Why didn't Lucas continue to make SW movies?

Slowpokeking

LA are not short of money. We got tons of great epic tales in EU, so as long as they follow it and make some nice small changes we don't have to worry about the plot. Sure some people might argue about Hayden but overall GL was very good at picking actors, he could also get a good director. It's a very good way to keep the influence. Edited by Slowpokeking

From his interviews he's said:

1) 1-6 told the story he wanted to tell;

2) He's getting old and doesn't want to spend another ten years on Star Wars;

3) The hyper nitpicky fans will hate and troll me whatever I do, so why bother, as it stands now "I'm rich *****!"

From his interviews he's said:

1) 1-6 told the story he wanted to tell;

2) He's getting old and doesn't want to spend another ten years on Star Wars;

3) The hyper nitpicky fans will hate and troll me whatever I do, so why bother, as it stands now "I'm rich *****!"

I think he does not need to spend so much effort on the movie himself now, mostly just pick actors and directors, as a producer rather than director or story writer.

Because all he wanted to tell was 1-6, we have the EU to fill stuff in and tell new stories. Making new movies, would more then likely change the EU around 360....so no we don't need anymore movies. The movies are fine the way they are, just let it be.

They could follow the main plot of the EU and do some minor change.

I think Dark Empire and other stories where Palpatine, Boba Fett, et. al. come back to life are a no go. Star Wars 7-9 would also likely upend the stories of Jaina, Jacen & Anakin Solo as well as Ben Skywalker.

Except they can't because Lucas has stated, nothing else happens after ROTJ. Luke doesn't get married, Boba doesn't come back, Palpatine isn't reborn...so no. No more movies, otherwise that would be going against what GL said. Those aren't minor changes either.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Except they can't because Lucas has stated, nothing else happens after ROTJ. Luke doesn't get married, Boba doesn't come back, Palpatine isn't reborn...so no. No more movies, otherwise that would be going against what GL said. Those aren't minor changes either.

I'd still like to see an X-Wing TV series, though. Base it on Stackpole and Allston's comics and novels. I have a feeling it would be awesome, as long as they don't tear the source material apart. That was what killed "Legend of the Seeker" for me, in spite of Bridget Regan. Love her, and I still think she would be the perfect Wonder Woman. With that series, the series premier stuck so close to the first half of Wizard's First Rule, that I had high hopes for the series. Then they turned it into "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys 2.0". Hell, they even had a few Herc alumni involved with the series.

I'd say get Bridget Regan in the new X-Wing series as Mirax Terrik. She fits the description. :D

Edit: And get Tabrett Bethell to play Winter. ;)

Edited by Captain_Zone

Actually Dark Empire is GL's idea.

There are tons of stories before the movie era, enough to make quite a few movies.

Edited by Slowpokeking

LA are not short of money. We got tons of great epic tales in EU, so as long as they follow it and make some nice small changes we don't have to worry about the plot. Sure some people might argue about Hayden but overall GL was very good at picking actors, he could also get a good director. It's a very good way to keep the influence.

Many of the so called "Fans" expressed their displeasure at the Prequel Trilogy, partially because they are hateful of a few things:

1. Vader was no longer this ultimate "******" that everyone thought he was. He turned to the Dark Side over a woman. Yes, a WOMAN. Nerds everywhere were sent packing and vomiting in disgust that one of their greatest figures was, in fact, HUMAN.

2. Darth Sidious kicked Yoda's little green butt. It's true.

3. Vader turned out to be this whining little emo kid with mommy issues. I actually thought that was pretty funny and critical to the overall story.

4. Jar Jar Binks. I think this is the only complaint I actually agree with.

5. The 1997, 2004 and 2007 special editions of the OT. Personally, I look at it this way. Lucas is an artist and Star Wars could be considered his greatest masterpiece. Often such masterpieces become all consuming and a life's work. Say what you will. I liked all three versions, but the 2007 was the best for continuity's sake. So many people were mad because GL changed the OT to reflect the PT, but, in the end, it's not YOUR movie, is it?!

Edited by DarknessInLight

Except they don't need to be made into movies, because whatever happened between the movies has already been told in some form or another.

Why? LotR, the Hobbit and HP are great novels so they shouldn't be made into movies? The Avengers appeared in 1960's comic books but look at the box office of the 2012 movie.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Many of the so called "Fans" expressed their displeasure at the Prequel Trilogy, partially because they are hateful of a few things:

1. Vader was no longer this ultimate "******" that everyone thought he was. He turned to the Dark Side over a woman. Yes, a WOMAN. Nerds everywhere were sent packing and vomiting in disgust that one of their greatest figures was, in fact, HUMAN.

2. Darth Sidious kicked Yoda's little green butt. It's true.

3. Vader turned out to be this whining little emo kid with mommy issues. I actually thought that was pretty funny and critical to the overall story.

