Maelstrom Prison - wow

FeelFlow

I think those that come in expecting an end game with 10 instances, 6 raids, fully fleshed out PvP and a score of non combat min games are the result of the "WoW-boxer" genre.

People who had wrath or cat era WoW define "MMO's" for them, and their Xbox defined game releases. they expect first person shooter fluidity, and ten years of game refinement on release.

in an era where WoW has has many years and billiions of dollars per year to tinker and refine what they do. And btw...companies don't just hand off their secrets to others so the science of MMO's can improve...most MMO's have to start off at square one. and if their lucky, they have people that have developed other MMO's before, and can use their ideas without violating trade laws (this happens more then you think it does). so no...just because wow can do it now doesn't mean other MMO's can just pick up the torch.

Now this doesn't justify a company selling a product worthy of 2002....don't get me wrong. improvements in technology, and the increased volume of experienced developers in the marketplace means a company is much better of doing an MMO now then they were 10 yrs ago...and they SHOULD be better then WoW was back then. But like it was said before...they are. wow was full of bugs, as mentioned before.

even blizzard currently isn't free from new game-itis. look at the development of diablo 3. look at all the online parodys of the outages and error based events from their initial release. I remember the servers being down for almost 48 hours....on one of the most developed games in MMO history, by one of the biggest names in MMO development. compared to their diable 3 release....ToR was brilliantly smooth.

Their choices for release did have their downfalls though. medicore server technology, and too many servers released at launch meant an inevitable merger, when they didn't really have that technology in place yet...and were all still feeling the shockwaves from that. the graphics engine was well known in the industry for NOT being designed to do what Bio had wanted to do with it. were still dealing with them trying to make adjustments to it so average joe with average system can play it....at a time when games like aion have breathtaking worlds that run on simple machines:

She's a cutie!

Bio certainly has allot to learn about MMO's and some of their decisions will impact them the life of the game. but its not dead...and it's not any worse off then other MMO's in it's category. I think it was the expectations built by the company, fueled by a huge (and feverish) fan base, that was the source of the intensive retaliation. that and the WoW-boxers.

Edited by Elyx

So let me get this straight, the endgame 'sucks. We ONLY have 5 Ops at this point, with 3 difficulty modes, you know as opposed to...........wait.........that's exactly what most MMOs offer after MULTIPLE YEARS of releases! How tragic that you have to suffer through /more/ available Ops with a 3rd difficulty setting not available to other major MMOs.......less than a year after a release.
Ssssshhhh ... using common sense just infuriates them.

I'd just like to thank BW for an amazing gameplaying experience that I had last night. I was lucky to run Maelstrom Prison with a group of experienced players (thanks to them too) and wow. What a fantastic experience.

There was a real sense of storming a prison/fortress. And as someone who loved KOTOR but who didn't expect what would happen at the end.... Wow, again. I wasn't expecting that.

This game is a flawed masterpiece, true i.e. I'm speaking as someone who played through the above Flashpoint with graphics that jerked and stuttered every few seconds - but which were fine before 1.4 - and I could go on re. the bugs.

However, BW have produced a game with an amazing story with emotive turns - and it's a real shame that more people (judging from these forums) don't appreciate it more.

Anyway - I just wanted to thank you BW as I had an amazing gaming moment. And what more can you ask for?

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Another thank you thread? Can you post some things that may improve the game for example?

Like these?

I bought rocket boots and all its upgrades. Complete waste of money.

or

Blame EA. They are the bane of the gaming industry.

Can you post some things that may improve the game for example?

Yep, Maelstrom Prison is really great, and so is alot of the other flashpoints. Some might be a bit too simple in design, but on the whole they are all fun experiences during leveling.

At endgame, the FP's might get to feel a bit boring as you will run them over and over again to get gear, but if done with a PUG, all Hardmodes can really be a challenge to complete - and therefore alot of fun.

I like this thread :) It is a fresh breath of air to actually read something positive for a change. I had mostly given up coming to this forum thanks to all those who thinks they are entitled to this and that just because they pay a fee. Mostly their demands are more out there than Star Wars - and not so few thinking everything that gets added to the game should have been in the game at release. It is baffling really.

So, glad you had a good time on the flashpoint. I really enjoy this game too, being an altoholic myself and with 4 more slots to play with I actually will be able to see how the Rep side lives :)

Another thank you thread? Can you post some things that may improve the game for example?

except you fail to realize that a thank you thread is helpful to the game. It can show the developers what we like and what we enjoy and what we would like to see more of.

if we just say what we hate and want to get rid of then we just seem like entitled bratty jerks

Now that isn't to say that critisim isn't needed. We defently need people to find bugs and tell the developers what doesn't work. However it needs to be in a constructive way just like thank you threads need to be constructive.

Saying "this game is great" doesn't help

and on the opposite side saying

"This game is fail"

doesn't help either.

Or even saying things like "rocket boots are dumb" is not constructive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.