Sent on Combat - NEED MORE DPS!

KnightGreg

Ok. My Sent is level 50 and I'm on the Combat Tree (I'm not switching to Watchman btw) and I need more DPS. I'm in full BH but I can't seem to get more than 1400 dps on the Ops Dummy unbuffed and unstimmed. My stats are:

1780 Strength

1754 Endurance (I know it isn't for dps, but I'm just including it anyway.)

890-1043 Primary Damage

202-303 Secondary Damage

584.4 Melee Bonus Damage

893.9 Force Bonus Damage

105.89% Melee Accuracy

115.89% Force Accuracy

26.18% Melee Crit

33.30% Force Crit

75.82% Melee and Force Surge

My rotation consists of Precision Slash -> Master Strike -> Blade Storm -> Blade Rushes to spend Focus and Strike and Zealous Strike to build Focus as well as Force Leap. I also have Force Sweep, but that's just for little guys and mobs.

I was fighting the Drouks in HMEC and only got 1210 dps but I didn't use Inspiration or Adrenals because I forgot. Is there any way for me to up my dps? And help would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by KnightGreg

Insight is virtually useless for a Combat spec sentinel.

I maintain that this is the ideal PVE spec.

Supposing that with both specs you're using Cauterize throughout the entire fight, then my suggestion will net higher dps in most situations (there aren't that many situations in TFB where AoE is necessitated as a Sentinel, unless your group has an unbalance in their Melee to Range ratio), the extra damage to Sweep and Cyclone Slash is rather unnecessary, but I see how the extra 20% damage and 1% crit heal is useful in multiple scenarios.

Supposing that with both specs you're using Cauterize throughout the entire fight, then my suggestion will net higher dps in most situations (there aren't that many situations in TFB where AoE is necessitated as a Sentinel, unless your group has an unbalance in their Melee to Range ratio), the extra damage to Sweep and Cyclone Slash is rather unnecessary, but I see how the extra 20% damage and 1% crit heal is useful in multiple scenarios.

I will grant that technically, yes, your spec will net higher DPS on single targets; it's just that Cauterize's burn is such a miniscule amount of Combat's output (around 5% of my damage, give or take) that the increase would be pretty tiny. I'd much prefer the added utility, but YMMV.

I tend to think in part that if you wanted to maximise your sustained DPS you'd spec Watchman anyway...

Edited by Aurojiin

:rak_04:

I will grant that technically, yes, your spec will net higher DPS on single targets; it's just that Cauterize's burn is such a miniscule amount of Combat's output (around 5% of my damage, give or take) that the increase would be pretty tiny. I'd much prefer the added utility, but YMMV.

I tend to think in part that if you wanted to maximise your sustained DPS you'd spec Watchman anyway...

YMMV?

Also, yeah, Cauterize is such a small part of our DPS that ultimately it doesn't matter, and I seldom get to raid with my sentinel anymore (No one wants to step up and tank...) that I often forget to use Cauterize in fights lol.

you're better off using that gcd on blade rush then cauterize, it does so little damage and the self heal is so small that it really doesn't add up to anything at all.

I use a similar PvE build, I take swelling winds just because a little more AoE never hurt anyone, and if you're doing Dayly Quests etc it's nice to clear through that stuff a tad bit faster. I also take 1pt root on Crippling Throw instead of that point in the self heal because I don't feel like respec every time I want to go PvP :D

To the OP i'd say your strength is pretty low. You're going to want to invest some time and credits into Augmenting your gear with Str/End augments. If you augment every piece that's a big chunk of strength that you get that will pump your overall DPS up. You have a lot of accuracy too, I don't think you need much over 100% on your melee accuracy, but that's a point of contention for a lot of players, some say you don't need %100, others do. In Combat I think 100% is just fine, much higher then that you are wasting stats you could be putting on Power.

Insight is useless in Combat, the only force abilities you're going to use is Sweep and Bladestorm, and Bladestorm should be auto crit if you are rotating right, so those extra points are a toss away and you should put them elsewhere.

You're losing dmg probably because you're not using Precision Slash Blade Storm or your Zen spam at the right times. I don't think anything pumps out more dmg in a 5s span then a Combat Sentinel using Precision Slash with 3 bladerushes and a blade storm when he has Zen up, I've seen 3k parse spikes for myself and I know sents that have better gear then me (and better players, easily).

If you're not using STR/Power Stims you might want to find a friendly Biochemist who can make you or sell you some, that will pump your stats up and if you get the blue lvl 48 ones they have a 2hr time limit and last through any wipes. Depending on your server you should be able to buy them on the GTN for a reasonable price.

just my opinion.

Edited by KruelhandJorb

you're better off using that gcd on blade rush then cauterize, it does so little damage and the self heal is so small that it really doesn't add up to anything at all.

Placing Cauterize correctly in your priority list is a slight DPS increase.

In Combat I think 100% is just fine, much higher then that you are wasting stats you could be putting on Power.