4. Jar Jar Binks. I think this is the only complaint I actually agree with.

5. The 1997, 2004 and 2007 special editions of the OT. Personally, I look at it this way. Lucas is an artist and Star Wars could be considered his greatest masterpiece. Often such masterpieces become all consuming and a life's work. Say what you will. I liked all three versions, but the 2007 was the best for continuity's sake. So many people were mad because GL changed the OT to reflect the PT, but, in the end, it's not YOUR movie, is it?!

Well I think the prequel, mostly EP I and EP II got quite a few flaws, but the fans did overreact too much.

So even though there won't be any more feature films, there is nothing that says they can't do new TV series like the X-Wing series I described before. Why not? Get a good cast and crew together, grab Joss Whedon to write and direct, grab Frakes to direct it as well, and you'll have yourself a winner. Maybe get JJ Abrams in as well. Just a suggestion. :)

Hey, let's face it. Burn Notice, Leverage, and Psych are the three best shows on TV right now. Man, I hope they start the new season of Psych soon....

So even though there won't be any more feature films, there is nothing that says they can't do new TV series like the X-Wing series I described before. Why not? Get a good cast and crew together, grab Joss Whedon to write and direct, grab Frakes to direct it as well, and you'll have yourself a winner. Maybe get JJ Abrams in as well. Just a suggestion. :)

Hey, let's face it. Burn Notice, Leverage, and Psych are the three best shows on TV right now. Man, I hope they start the new season of Psych soon....

Eh I think I would prefer an animated Star Wars: X-wing vs TIE fighter series actually, perhaps like the short animated clone wars, 15min? Lots of action and such? Besides you can do soo much more with animation.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Eh I think I would prefer an animated Star Wars: X-wing vs TIE fighter series actually, perhaps like the short animated clone wars, 15min? Lots of action and such? Besides you can do soo much more with animation.

Not a huge fan of the animated Star Wars, tbh. I'd still like to see a live action series. With CG the way it is today, it wouldn't be that expensive to make. Besides, if they can get some good writing and directing talent on there, it would be awesome. Hell, it would probably make George's writing and directing look like garba... ohwait. It already does. lol

I still own the original OT on VHS, and mastered them onto DVD a few months back. Since that is the only version of the OT that I recognize, it's my way of giving George Lucas the finger. If the Library of Congress asked, I would be more than happy to send them a copy of Episodes IV, V, and VI as they were originally released. Unlike George, who when asked, sent them copies of the NEWEST incarnation only, NOT the originals. As far as I'm concerned, George lost all artistic integrity when he rewrote and retconned the movies that a lot of us grew up watching.

LA are not short of money. We got tons of great epic tales in EU, so as long as they follow it and make some nice small changes we don't have to worry about the plot. Sure some people might argue about Hayden but overall GL was very good at picking actors, he could also get a good director. It's a very good way to keep the influence.

I hate to break this to you but Lucas doesn't like Star Wars as much as you. He's said it before Star Wars was just some silly sci fi movie he made. But it's still his and he holds a tight grip on it. I think part of the reason he doesn't give it to someone else is because he doesn't like people making it better then him.

Look at the original trilogy. Which are the best ones? The ones Lucas didn't direct.

Actually Dark Empire is GL's idea.

There are tons of stories before the movie era, enough to make quite a few movies.

no it really wasn't it. They came to him with the idea to bring the Emperor back and Lucas said "he died you know. Well if you can find a way to bring him back go for it"

The fact is the so called diehard 'fans' of star wars actually killed the Star Wars films

"Han shot first!"

"I hate Jar Jar!"

"Anakin is an emo!"

"You've ruined my childhood!"

"Bring back Sebastian Shaw!"

The irony is it is the fans that killed Star Wars, like George Lucas says "Why would I make any when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" If people hadn't complained so much he might have made some more, sad really. My sympathies for George Lucas.

The fact is the so called diehard 'fans' of star wars actually killed the Star Wars films

"Han shot first!"

"I hate Jar Jar!"

"Anakin is an emo!"

"You've ruined my childhood!"

"Bring back Sebastian Shaw!"

The irony is it is the fans that killed Star Wars, like George Lucas says "Why would I make any when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" If people hadn't complained so much he might have made some more, sad really. My sympathies for George Lucas.

His inability to accept criticism is not our concern. George Lucas refuses to consider even the most well thought out and articulate feedback about his movies. The question is, why would any fan of Star Wars want George Lucas to lead the next movie project? When he was making the prequels, he surrounded himself with Yes Men, and his movies suffered for it.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

His inability to accept criticism is not our concern. George Lucas refuses to consider even the most well thought out and articulate feedback about his movies. The question is, why would any fan of Star Wars want George Lucas to lead the next movie project? When he was making the prequels, he surrounded himself with Yes Men, and his movies suffered for it.

-Macheath.

GL is not a top level director or story teller, but some of his story ideas are good such as I AM YOUR FATHER, he's also good at picking actors, directors and other crews.