The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

End-game companion

DarthMetier

I'm trying to decide to either tank and use Vette as a range DPS or go with the vengeance tree and use Vette to help with DPS as well or use a healer. Right now my main has all custom gear with purple level 49-50 mods that I've made and I am at a point where I am ready to level 50 missions (currently doing BH) and was wondering what the more experienced players thought would be better for getting better gear by doing the HM FP's and dailies : 1) tank and have ranged DPS; 2) melee DPS with range DPS, or 3) melee dps with a healer. As it stands right now, I have Vette geared up with all custom gear with purple level 49-50 mods that I made my self with my other toons. I would need to make Quinn's gear if I decide to go that route, but I was curious as to what others thought. If it comes down to my personal preference, I would have melee and range DPS and have Quinn geared up for the boss fights to help out as my healer. Anyone have anyhting they'd like to add?

Why do you want to take companions to hard mode FPs? It's only viable once they're geared enough, not while you're gearing yourself. Not to mention it's a tedious amount of micro-management because they'll just die standing in the fire otherwise.

For dailies, the quickest combination is always DPS player + healer companion. You deal the pain, he heals you = very little downtime between fights. My Jugg is a tank though, he's rolling with Jaesa. With dailies it doesn't really matter if you take Vette or Jaesa as DPS, both work just fine.

For dailies, the quickest combination is always DPS player + healer companion. You deal the pain, he heals you = very little downtime between fights. My Jugg is a tank though, he's rolling with Jaesa. With dailies it doesn't really matter if you take Vette or Jaesa as DPS, both work just fine.

QFT. For teh most part, you will probably gear up quinn + jaesa. you can gear up Vett too, but she uses the exact same gear quinn does. As you run more FP's, you will start to naturally acquire extra gear that will go to them. both quinn and jaese are geared in columi + rakata on my jugg at this point.

i will use one or the other pending my situation. prior to 1.3, I would say that running in tank spec with jaesa is equal, but now it isn't. it' simply slower then vengeance with Quinn (though Rage spec now may be worth running too...nice buffs last patch). but immortal took too much of a damage reduction in 1.3

I literally can kill mobs faster now in vengeance with jaesa...and take less damage then I would in tank stance. it is literally that much of a dps difference. solo play in immortal spec is literally not worth doing now unless you A: only have a tank set, and B: have way too little money to afford spec switching. both of those are viable reasons....but if you have a choice, go with vengeance/rage for solo work. use jaesa if you want to see how fast mobs can squeal and die, and use quinn if you just want to steamroll everything withouth having to look at your health bar....ever....

now, at early gear levels, you will feel the hit, and you may want to juggle back and forth pending your situation. but ocne your mostly in columi, you won't have to worry.

I don't mind gearing up Jaessa, but as I said earlier, I've always used Vette for her range DPS while I was the melee DPS, all the fighhts went fast, even th eboss fights. I have been giving serious thought to gearing up Jaessa as well, but have run out of money to do so, going to work on the dailies to finish gearing up Quinn, I know Vette and Quinn use the same armor, but I didn't like the look of the armor on Quinn so I decided to make his own. You mentioned picking up Columi gear, am I able to pick up them up during HM FP's? Anyways, thanks a lot gor your input

You probably won't be able to pick up companion columni gear unless it is through winning a greed roll. But if you run them often enough you will be able to use both tokens and comms to gear them.
Actually, it's quite easy to get a companion geared in Columi in a hurry. Just do what I've done on my Vanguard and Powertech: burn the Columi commendations exclusively on them, and keep the Black Hole commendations for yourself.