Voice Modulation

NasDragon

Not sure if a suggestion like this has been made or not, but here it goes.

One thing I find funny is that as a male Bounty Hunter, you have a deep gruff voice which for the most part fits the style of character. However if you pick a skinny runt this voice simply does not match. Would it be possible to implement some kind of voice modulation to be associated with a body type? Maybe in the future even be able to add a voice modulation for the type of race you are too. I believe this would help in creating your own unique identity in the game, as there is too much of the "cookie cutter" atmosphere in this game.

Hmm something to think about any way dev's :rolleyes:

I like the idea of having a way to change your character's voice in order to make that character your own and to distinguish him/her from other players with the same class and gender. However, hiring new voice actors to make the alternate voices would be expensive. So an idea I had would be to have a simple voice alteration application in character creation where you'd be able to make minor changes to the voice tone (nothing crazy here, I don't want to see someone sounding like a chipmunk). This way you'd be able to lighten the voice if you feel it doesn't sound right for your character's unique appearance, or deepen it further if you are so inclined.

Solution: offer a voice pack, 2 all new voices for your character (1 male, 1 female). Only $19.99!

That's what I'd do if I were Bioware.

I posted a similar idea a long time ago.

Finding that perfect balance, though, is tricky.

I think that the best approach would be to get two actors to redub all of the lines for the male classes and two actresses to redub all of the lines for the female classes.

Then you break it down into four voice packs:

1) Male and female voice #1 for Republic

2) Male and female voice #1 for Empire

3) Male and female voice #2 for Republic

4) Male and female voice #2 for Empire

That, in my mind, maximizes their chance to produce a voice that someone will want to purchase while trying to keep costs in check (both on their end and the costs to the players).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Voice modulation might be the way to go, though.

Just depends on how far they can go without going too far.

I like the idea of having a way to change your character's voice in order to make that character your own and to distinguish him/her from other players with the same class and gender. However, hiring new voice actors to make the alternate voices would be expensive. So an idea I had would be to have a simple voice alteration application in character creation where you'd be able to make minor changes to the voice tone (nothing crazy here, I don't want to see someone sounding like a chipmunk). This way you'd be able to lighten the voice if you feel it doesn't sound right for your character's unique appearance, or deepen it further if you are so inclined.

That is exactly what i was thinking. Actually your idea would be better because if you had a different customization slot for the voice, you would really be able to create some unique characters.

I suggested this long time ago.

They could make an equalization of sorts when you can modify highs and lows to make it how you want.

Although customizations have increased a lot since launch, we are still far away from perfection. I still would like color choices as well in all armor. Hope they do it.

As a skinny guy with a deep voice I find this offensive

I am skinny with a deep voice but I understand the OP's claim, because weight can indeed influence your voice.

I think having slight variations with the VO is a fine idea, but I don't agree with limiting it to body type, let the players pick which altered voice they'd like.

I am skinny with a deep voice but I understand the OP's claim, because weight can indeed influence your voice.

I think having slight variations with the VO is a fine idea, but I don't agree with limiting it to body type, let the players pick which altered voice they'd like.

I've played games that had voice modulation for character voices and it worked great. Even though the lines were the same (although they were still able to provide a few variations due to the limited voiceacting) you could have two characters sound completely different just by modifying the modulation of their voice.

It would be cost effective and provide a satisfactory solution to character voice customization, even if limits were imposed to prevent characters' voices from being made to high or too low. I still think it would work great as a slider in the character creation screen, with the default setting being in the middle where there is no modulation applied (unless their voice is higher or lower than normal already).

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

• 1 month later...
As a skinny guy with a deep voice I find this offensive

Sorry my intent was not to offend anyone. I was simply thinking of a quick easy solution. Since I started this post there have been other suggestions such as the slider to allow a fully customizable voice over, which imo, would be great. You can then have any character type with any voice type.

Voice modulation would be cool as long as it sounds right.

New actors won't happen, they're already paying to have the existing actors under contract for an extended period of time and I don't think they'd want to spend time having new ones record the Book of World Records most lines of dialogue ever recorded in a game.

This stuff works wonders.

I have already uploaded a BH video from youtube as an MP3 and played it through abletone live and added a reverb affect in order to make the BH sound like Bane from clone wars.

Cant play it like that as its just a sound clip, but the point is this stuff is super easy to do and sounds great. A pitch control can change the voice of songs to sound like a male or female.