Strictly speaking Accuracy only trades with Surge, but your point is correct. Combat gets a big boost to accuracy from spec and form for a start; personally I've only got 57 accuracy and 513 surge :p

Edited by Aurojiin

I'm using a Mouse and my build is 3/33/5. Focused Slash in Watchman, all of Combat minus Displacement and Stagger, and Insight and Master Focus in Focus.

Apart from all the other advice given in this thread, think about keybinding your abilities.

No matter how fast you can click stuff with your mouse, once you're used to keybinds you will be alot quicker.

The tips finding here seems to apply very well though im curious about a few details and corrections:

1. Cauterize in rotation

Why the hell on earth you want to put cauterize in your rotation? (Combat)

Ok let's say it does increase dps. Can someone explain where cauterize should be used for it?

Increasing the dps i am already doing should only be more increase. Probably hit the first 2.1k log then.

2. Accuracy. Though more people notice that they just use 1 enhancement (51 acc) or not go over the 100%, I think that is complete nonsense. I agree that we are working with a so-called stochastic chance model, though increases in certain stats could give different maximalized caps.

For those who comment, please be aware. I've thrown over a 12+mil in testing all different setups on 61 gear on the sent.

For a small sidenote I made a screenshot just earlier of a short parse on the dummy

http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1350518302_Dpsdummy.jpg

Sidenote: this is without inspiration or use of adrenals: Included all class buffs and exotech might stim

Edited by Freezoide

The tips finding here seems to apply very well though im curious about a few details and corrections:

1. Cauterize in rotation

Why the hell on earth you want to put cauterize in your rotation? (Combat)

Ok let's say it does increase dps. Can someone explain where cauterize should be used for it?

Increasing the dps i am already doing should only be more increase. Probably hit the first 2.1k log then.

2. Accuracy. Though more people notice that they just use 1 enhancement (51 acc) or not go over the 100%, I think that is complete nonsense. I agree that we are working with a so-called stochastic chance model, though increases in certain stats could give different maximalized caps.

For those who comment, please be aware. I've thrown over a 12+mil in testing all different setups on 61 gear on the sent.

For a small sidenote I made a screenshot just earlier of a short parse on the dummy

http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1350518302_Dpsdummy.jpg

Sidenote: this is without inspiration or use of adrenals: Included all class buffs and exotech might stim

1. Because of the low cost, it being instant, and having a semi-short CD, I would say use it on Cooldown, but never while the Precision Slash buff is up.

2. Increasing Accuracy past 100% only increases the chance of offhand attacks and Strike hitting.

Also, with Torparse, you don't need to just take a screen shot if you want to share it, just copy and paste the url...

http://www.torparse.com/a/33290

^ his parse.

Placing Cauterize correctly in your priority list is a slight DPS increase.

Strictly speaking Accuracy only trades with Surge, but your point is correct. Combat gets a big boost to accuracy from spec and form for a start; personally I've only got 57 accuracy and 513 surge :p

Where exactly in the rotation then? No matter where you put it Cauterize, its useless as a combat sent for a couple of reasons.

1. On a pure damage comparison, without increased damage to DoTs higher up in the Watchman tree, Cauterize will offer less damage, compounded by a couple of factors
    1. Zen essentially reduces Blade Rush to 1 focus and makes it 50% faster for 6 strikes. Thus from both a pure dps and dmg per focus standpoint, Blade Rush far outstrips Cauterize

[*]Aids the most important part of Combat sents - Ataru form procs

1. Ataru form procs causes Opportune Trance
  2. Ataru form procs Combat Trance

[*]Healing gained is virtually nothing

[*]Cauterize does nothing for Combat sents

Naturally, I wouldn't know how Cauterize synthesizes with Combat until I try it out. The only place where I can feasibly see an insert of Cauterize is after you finish your normal rotation and have some downtime left and can throw a Cauterize in there. I'll do some parses later on to see how it compares with my normal rotation.

Edited by -Yui-

I'v been over this dilemma on where to place Cauterize as well. Since I'm still getting used to putting it in my rotation, I usually forget to use it (doesn't matter much since Sentinel DPS is stupid high). When I do use it, it's when I have a lull between Precision Strikes and I have a surplus of Focus or if I have to spend some time away from a boss like Toth during a tank swap. During a burn phase, Cauterize is not going to be used by me since it usually won't have as much utility during that, but for extended fights Cauterize would be useful to use on occasion. Hope that helps. If someone has a better idea than this, I'm happy to listen too.

Where exactly in the rotation then? No matter where you put it Cauterize, its useless as a combat sent for a couple of reasons.

1. On a pure damage comparison, without increased damage to DoTs higher up in the Watchman tree, Cauterize will offer less damage, compounded by a couple of factors
    1. Zen essentially reduces Blade Rush to 1 focus and makes it 50% faster for 6 strikes. Thus from both a pure dps and dmg per focus standpoint, Blade Rush far outstrips Cauterize

[*]Aids the most important part of Combat sents - Ataru form procs

1. Ataru form procs causes Opportune Trance
  2. Ataru form procs Combat Trance

[*]Healing gained is virtually nothing

[*]Cauterize does nothing for Combat sents

Naturally, I wouldn't know how Cauterize synthesizes with Combat until I try it out. The only place where I can feasibly see an insert of Cauterize is after you finish your normal rotation and have some downtime left and can throw a Cauterize in there. I'll do some parses later on to see how it compares with my normal rotation.

