New Story +

Kyban

This is something I've wanted ever since I beat my first class story. And just so you know, i'm talking about completely starting your story over again on the same character. You keep everything, but get to see the same story again without making a new character and leveling up to 50 again. (Like a New Game +)

I am curious to know what the rest of the player base thinks. Could you see yourself playing through again as the same character? Do you guys think this is something worth spending Dev time on?

After seeing how many people are interested in doing this, the next step would be deciding if the content should be scaled to level, remain the same, or made heroic.

Discuss please!

I have a few questions, so that I can better understand what you are saying.

What would be the benefit of re-playing a story that you have already played through once already?

What would it provide that a re-roll would not?

Edited by Tomb-Stone

I have a few questions, so that I can better understand what you are saying.

What would be the benefit of re-playing a story that you have already played through once already?

What would it provide that a re-roll would not?

In short, it provides less time spent on errand quests so that you can focus on the story.

The full explanation:

So I like this game. I like Bioware and Star Wars. I also don't have the time i used to, to play MMO's and one of my criticisms about this game was that there were too many distractions from the main plot.

Let me explain that a bit. I got really into the Imperial Agent, and I wanted to keep going, but the flow of the game made me do side quests and flashpoints. Which is fine, its decent content. After completing a character to level 50, having done my time grinding out a few alts, I don't really want to do it again. (grinding)

I like good stories, and i love being immersed into games. I want the ability to run my plot with the character i made and designed, spec'd, and gave a back story to, without the need to level up again.

I want to play my story in the custom pieces of armor that i collected. I want to keep my high level abilities when i fight. I just want to experience the story back to back without going on a tangent on some other quest line. You know, kind of like doing a New Game + in Mass Effect, where you have all your powers maxed, large amount of money, and current weapons/inventory.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who plays this game and enjoys a good story. Wouldn't it be nice to do it again without the need to grind, or buy xp boosts? And just focus on your character?

Perhaps as an incentive, if New Story + existed, players could unlock special appearance items only found by doing this.

Does this answer your questions? Maybe give a clearer understanding on what I'm talking about?

Would be a good idea, especially for those with tons and tons of characters because they love the story (like me). If we could re-run like that I'd probably not make so many alts, lol.

Exactly. I don't mind making alts, lots of the reason i end up making them is to see their story. But if there's one I particularly like, i don't want to have to make a brand new alt.

I'm hoping there's a decent want for something like this.

+1. I'd love being able to do something like this. It could be like New Game+, or it could be something like making the class quests in something like Dailies once you've finished Chapter 3 or something (of course without the rewards of endgame dailies... you could do it over just for the fun of it). It'd be like in a lot of games where you can replay levels after you've beaten them.

I like it, but how would that work with companions? You already have them, so it would be weird if I was using, say Bowdaar when I get Bowdaar, if that makes any sense. Or would you lose your companions, and just get them again?

An interesting idea. I too would have loved to play my stories in the custom gear that I chose and skip many of the side missions. Still, probably not likely to happen, and I doubt there would be massive demand for it in any case.

Not a massive demand? I know SWTOR probably doesn't speak to the same crowd as Call of Duty does, but have you ever heard of Prestige mode?

I think the best way to implement this would be essentially making all the instanced content scaled to level 50 rather than restarting at a low level. Sure the non-instanced content would be super easy, but most story content is instanced.

They already have an ability to limit what companions can be used in what instances and conversations, so setting up a system to lock out the use of companions you don't have yet shouldn't be too difficult.

In short, it provides less time spent on errand quests so that you can focus on the story.

The full explanation:

So I like this game. I like Bioware and Star Wars. I also don't have the time i used to, to play MMO's and one of my criticisms about this game was that there were too many distractions from the main plot.

Let me explain that a bit. I got really into the Imperial Agent, and I wanted to keep going, but the flow of the game made me do side quests and flashpoints. Which is fine, its decent content. After completing a character to level 50, having done my time grinding out a few alts, I don't really want to do it again. (grinding)

I like good stories, and i love being immersed into games. I want the ability to run my plot with the character i made and designed, spec'd, and gave a back story to, without the need to level up again.

I want to play my story in the custom pieces of armor that i collected. I want to keep my high level abilities when i fight. I just want to experience the story back to back without going on a tangent on some other quest line. You know, kind of like doing a New Game + in Mass Effect, where you have all your powers maxed, large amount of money, and current weapons/inventory.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who plays this game and enjoys a good story. Wouldn't it be nice to do it again without the need to grind, or buy xp boosts? And just focus on your character?

Perhaps as an incentive, if New Story + existed, players could unlock special appearance items only found by doing this.

Does this answer your questions? Maybe give a clearer understanding on what I'm talking about?

When it comes to MMO's, when most people really really really like a class and want to play it again, they just reroll . As for not having the time and not wanting the grind, welcome to MMO's... The whole replay the story with the same character works really well for single player rpg's, not too sure it'd be the same for MMO's.

• 2 weeks later...
I like it, but how would that work with companions? You already have them, so it would be weird if I was using, say Bowdaar when I get Bowdaar, if that makes any sense. Or would you lose your companions, and just get them again?

First let me say sorry for taking to long to respond; work keeps me busy.

It would have to be something players would ignore. I think that's the easiest thing to do, else there would have to be a lock for that companion when entering. some sort of message that says "use X companion. However I've seen lots of games that allow you to new game+ with equipment, weapons, or skins that you get in the end game, or from beating it. It always looks silly, but hey you're playing the game again.

I think the best way to implement this would be essentially making all the instanced content scaled to level 50 rather than restarting at a low level. Sure the non-instanced content would be super easy, but most story content is instanced.

They already have an ability to limit what companions can be used in what instances and conversations, so setting up a system to lock out the use of companions you don't have yet shouldn't be too difficult.

Everything is always easier said than done, especially in games.

But i think you're right, I feel that it can be done. And hopefully BioWare will do it :)

When it comes to MMO's, when most people really really really like a class and want to play it again, they just reroll . As for not having the time and not wanting the grind, welcome to MMO's... The whole replay the story with the same character works really well for single player rpg's, not too sure it'd be the same for MMO's.

Yeah, but the thing is, this MMO feels like a single player game. It's also a Bioware game, and its a way to get some people to replay their content. (some being people like me who don't like rerolling)

I am also no stranger to MMO's and spending way too much time grinding and leveling. I played WoW for 5 years in a consistent raiding guild, I got Grand Marshal in Vanilla, I've played many other MMO's for years. I feel a bit older, I don't want to grind anymore :(

I badly need this feature as I have all my character slots filled. I can't delete a character I worked on just so I can replay the story.

Indeed! I am on my way to that same path. I've got each class filling each slot, from both factions.

I have no idea how many others are in the same boat, but i think it may be small. In any case, Bioware can spend time on this feature, which would be really cool, or allow us to purchase extra character slots once their Free to Play launches.

Here's hoping.

This is something I've wanted ever since I beat my first class story. And just so you know, i'm talking about completely starting your story over again on the same character. You keep everything, but get to see the same story again without making a new character and leveling up to 50 again. (Like a New Game +)

I am curious to know what the rest of the player base thinks. Could you see yourself playing through again as the same character? Do you guys think this is something worth spending Dev time on?

After seeing how many people are interested in doing this, the next step would be deciding if the content should be scaled to level, remain the same, or made heroic.

Discuss please!

Yeah i like the idea!

If there ever should be an option like this, id like to see to start the Class Story over but with a lvl 50 difficulty and harder boss encounters (since you got all companions, legacy etc.)

Edited by Nightthunder