An in-depth look at: The Prequel Trilogy Jedi and Sith Part 2

Aurbere

The Jedi Code (although complicated at parts) seems very staight forward in its goal.

The Sith Code however is much more interesting in my opinion. It's more like how to fulfilll the purpose of your being.

The most significant line (I think) is this:

Through Victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.

I think as someone stated earlier that this in part means that the best belong on top of the food chain. When the will of the most powerful is being satisfied, then everything is right. But I also think that this has a meaning on a much smaller scale that is meant for the individual. I think the Sith see themselves as oppresed because (like I said two sentences ago) they're meant to be on top. In accordance, they see the reigning power (being the Jedi and the Republic) as chains. They believe that their command of the force will set them free of the "opression" of the Jedi and Republic, hence the very last line of their code.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love is a strong emotion.

I think the point that we're missing here is this: the Jedi of old probably realized that love could be used in a lightsided fasion, but they knew that love could, like any other emotion, lead to the darkside if handled poorly. I believe that these same Jedi likely would have tought that using Love was good, but they didn't know how to teach their pupils how to control it, so they decided it was best left out of the Jedi beliefs. I'm just thinking out loud here so don't hammer me please :).

No problem with thinking out loud and you are right. As my reply to Wolf's post said, love is difficult to control and leads to even more powerful emotions.

And as Wolf said, it isn't completely neglected. It's difficult to control so that's why the Jedi don't approve of love.

The Jedi Code (although complicated at parts) seems very staight forward in its goal.

The Sith Code however is much more interesting in my opinion. It's more like how to fulfilll the purpose of your being.

The most significant line (I think) is this:

Through Victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.

I think as someone stated earlier that this in part means that the best belong on top of the food chain. When the will of the most powerful is being satisfied, then everything is right. But I also think that this has a meaning on a much smaller scale that is meant for the individual. I think the Sith see themselves as oppresed because (like I said two sentences ago) they're meant to be on top. In accordance, they see the reigning power (being the Jedi and the Republic) as chains. They believe that their command of the force will set them free of the "opression" of the Jedi and Republic, hence the very last line of their code.

The Sith Code is really all about breaking the shackles that bind them. Authority, the Jedi Code, even the restrictions of the Force itself. The Sith want to become the ultimate being, in that they want to be the masters. But they do not realize that they are actually servants of the Dark Side. They project the illusion that they are in control, but it is really the Dark Side that is in control.

Not entirely sure they completely left it out...I mean remember what Obi-Wan said?

"You were my brother Anakin, I loved you!"

So love isn't really neglected, just you can't let it(like other emotions) take control.

Absolutely right. Obi-wan did love Anakin. But remember what he told Yoda when Yoda said he'd have to face Ani:

"I can't do it. He's like a brother." - not a word for word quote but pretty close I think.

So in this sense, his love for Anakin nearly kept him from doing what ws necessary. If Obi-wan had had his way, he would have fought the Emperor and would have been destroyed. Luckily though, Yoda kept him in check. So once again, the Jedi (as a whole) kept love at arm's length because they didn't know how to handle it in a lightsided manor.

Absolutely right. Obi-wan did love Anakin. But remember what he told Yoda when Yoda said he'd have to face Ani:

"I can't do it. He's like a brother." - not a word for word quote but pretty close I think.

So in this sense, his love for Anakin nearly kept him from doing what ws necessary. If Obi-wan had had his way, he would have fought the Emperor and would have been destroyed. Luckily though, Yoda kept him in check. So once again, the Jedi (as a whole) kept love at arm's length because they didn't know how to handle it in a lightsided manor.

Thats why he couldn't kill him, his emotions got in the way. Although ultimately Anakin would be their salvation, perhaps this is the force intervening, implying that it is not entirely light...

Thats why he couldn't kill him, his emotions got in the way. Although ultimately Anakin would be their salvation, perhaps this is the force intervening, implying that it is not entirely light...

Well the Force isn't entirely Light. The Force leans heavily in that direction though. Hence Anakins creation.

Well the Force isn't entirely Light. The Force leans heavily in that direction though. Hence Anakins creation.

And here it was I thought that it had something to do with darth plageus (no I don't spell in english very well) because Anakin was born around the time that he was fooling with creating life through the force.

