Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

anyone has shadows set in high quality?

Sadishist

I do, most of my settings are at maximum in game, graphics card itself is set to default settings. I get between 40 and 120 fps in pvp, space combat, fleet deck, and worlds.

Specs if you're curious:

ASRocks Extreme 4 Z77 mobo

Corsair Vengence 8 Gb (2x4) @ 1600

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz

Sapphire Vapor X HD5770

Win7 x64 Home Premium

Shadows are a joke in this game. There's an invisible bubble around the camera (not your character) that on high settings has the same annoyance as the grass in this game. Set your camera distance to max in options and look at your player shadow. Zoom out and about midway the shadows devolve from the "new improved shadows" to blobbed old shadows. All that work in the game to break it for a lot of people and be so utterly half arsed anyway. So if you play with your camera at max distance you don't ever even see the improved shadows... brilliant Bioware...

Shadows are a joke in this game. There's an invisible bubble around the camera (not your character) that on high settings has the same annoyance as the grass in this game. Set your camera distance to max in options and look at your player shadow. Zoom out and about midway the shadows devolve from the "new improved shadows" to blobbed old shadows. All that work in the game to break it for a lot of people and be so utterly half arsed anyway. So if you play with your camera at max distance you don't ever even see the improved shadows... brilliant Bioware...

It was the same in Rift's engine. Pretty shadows up close, sad shadows up far.

This is nothing unique, yet annoying.

The shadows broke your video card?

lol i wouldn't be surprised. but naaaa, i think i was just watching a tv show on vlc. it went to white screen and then the monitor said no video source.

Yup. Have everything maxed out. Got a nice rig with a nice video card.

I'm running at close to 90 fps on average.

The shadows look great on Belsavis btw.

shadows look great. . .on the ground. shadows on(not of, on. like shadows that get shown on you when you walk under a tree or something) the actual character are really pixelated

Edited by FourTwent

It was the same in Rift's engine. Pretty shadows up close, sad shadows up far.

This is nothing unique, yet annoying.

No doubt. Hence why I don't play Rift anymore. :) Rift also had 3 zones but the zones where on the player character and not the camera if I recall correctly. Something also funny was if a shadow was animated it would act accordingly as you looked at the object but when you turned your back the shadow froze lol. Uniqueness isn't in question. Pathetic implementation of an "upgrade" to a system is. Personally I'm left with a why bother if you aren't going to do it right. Rift may have done it wrong as well but another game that's older then both Rift and SWTOR put together can get it done in a much better fashion so excuses are just that... excuses. :D

using an i5 and a gtx 580 nvidia and have around 90 - 120 fps all the time. no need for an i7.

Should have been more specific and said Intel. AMD CPUs are able to run with shadows on but you're going to be dipping into the 20-30s FPS wise.

I have everything on high. I can even listen to music and run through the internet at the same time and the game runs smoothly, that is if there aren't 200 people in the zone... which is why I don't like going to the fleet on my server.

You need an i7 to run this game with shadows and get a decent amount of FPS.

AMD's CPUs just aren't cutting it anymore.

The CPU isn't going to be a big bottleneck at all for shadows. I'm running an i5 with everything maxed. My graphics card is a GTX490 though, which is the reason why.

You need an i7 to run this game with shadows and get a decent amount of FPS.

AMD's CPUs just aren't cutting it anymore.

Only thing that may lead you in need of fastest CPU in MMO is high number of players in same zone... not some graphic fluffs.

And this is not only here, slow CPU is bottleneck in WoW, STO, MxO & so on...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.