they're a specific item for purchase. Thirdly, what was with the spoiler tag?

I do still find it odd that any MMORPG limits the available weapons and armor based solely on a class choice and thats probably still my biggest gripe with SWTOR if I am honest. I would love to have a system whereby you have total freedom with weapons and armor.

As with many things when designing and implementing an MMO, it's a practical decision. People are clever and will distort and contort any and every mechanic within an MMO. Faster then developers can even imagine or interdict. So as a practical matter, you build major aspects of a class from the ground up while trying hard to balance all the classes as you flesh them out to playability for release. A free for all weapons approach (or armor for that matter, or any other equipable item that influences combat) introduces complete chaos into game balance/play when humans are involved.

That said, it's also pretty clear that as an MMO ages and evolves, the developers add more freedoms and latitudes bit by bit as they go along. Things that add to player desire, without injecting complete chaos into the MMO (in terms of either lore or mechanics). The Gamorean Axes in the cartel shop are a good example of this. They fit within the lore and enabling them for the "melee power" classes is consistent with the lore and also consistent with physics. So the only downside I see in this particular weapon being introduced is we will see some female body type 1s wielding dual axes that are probably a big as they are (as I do not think they have weapon scale to body size implemented in this MMO, unlike some others). AND.. being one among many of the clever humans that play this MMO, I am inclined to roll a female body type 1 Marauder just to enjoy the absurdity of her wielding two giant axes like they were Ninja Daggers. :p

Edited by Andryah

As with many things when designing and implementing an MMO, it's a practical decision. People are clever and will distort and contort any and every mechanic within an MMO. Faster then developers can even imagine or interdict. So as a practical matter, you build major aspects of a class from the ground up while trying hard to balance all the classes as you flesh them out to playability for release. A free for all weapons approach (or armor for that matter, or any other equipable item that influences combat) introduces complete chaos into game balance/play when humans are involved.

That said, it's also pretty clear that as an MMO ages and evolves, the developers add more freedoms and latitudes bit by bit as they go along. Things that add to player desire, without injecting complete chaos into the MMO (in terms of either lore or mechanics). The Gamorean Axes in the cartel shop are a good example of this. They fit within the lore and enabling them for the "melee power" classes is consistent with the lore and also consistent with physics. So the only downside I see in this particular weapon being introduced is we will see some female body type 1s wielding dual axes that are probably a big as they are (as I do not think they have weapon scale to body size implemented in this MMO, unlike some others). AND.. being one among many of the clever humans that play this MMO, I am inclined to roll a female body type 1 Juggernaut just to enjoy the absurdity of her wielding two giant axes like they were Ninja Daggers. :p

Thanks for the lesson :) most helpful...I guess I cut my MMORPG teeth on SWG and was spoilt by the free form nature, freedom, options and depth that the game had...light years ahead of its time really (no pun intended lol).

Then again, SWG never was very balanced lol so I do see your point :)

Driz

AND.. being one among many of the clever humans that play this MMO, I am inclined to roll a female body type 1 Juggernaut just to enjoy the absurdity of her wielding two giant axes like they were Ninja Daggers. :p

Psst, you need a Marauder to dual-wield.

Edited by irishfino

A lot of good comments here but I think the biggest one to remember is that one of the big things that MMO players often cite as something they enjoy is character customization. It's one of the reasons games like City of Heroes stuck around for years well after the bulk of their play group moved on; you could customize the appearance of your character to an almost ridiculous extent.

Adding weapons like the axes is a way to offer players a little more customization. I'm not planning on using them for any of my characters but I think it's cool that they're out there as an option if people want them.

Makes a nice alternate weapon too for any one who wants to RP a Jedi/Sith who's "turned away from the Order" or started following some new ethic like the Mandalorian honor code or what have you, since the lightsaber is such a symbol.

Then again, SWG never was very balanced lol so I do see your point :)

Indeed! :D

And admittedly, that is what some people like in an MMO..... but if I was an MMO producer I would not be able to stand the QQ about balance issues that would ensue in a modern MMO forum from an SWG style lack of balance. :)

Am I the only one who wants to be a nunchuck wielding abraham lincoln sith lord?

Or maybe duel wield shields?

Or maybe we could all make believe that a cow is a tavern :rolleyes:

On topic as to why axes cant be cut by lightsabers, Im pretty sure it says in the wookiepedia article on lightsabers that in the beginning when normal swords were still common, they started being weaved with cortosis, another lightsaber-resistant metal, in order to stand up to these new, fancy glowsticks :)

Or maybe we could all make believe that a cow is a tavern :rolleyes:

I'm troubled by the possible entrances to said tavern. :p

On topic as to why axes cant be cut by lightsabers, Im pretty sure it says in the wookiepedia article on lightsabers that in the beginning when normal swords were still common, they started being weaved with cortosis, another lightsaber-resistant metal, in order to stand up to these new, fancy glowsticks :)

I agree. If there were not technological counters to light-sabers... everyone who did not have one in the galaxy would be dead. :)

Edited by Andryah

I want them to add stuff like katanas

That's a bit like expecting the Korean MMOs to put lightsabers into their gear sets. :)

Besides.. it would lead to people roleplaying ninjas. Ninjas in MMOs are bad. :p

Edited by Andryah

Well, there are several types of metal a lightsaber can't cut through in Star Wars lore, so that's not really an issue. Also, axes are traditionally used by Gamorrean warriors as their weapon of choice and I'm sure a number of other species use them as well.

Ah Hah! You figured it out! This is just preparing the way for playable Gamorrean's. Haven't you wanted to be a Gamorrean Jedi?

That's a bit like expecting the Korean MMOs to put lightsabers into their gear sets. :)

Besides.. it would lead to people roleplaying ninjas. Ninjas in MMOs are bad. :p

Korean MMOs actually tend to implement weird, out-of-universe stuff, so that isn't helping your argument. :D That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of these around.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of these

I could see an entire new wing of crafting in the game if they did these. Only specific force using classes/races could do the imbues..... which would really upset the blaster pointers and some races. :D

Edited by Andryah

These are brand new state of the Art Jedi Lumberjack axes man, not just "Axes". The same way a swiss army knife isn't just a boring old pointy stick.

try blocking ANY attack with an axe,,axe is an OFFENSIVE weapon

yes i know gammorreans use them,,,,thats one reason more , NOT to do the same

try blocking ANY attack with an axe,,axe is an OFFENSIVE weapon

With big axes, you block the attack by planting said axe in opponents noodle box before they can land an attack. :D

Even better if you plant said axe by throwing it from range. :p