Maelstrom Prison - wow

FeelFlow

I'd just like to thank BW for an amazing gameplaying experience that I had last night. I was lucky to run Maelstrom Prison with a group of experienced players (thanks to them too) and wow. What a fantastic experience.

There was a real sense of storming a prison/fortress. And as someone who loved KOTOR but who didn't expect what would happen at the end.... Wow, again. I wasn't expecting that.

This game is a flawed masterpiece, true i.e. I'm speaking as someone who played through the above Flashpoint with graphics that jerked and stuttered every few seconds - but which were fine before 1.4 - and I could go on re. the bugs.

However, BW have produced a game with an amazing story with emotive turns - and it's a real shame that more people (judging from these forums) don't appreciate it more.

Anyway - I just wanted to thank you BW as I had an amazing gaming moment. And what more can you ask for?

Remember playing it blind for the first time with a few friends, had chills from the ending :)

All through that last conversation with... well.. "him" ,(don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not done it yet), we were writing like mad in party chat about how this was not what we had expected. This was really quite good that you reminded me of this FP, have a friend who just started playing SWTOR, I'll have to drag him to this one as well.

Glad to hear that you had a good time OP :)

What more could I ask for?

more content after a freakin year. Most mmos have announced an xpac at this point. ToR has 2 new flashpoints and 2 new ops (both by the way, which were already almost done when the damn game came out!)

They spent the rest of the time fixing bugs that shouldnt have been there in the first place, which took their time away from content, which made everyone get bored.

So give me more things to do. And make the damn game feel more alive! Give NPCs generic routes and conversations like Skyrim!

more content after a freakin year. Most mmos have announced an xpac at this point. ToR has:

2 new flashpoints

2 new ops

1 new warzone

2 live events

2 new pve gear sets

1 new pvp gear set

new daily area

group finder

legacy

augment system

new world bosses

new achevments

new mounts color crystals and pets [some with cool requirements]

all that and some of the longest patch notes ever with little things like tiered 50 pvp and same faction pvp on more than just huttball along with class balances and bug fixes and game optimization all for just a sub at no extra cost and even more to come before the end of the year and more throughout 2013,

also wanted to add while tranfering to free to play and merging servers at the same time

They spent the rest of the time fixing bugs that shouldnt have been there in the first place, which took their time away from content, which made everyone get bored.

So give me more things to do. And make the damn game feel more alive! Give NPCs generic routes and conversations like Skyrim!

here fixed that for you

Edited by Vis-Tecum

I'd just like to thank BW for an amazing gameplaying experience that I had last night. I was lucky to run Maelstrom Prison with a group of experienced players (thanks to them too) and wow. What a fantastic experience.

We all can agree that the real strength of this game is its leveling experience, especially if you run everything including world quests, heroics and flashpoints, especially on several classes, on both factions. Everything is tied together, the imperial Foundry is actually a follow up to the republic Maelstrom Prison, the events on Ilum

with Malgus taking over the Emperor's station and his move to take control of the Empire is actually a follow up to the JK final class quest where you defeat the Emperor

if my memory doesn't fail me the Trooper and Agent quest lines involve the stealth system that Malgus wants for his fleet and so on... So only when you have run everything do you get the whole picture, which is really gratifying.

The world and events feel really consistent. The only things shadowing this perfect experience are bugs and the poor endgame.

Edited by demotivator

Thanks all for your comments.

Yes, the game is frustrating and certainly has loads of bugs - it's probably the buggiest game that I've ever played.

I've yet to encounter the end-game - I'd hope that after the game goes FTP, that this will be sorted. However, I'm an altaholic and really want to experience all the stories. So with the legacy system I'm happy to level up each class (and have that get easier and easier) and see the stories unfold and (hopefully) how they interlock around the main big story.

Thanks all for your comments.

Yes, the game is frustrating and certainly has loads of bugs - it's probably the buggiest game that I've ever played.