Just a general point.

Would you say the dark side is stronger that the light? Say an embodiment of the light and an embodiment of the dark fought, who would be the victor?

I'm of the opinion that the Force doesn't have a particular disposition, Light or Dark. I see it as more of an entity that can either be cooperative or controlled. If you don't try to control it (Jedi) then it will cooperate with you and there will be no adverse affects. If you try to dominate it, sure, it will give you power, but ultimately it will control you...

And here it was I thought that it had something to do with darth plageus (no I don't spell in english very well) because Anakin was born around the time that he was fooling with creating life through the force.

Plagueis was messing with power beyond his control and the Force didn't like it. So what happens next? Anakin Skywalker is created. I believe Plagueis was trying to create a Sith'ari if I'm not mistaken. Plagueis and Sidious were shifting the Force out of balance so the Force created Anakin to weigh the odds in the Jedi Order's favor.

From what I recall the son killed the daughter and then the son died not too long after....

The daughters death was an accident. He (if I'm not mistaken on the gender) is speaking of an epic battle between an embodiment of the Dark Side and an embodiment of the Light Side.

I don't want to start a argument, but who ever said that the force leans heavily in the lightside's direction? I thought that the force had no bias....

seriously I've never heard anything like that in my life.

I don't want to start a argument, but who ever said that the force leans heavily in the lightside's direction? I thought that the force had no bias....

seriously I've never heard anything like that in my life.

The Force does have a bias. Why else create Anakin when Plagueis attempted to create a Sith'Ari?

The Force does have a bias. Why else create Anakin when Plagueis attempted to create a Sith'Ari?

Anakin was just a experiment gone wrong in my opinion. Just 'cause he became a Jedi doesn't mean that the force has a bias. And even if the force made Anakin when Plagueis attempted to make a beast Sith, then that would mean that the force was getting back at Plagueis for imbalancing the force right? I don't see how that indicates a lightside bias of the force.

Anakin was just a experiment gone wrong in my opinion. Just 'cause he became a Jedi doesn't mean that the force has a bias. And even if the force made Anakin when Plagueis attempted to make a beast Sith, then that would mean that the force was getting back at Plagueis for imbalancing the force right? I don't see how that indicates a lightside bias of the force.

Plagueis and Sidious were unbalancing the Force and could destroy the Jedi Order. Not only did the Force create Anakin in response to their ritual attempt, but also to put the odds back into the Jedi Order's favor. The Force strives for Peace. That's why the Jedi always win in the end. Because they are the keepers of that peace.

Plagueis and Sidious were unbalancing the Force and could destroy the Jedi Order. Not only did the Force create Anakin in response to their ritual attempt, but also to put the odds back into the Jedi Order's favor. The Force strives for Peace. That's why the Jedi always win in the end. Because they are the keepers of that peace.

No, the Jedi always win in the end because they're the good guys! lol

Sorry for the necro here, but I have some bad news. Part 3 has been postponed for now due to a lack of knowledge of Jedi and Sith training techniques on my part. Further research will be necessary before I can make part 3.

I have two possible thread ideas that I am stuck between: Lightsaber Forms and Darth Nihilus. I'm leaving it to you all to pcik between the two or post your own topics that you would like to see. All topics will be considered.

Lightsaber forms would be cool.

That's what I was thinking of doing as well. I have the Jedi vs. Sith sourcebook and it has a holocron entry of Cin Drallig teaching the Lightsaber forms, so I will be drawing heavily on that in order to make the thread as canon as possible.

That's what I was thinking of doing as well. I have the Jedi vs. Sith sourcebook and it has a holocron entry of Cin Drallig teaching the Lightsaber forms, so I will be drawing heavily on that in order to make the thread as canon as possible.

It'd be neat if you went in order, from the first form to the last form(Vapaad). Each form having its own thread..

Lightsaber forms would be cool.

I second that, I know enough about Nihilus I think - and not much at all about lightsaber forms. It will be very interesting to know more - maybe some info on how to recognize them too (e.g. trademark moves) and famous practitioners? I'd love to watch a lightsaber duel and be like, oh I know that form, like a real star wars geek :D