1. You wouldn't use Cauterize while Zen is up and you're spamming Blade Rush 33% faster than usual (not 50%).

2. The physical portion of Cauterize hits with both sabers and can proc Ataru form, in addition the full burn averages out to be just over the average damage that Blade Rush does by itself.

3. Every melee ability you use (anything not Blade Storm, Dispatch or Crippling Throw) has a 35% chance to proc Ataru form. 65% chance with the Blade Rush proc.

Here's a parse of my sent using Cauterize frequently, and here is a parse (taken on the same day) of my sent not using Cauterize at all. There's nearly a 40 point difference in DPS (specifically looking at the 360 second mark) and I'm sure the gap would widen if I had more practice.

My top end damage on my sent at the moment is 1058, and I'm pulling 1650 dps on the operations training dummy in Combat Spec.

While I'm fairly new to the class I really focus hard on learning/optimizing rotations and classes as I like to play at a high level and I generally am quite competitive when it comes to operations dps and pvp.

I start off with Force Leap>Zealous Strike>Precision Slash>Master Strike>Blade Storm> then from that I move into building 6-7 focus (doing this with bladerush/strike combo and the focus generation from blade rush) for when Precision slash and Zealous strike are off cooldown again, then Zealous Strike>Precision Slash>Bladestorm (even if combat trance isn't procced) then I pop Zen>Blade Rush x6 then its about 7-8 seconds till Master Strike and precision slash is off cooldown again for the rotation refresh.

While combat is very good dps it is also very bursty and if you miss your precision slash cooldowns you can very easily drop your dps. I moxxed this and uploaded to imgur the screenshot but for some reason its not showing on this laptop so I'll edit this once I get home. With a combo of Zen, a Rakata Attack Adrenal and full focus burst I was able to achieve just under 8000 dps for 7 seconds at one point :)

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/qA44K.png Mox

Edited by Tom_the_Narwhal

1. You wouldn't use Cauterize while Zen is up and you're spamming Blade Rush 33% faster than usual (not 50%).

2. The physical portion of Cauterize hits with both sabers and can proc Ataru form, in addition the full burn averages out to be just over the average damage that Blade Rush does by itself.

3. Every melee ability you use (anything not Blade Storm, Dispatch or Crippling Throw) has a 35% chance to proc Ataru form. 65% chance with the Blade Rush proc.

Here's a parse of my sent using Cauterize frequently, and here is a parse (taken on the same day) of my sent not using Cauterize at all. There's nearly a 40 point difference in DPS (specifically looking at the 360 second mark) and I'm sure the gap would widen if I had more practice.

I've tested the difference in using Cauterize in a "non"-burst moment (yes I checked the logs) but on my gear and my level of dps it is slightly lowering it. I also curious who else has a 2k parse obtained normally. (Not some Anni/Marauder who is parsing 2k while a jugg is smashing the armor debuff on the ops dummy, yes i noticed that -_-).

My top end damage on my sent at the moment is 1058, and I'm pulling 1650 dps on the operations training dummy in Combat Spec.

While I'm fairly new to the class I really focus hard on learning/optimizing rotations and classes as I like to play at a high level and I generally am quite competitive when it comes to operations dps and pvp.

I start off with Force Leap>Zealous Strike>Precision Slash>Master Strike>Blade Storm> then from that I move into building 6-7 focus (doing this with bladerush/strike combo and the focus generation from blade rush) for when Precision slash and Zealous strike are off cooldown again, then Zealous Strike>Precision Slash>Bladestorm (even if combat trance isn't procced) then I pop Zen>Blade Rush x6 then its about 7-8 seconds till Master Strike and precision slash is off cooldown again for the rotation refresh.

While combat is very good dps it is also very bursty and if you miss your precision slash cooldowns you can very easily drop your dps. I moxxed this and uploaded to imgur the screenshot but for some reason its not showing on this laptop so I'll edit this once I get home. With a combo of Zen, a Rakata Attack Adrenal and full focus burst I was able to achieve just under 8000 dps for 7 seconds at one point :)

If you just alter that burst rotation slightly I'm sure you'll see an increase in DPS. Bladestorm is awful without the combat trance buff. If you get the timing down you can alternate burst rotations between PS > MS > BS (only with combat trance, otherwise use BR) and then the next will be Zen > PS > BR x3 > BS

I've tested the difference in using Cauterize in a "non"-burst moment (yes I checked the logs) but on my gear and my level of dps it is slightly lowering it. I also curious who else has a 2k parse obtained normally. (Not some Anni/Marauder who is parsing 2k while a jugg is smashing the armor debuff on the ops dummy, yes i noticed that -_-).

It does take getting used to...