I've yet to encounter the end-game - I'd hope that after the game goes FTP, that this will be sorted. However, I'm an altaholic and really want to experience all the stories. So with the legacy system I'm happy to level up each class (and have that get easier and easier) and see the stories unfold and (hopefully) how they interlock around the main big story.

this must be your first MMO.

this must be your first MMO.

Umm, no. Up till this year, I played WoW (since vanilla in 2005). I haven't returned as I'm getting a bit tired seeing my human characters with 2004's graphics!

I just like the stories and KOTOR is one of my favourite games.

Re. the bugs - WoW always had some bugs and areas that needed looking at (certain classes were terrible until just a few years ago - i.e. Paladin) but it was no way as buggy as this game, ever.

Another thank you thread? Can you post some things that may improve the game for example?

I was just saying that I really enjoyed running Maelstrom Prison for the first time and it was a great gaming experience - I just wanted to say thanks for that!

I certainly do have issues with the game - the massive amount of performance related issues, for example (the engine and client/server set up seem badly optimized etc. etc.).

I did want to get away from the negativity that you find here, too much and just remember that in so many ways, it's a great game - the story for all classes that I've experienced so far, is great. The world design is fantastic. NPC costumes are great. Player custumes are less great (what were they thinking?).

But a few things to improve the game? Sure.

- As I said, make the player gear more Star Warsy. Stop making it 'WoW meets SW'.

- Freeform space game

- And simplify the classes a bit. Phew, it's complex to understand what stats and mods you need for some class and I'm speaking as someone who played every single class (about half to max level) in WoW over the years

Another thank you thread? Can you post some things that may improve the game for example?

Why? The OP had a good experience and wanted it to share it with this atrocious...er...TORChan....I have to remember who I'm dealing with here. My bad.

Anyway, OP, glad you had fun running the FP. Definitely one of the best. And for all the other children...er...TORChan posters there are countless other threads where you can talk about what needs to be done to improve the game. This just happens to be a thread about one person's experience in Maelstrom Prison.

Not how horrible the rest of the game is.

TORChan. I keep forgetting that.

Edited by Lium

In the war of pure thank you threads versus pure screw you threads (and there are many which are devoid of any semblance of improvement recommendations) ... I'll take the thank you threads hands down. This is general discussion, so I would guess any topic that isn't inflammatory or demeaning would be within its scope of acceptance - including thank yous. Why a pat on the back would set someone off is beyond me.

My favourite flashpoint in the game, i absolutely refuse to skip the final conversation.

Lol. Me too. And I have tried... done several speed runs and everyone ends up waiting for me at the end. "Spacebar!" is the common refrain. But I just tell them to hang on. lol.

And BTW, I don't think every "praise" post needs to be accompanied by some diatribe on how to make the game better.. there are a few of you that seem to think this is a requirement. If you don't like the conversation... hey here is a good idea, create your own thread discussing your latest whine de'jour.

Good Post OP. Thanks for reminding us that the content, especially in this instance, is superb.

Edited by Rafaman

Yeah lol...because the forums are so full of them you know....the threads whining about the game issues are so sparse....we really need more of those...

It's a sad day when people can't just accept a thread about something people really enjoyed about the game. we have PLENTY of whine threads, and even positive threads about "how to fix the game". personally, I'd like to see less of that, and more of this.

after being a forum user in this game since pre-launch, I've had my fill of the doom and gloom and griping (done my fair share as well...not pointing fingers just making a statement). When I see posts like this is reminds me of many of the things I really like about the game, and reminds me in the midst of all the frustration and negativity on these forums that there are really solid reasons why I still play this game. Maelstrom is a great example.

To the OP: It is encouraging to see you had that great experience in maelstrom. it is still one of the best runs for me in the game. the end boss is an NPC that to this day still intrigues me. he has a very strong plot role on sith side (where I started), and his congenial nature that hides the truer severe and punitive personality make him very interesting. He is actually one of the NPC's that define the evil empire. I wish I had more involvement in him on republic side.

