Terror from Beyond Hard Mode DPS Requirements - Your thoughts on how much

What DPS requirement do you think is required going in to TfB HM?

I think 1450, this is fully class buffed, unstimed, no adrenal and no power clicky relic.

With stim but no adrenal/relic - 1550-1600.

Would others agree with this?

thank you for validating why so many people didn't and still don't want real time dps parsers in this game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience as a 61 mod lvl Marauder with a 63 main hand hilt....1200-1800 dps is the range you like to see depending on the fights. Some fights you get a good amount of dps time...others like operator there is enough down time while channeling/moving that 1k-1200 is sufficent. Now Kephess with the dmg debuff on him from pillers...2200-2400 dps is possible. Personally I range around 1200-1500 range in most cases and in favorable conditions can do 1800 to even 3k on some of the aoe pulls with cool downs. DPS can also record differently depending on parser...Mox (common one) is fairly accurate but a bit forgiving, SWMON is VERY forgiving and with the dps totals the OP is expecting makes me think that must be the parser he uses. AdvanceCombatTracker is very unforgiving and reports the lowest dps numbers. 1500 in Mox = 1800 in SWMON = 1100 in ACT. My mara is carange with 700 bonus dmg (1014 pwr) and primary 1036-1205. I am usually top dps or close to it (sometimes a sniper sneaks past me or even a few mercs have bested me on some fights). Your 1400 unstimmed, no adrenal, or pwr boosts is unreachable by most people unless they are in full 63 gear already. Edited by Datku

If you're actually going to do this, then understand class limitations. I'm a DPS sage with 5 pieces of dread guard, and I've got almost full 63 rating mods and enhancements, and I can barely scrape 1600+ on a dummy due to them resisting the kind of damage I do for some reason. In raids with some of the best sentinels and gunslingers around, I'm always #1-3 on our meters because I know how to play my class. Just be cautious. Numbers aren't everything.

Along these lines, there are also a lot of interesting synergies *between* classes that you see in a raid situation but not on a combat dummy. For example, on my lightning sorc in min-maxed augmented 61s, I usually pull between 1600 and 1700 on a combat dummy (assuming I get lucky and there's no fleet lag). If I parse with a merc on the dummy, my DPS goes up pretty dramatically (usually 70-100) due to the 25% armor reduction. If parse together with a madness or hybrid sorc, I'll pick up a little under 50 extra DPS just due to the enhanced ticks of Affliction. Add to that a marauder for bloodthirst and realistic use of adrenals/relics and you have a much better idea of the upper bar. (in the case of my sorc, the mid-1800s).

All that goes out the window though when you look at movement phases, burst phases, etc. The best I can eke out on HM Kephess (in EC, not TFB) is around 1400, and even that is arguably padded due to the three AoE happy times with the Trandoshans. My DPS is even lower (1200-1300) on the hovertanks due to downtime and the fact that I have to hold back to avoid pulling off the tank.

There are no fights in current content (aside from arguably Nightmare Pilgrim) where you can just sit back and burn the boss with your perfect rotation. Every fight has mechanics which must be observed and often result in enforced downtime, sometimes for extended periods (e.g. the anomaly killer(s) on HM TFB second phase).

My main group's DPS all parse in the 1900-2000 range, but we generally see raid boss numbers in the 1500-1600 range. With those numbers, we kill Writhing Horror almost a full minute before enrage, and Terror more than 2 minutes prior to hard enrage. Honestly, if your DPS are parsing above 1300 on Writhing Horror, that's probably more than sufficient to clear the instance.

The only fight for which I have ever imposed hard-DPS requirements (i.e. "show me a parse before I invite you") is Nightmare Pilgrim. On that fight, to beat the enrage, all damage dealers must be at or above 1260 average DPS (assuming 3 healers). Since Nightmare Pilgrim is the closest thing to a tank and spank in current content, the combat dummy provides a fairly decent way of testing if someone is able to achieve this level.

For everything else, raid awareness and the ability to adjust one's rotation based on mechanics are far more important.

There are no fights in current content (aside from arguably Nightmare Pilgrim) where you can just sit back and burn the boss with your perfect rotation.

Bonethrasher is pretty close, depending on your raid composition and positioning. I managed to pull 1920 on him last time, which I feel is decent (although undoubtedly some players could do better).

Dread Guards is an example of a fight I hate as a Sentinel: phase 2 murders your DPS uptime as melee. Typically I'll be parsing mid-1500s by the end of the fight.

My gut feeling is that if your raid members are pulling 1300-1400 on dummies with no boosts (stims, inspiration, adrenals, armour debuffs) you'll be quite fine. Above that just speeds things up.

Edited by Aurojiin

Bonethrasher is pretty close, depending on your raid composition and positioning. I managed to pull 1920 on him last time, which I feel is decent (although undoubtedly some players could do better).

Oh, if we go into EV/KP, then there are some lovely, lovely bosses that serve as excellent test dummies. :-) Foreman Crusher is great, especially with a decent tank. Bonethrasher is also pretty good, but there's enough kiting and movement that ranged DPS end up with significant amounts of interruption. Annihilation Droid is fabulously trivial, especially with good healers. As a DPS, the only interruption is a periodic AoE stun, which isn't an issue if you're ranged.

My favorite test fight is actually Karagga. Especially as a tank, that fight is like the perfect combat dummy. You take damage, most of which goes into your shield/defense, there are no agro drops, and no mechanics more serious than taking a few steps back every 15-20 seconds. I consistently parse about 10% higher (in terms of tank DPS) on that fight than I do on any other (aside from the first phase of TFB).

I was thinking more of EC, NMP and TFB, which are really in a separate category from EV/KP, since they appear to have been designed after BioWare figured out how to build an engaging encounter.