Watchman and Annihilation Theorycrafting

Madjuan

I'm looking for intelligent discussion and feedback from other Watchman Sentinels and Annihilation Marauders whose focus is end game content. I'd like to find out how other people are gearing their characters and also get some feedback on what I can do to maximize my dps.

Here's some information on my stats and talent build.

Talent Build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfsZhMMZh.2

Primary Stats:

2003 Strength

515 Presence

90 Aim

90 Cunning

1752 Endurance

140 Willpower

0 Expertise

Secondary Stats:

Accuracy: 342 (+10.32%)

Critical: 109 (+4.54%)

Surge: 228 (+22.64%)

Power: 869 (+199.9 damage)

Alacrity: 0

Melee:

Damage (Pri): 924-1086

Damage (Sec): 214-321

Bonus Damage: 600.5

Accuracy: 101.32%

Critical Chance: 23.12%

Critical Multiplier: 73.64%

Force:

Bonus Damage: 927.0

Bonus Healing: 368.4

Accuracy: 111.32%

Critical Chance: 30.24%

Critical Multiplier: 73.64%

Activation Speed: 0.0%

A few things to note:

• These are my unbuffed stats.
  • I'm wearing full Campaign level gear and using a Campaign Relic of Dark Radiance and Matrix Cube M7-GO.
  • Every item is augmented with a strength augment.
  • After hitting 100% accuracy I'm stacking power in favor of all other secondary stats.
  • My personal goal is to keep my unbuffed force crit above 30%. Once I'm fully buffed, using an Exotech Might Stim and built up five stacks of Juyo Form, the crit chance for my burns is +50% crit. I consider this a good soft cap since burns account for most of my damage and burn crits provide self healing.

Please post your theorycrafting thoughts or any feedback you have for me.

Thanks!

Edited by Madjuan
Changed the title

It looks pretty decent although I'd say that your crit % is low. You'd want to get it to be at around %30 unbuffed, or the low 30's with the crit buff from a smug/agent. If you're watchman/annilation I don't feel like having %100 accuracy is such a vital thing if you're combat or carnage then it's more important imo.

If you have your Accuracy above 96% you're going to be fine, I think 98% is the sweet spot that ought to put you in a position of just never ever missing much of anything. Since in watchman you're dealing with your Burns for damage you're going to want to have a good amount of power, and if you spec properly with a proper spec you can have %50ish on your dots with full Juyo form and that's where your real damage is coming from.

Looking at your spec i would probably spec a lot differently then you do mostly because as a watchman I want my interrupt to be on 6s, you don't need to take 1 pts on the force cammo talent unless you do a lot of pvp, that's really a pvp talent imo. Force cammo is awesome for threat drop but you don't want to be off dps for 5s because depending on the timing of you pulling threat you could lose your merciless buff time etc. Jedi Crusader is good for 1 pt in your talent tree in the combat window as it helps you gain focus for free as you ought to be using rebuke on cooldown in boss fights that have aoe, like every boss in every operation. I;d drop insight and take the cooldown reduction and dmg increase on masterstrike also.

You're going to want to at least replace that Matrix Cube. Preferably you'd replace the Campaign relic too, swapping both relics with a War Hero power relic. The Campaign relic isn't a huge DPS loss over a WH relic of boundless ages, so that one is really up to you.

By losing the Matrix Cube, you're going to need at least 1 enhancement with crit rating on it. I'd suggest finding an enhancement with crit/surge (battle enhancement I think?) and replacing one of your power/accuracy enhancements.

Accuracy over 100 is wasted, and if you drop one enhancement you'll be in the 99.5%+ range which is fine. The War Hero relics of Boundless Ages are a flat +113 to power which are a definite DPS increase over the Matrix Cube and all the theory crafting and number crunching suggests they're about 1%-2% higher DPS than the Campaign proc relics too. Other than that there really isn't much you can do gear wise except start the process of min/maxing over again with 63 gear.

Also, forgot to add that my testing in both Watchman and Combat spec, using a lower crit rating higher power rating build and a lower power higher crit rating build found both performed within 1.25% of one another (164 crit rating vs 328 crit rating). In the future when I gear into 63 gear I'll only bother to make sure my crit rating isn't into the drastic DR territory because the extra power did not make a substantial DPS difference for the time and effort that went into getting it.

I would also ignore the post above me. You shouldn't aim for a crit %. It's an arbitrary number. Crit rating and is the number to look at, and as I said between around 150 and 325 they perform almost identically. Plus I'd never take the Master Strike talent in Watchman because it isn't a high priority ability in a Watchman's rotation.

Edited by arkitip

I mistakenly posted an incorrect talent tree. I have 2/2 Watchguard and 0/2 Force Fade...updated link. My apologies, I should have reviewed it more closely before posting the link.

Yeah, the WH relics are nice but I don't invest any time in PVP...in fact my social rank is higher than my valor rank! Maybe I'll spend some time in wzs this weekend. I can't wait to hear the complaints, "omg this noob is in full recruit gear".

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7024549c-3566-4f9c-82e8-c5a79dbae1d7

I've spent some time on my sentinel. Pulling 1900+ on ops dummy without inspiration/adrenals. Will further tweek as I get gear from TFB.

I used to put talents in defensive forms/roll. However to fully optimize the DPS I went 31/3/7. Defensive roll is great for pvp but I no longer feel like its necessary for PVE. If you're able to avoid circles and have awesome healers, then you wont need defensive roll/forms

Edited by OMGitsCHARLIE

I'm looking for intelligent discussion and feedback from other Watchman Sentinels and Annihilation Marauders whose focus is end game content. I'd like to find out how other people are gearing their characters and also get some feedback on what I can do to maximize my dps.

IMO the WH relics are better than those you are using, the +113 power (since power has no DR) is way too sexy.

• 2 months later...
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7024549c-3566-4f9c-82e8-c5a79dbae1d7

I used to put talents in defensive forms/roll. However to fully optimize the DPS I went 31/3/7. Defensive roll is great for pvp but I no longer feel like its necessary for PVE. If you're able to avoid circles and have awesome healers, then you wont need defensive roll/forms

For PvE, I second Charlie on this as a majority of AoE in ops and the like can be avoided by being in the right spot or not standing in the wrong spot ;) I still use in PvP, however, if only as an attempt to slightly reduce the effectiveness of the increasingly ubiquitous smash-spec Juggs and Maras.

Edited by Karaya_One

After reading the text on the Dread Guard Proc Relic:

Equip: Damaging attacks have a 30% chance to deal 210 additional elemental damage to the target. This effect can only occur once every 4.5 seconds, and shares this limit with similar damage-dealing effects..

Really, what they mean by damaging attacks is On Hit. Which means only when you create WHITE numbers (because it has to be an actual hit with your saber) do you have to chance hit the proc and since Watchmans are DoT heavy, most of our DPS isn't eligible to proc the relic.

Therefore, I would recommend either pick up an EHW power relic or an on-click DG power relic. Be careful with the on-click DG power relic though. Unless you use it EVERY time it's up it result in an overall net loss in DPS.

Remember though, this just my opnion of what works based on my personal experience. I do not claim to be the most knowledgeable Watchman or most the geared or the best theorycrafter.

Edited by Bugattiboy