I was almost sad that I had to end it like it did in Maelstrom...but the Followup end scene is worth it. I still like to watch it even in HM's ( I ignore the perps whining about spacebar on that one....you can have your spacebar, im going to have a tender moment with two of my most favorite KoTOR characters, TYVM)

If you liked that one OP, you'll love the False emperor. My first experience with that one was on Imp side. As a "good" sith (secretly working to improve the Empire through hidden facets and helping other grow stronger), I had a real hard time doing what I had to do at the end there. if that last part whets your appetite, good ! enjoy every aspect of it your first time through, it's worth it.

Umm, no. Up till this year, I played WoW (since vanilla in 2005). I haven't returned as I'm getting a bit tired seeing my human characters with 2004's graphics!

I just like the stories and KOTOR is one of my favourite games.

Re. the bugs - WoW always had some bugs and areas that needed looking at (certain classes were terrible until just a few years ago - i.e. Paladin) but it was no way as buggy as this game, ever.

right there

If you played wow as long as you say you did no way would think this is the buggiest game you have ever played

Vanilla wow (WoW up until really TFT was buggy as hell) was a huge mess. The game was absolutely unplayble for an entire week every time they patched.

There was the famous frame drop patch i want to say it was 1.4 what it did was removed several frames of animation so it looked like everyone was teleporting around.

But lets not forget the raid lag. Up until AQ 40 when they allowed server transfers the lag was so bad firday and satruday night that raiding was impossible.

the game had major game breaking bugs that took weeks to fix.

OH there is the Priest slave bug. In PVP a priest could mindconrol a player from the other team, send them off the cliff and kill them. The player would be unable to resurect for the rest of the Battleground. They would be forced to follow the priest around until they relogged.

Yeah the ability to remove a teammate from the other team during PVP? That's game breaking.

but don't take my word for it

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/the-perfect-ten-worst-mmo-launches-of-all-time/

You sir are a liar.

Edited by jarjarloves

*snip*

To the OP: It is encouraging to see you had that great experience in maelstrom. it is still one of the best runs for me in the game. the end boss is an NPC that to this day still intrigues me. he has a very strong plot role on sith side (where I started), and his congenial nature that hides the truer severe and punitive personality make him very interesting. He is actually one of the NPC's that define the evil empire. I wish I had more involvement in him on republic side.

I was almost sad that I had to end it like it did in Maelstrom...but the Followup end scene is worth it. I still like to watch it even in HM's ( I ignore the perps whining about spacebar on that one....you can have your spacebar, im going to have a tender moment with two of my most favorite KoTOR characters, TYVM)

If you liked that one OP, you'll love the False emperor. My first experience with that one was on Imp side. As a "good" sith (secretly working to improve the Empire through hidden facets and helping other grow stronger), I had a real hard time doing what I had to do at the end there. if that last part whets your appetite, good ! enjoy every aspect of it your first time through, it's worth it.

Currently lvl:ing my first character to 50 on the empire side, this FP together with the quests early on Dromund Kass were really very good. I do also wish that there had been more involvement with him on the republic side. Haven't done False Emperor yet, so now I really look forward to it :D

more content after a freakin year. Most mmos have announced an xpac at this point. ToR has 2 new flashpoints and 2 new ops (both by the way, which were already almost done when the damn game came out!)

u do know thats like way more content then most MMOs did ... in their lifetime right? warhammer online comes to mind

So let me get this straight, the endgame 'sucks. We ONLY have 5 Ops at this point, with 3 difficulty modes, you know as opposed to...........wait.........that's exactly what most MMOs offer after MULTIPLE YEARS of releases! How tragic that you have to suffer through /more/ available Ops with a 3rd difficulty setting not available to other major MMOs.......less than a year after a release.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.