Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

OH Guys Which 1.4 PVP build? is best?

Centures

In my opinion, yes, tactics is better now. Range nerf was worse than i thought it would be for assault tree. With tactics you get a speed buff, you can run it with harpoon cooldown reduced or increased chance to crit HIB and applying a slow with gut(i prefer harpoon cooldown reduced, because it helps you a lot with the range issue), and you have more protection when stunned (hahaha, operatives gonna have a hard time trying to kill me now). Assault still has the better burst dps, but is a pain not being able to start the fight from range. Tactics is more useful now, and dude...duuuude...get 3 stacks of pulse generator and go use pulse cannon when a lot of players are together, thats an amazing feeling! Edited by JeffSantos

well i still run a 7/3/31 assault, and i feel we got a buff this latest patch, sure our ranged damge isnt there anymore but...

sticky grenade have 30m range and it doesnt share cooldown with assault plastique, so do hib if you trigger plasma cell with hammer shot. and incendary round is more or less useless or very situational.

and our rotation have changed a bit in pvp it usually look like this,

sticky, hammer shot, depending on distance hammer shot or assault plastique, ion pulse, high impact bolt, stock strike not many people survive that.

I switched to tactics last night to try it. I've mostly been assault, but played tactics for a few weeks back in the day.

The tactics rotation is now much more natural. It used to take 5 GCDs to set up pulse cannon, which could be used every 8 GCDs. That left only 3 out of every 8 GCDs to do something other than spam fire or ion pulse. Boring.

Now that it only takes 3 GCDs to max pulse cannon, the rotation is much more varied and enjoyable. Plus pulse cannon totally melts a tank if you can catch him and his guarded target.

I switched to tactics last night to try it. I've mostly been assault, but played tactics for a few weeks back in the day.

The tactics rotation is now much more natural. It used to take 5 GCDs to set up pulse cannon, which could be used every 8 GCDs. That left only 3 out of every 8 GCDs to do something other than spam fire or ion pulse. Boring.

Now that it only takes 3 GCDs to max pulse cannon, the rotation is much more varied and enjoyable. Plus pulse cannon totally melts a tank if you can catch him and his guarded target.

When you respawn or start a match, immediately use the PBAoE (I cant remember the name offhand) it gives you one stack.... as i run toward the scrum I use it again. By the time i get there I have 2 stacks, or even 3 stacks depending on the map and how long the door takes to open, and distance you have to run. by the time i get to a fight i have full stacks. i did it pre patch and still do it now. Its nice way to start a fight, popping HTL, crit buff, and Pulse cannon.

That said, I use HTL prior to my Pulse cannons to help me get the full rotation. are you guys doing the same or are you not finding people interrupting or knocking you back? just curious

INow that it only takes 3 GCDs to max pulse cannon, the rotation is much more varied and enjoyable. Plus pulse cannon totally melts a tank if you can catch him and his guarded target.

Aye, agreed on that. I switched tot actics last night and was having a lot more fun with it then I had in the past when I tried it. It's a lot less restrictive and as you said seems to just flow more natural. I was still usually number 1 in dps in most matches and is fun burning a clump of people down at once. Just got to get used to what i need to be doing and when.

That said, I use HTL prior to my Pulse cannons to help me get the full rotation. are you guys doing the same or are you not finding people interrupting or knocking you back? just curious

I keep forgetting to do this but yes I'd recommend it. So many times I will start pulse cannon and get knocked back and just sigh in frustration lol. I just have to get better acclimated to naturally thinking about using HTL now that I'm running with it... forget I have it half the time still.

Hold the line doesn't prevent stuns, but I guess you have a point there with knockbacks. I usually assume it's not going to tick all 4 times, but still getting two people for two ticks is around 8k in one GCD, which is quite respectable. I usually try to save HTL for when I get force slowed or a marauder slow to kite them. So, basically, I use it defensively, rather than offensively.

As to the OP's question, I respecced to tactics the day before 1.4 seeing that it was going to get a buff. I don't see myself going back to assault except for fun and a change of pace. The playing field is just more evened out than it used to be and tactics is a lot of fun to play.

well i still run a 7/3/31 assault, and i feel we got a buff this latest patch, sure our ranged damge isnt there anymore but...

sticky grenade have 30m range and it doesnt share cooldown with assault plastique, so do hib if you trigger plasma cell with hammer shot. and incendary round is more or less useless or very situational.

sticky, hammer shot, depending on distance hammer shot or assault plastique, ion pulse, high impact bolt, stock strike not many people survive that.

Are you sure they don't share a cooldown? That's a BIG bug if they don't.

I know on my commando they don't share a cd anymore and sticky grenade range didn't get nerfed on them either. I would only assume that vanguard's cd's aren't shared anymore either because of this.

Wait...are you sure SG doesn't share a CD with AP? that maybe a bug

EDIT: tested, your right :eek: I think we're even more broken now...

Edited by gloryday

With the shared cooldown, I haven't used sticky in months! Can anyone remind me if it enables HIB? I seem to remember it did on mobs.

It does on standard and weak mobs because it stuns them till it blows. Strong and above and pvp it does not.

I've been loving my Assault build post 1.4.

This is what I've been killing fools with:

1. Sitcky Nade when closing the distance

2. Ion Pulse to put DOT on

3. Assault Plastique gets thrown

4. HiB then stock strike

5. That stock strike usually gives me a free HiB to shoot another one at their face

That is a ton of burst that anybody with low expertise will die in less then 10 seconds...

Also, I am hardly using Inc. Round... yet my DPS numbers haven't dipped even without the massive DOT that Inc. Round puts out.

I'm still testing some stuff... but from my honest opinion Assault is still one of the most powerful DPS builds in the game.

Not a bug, patch notes specifically say sticky and plastique are not on the same CD now.

Small bone thrown to assault commandos as it gives another attack to use when melee has closed on them.

Also allows vanguards to still nade from 30m albeit with a weaker grenade, doesn't matter to them as much in melee range.

Useful for packs with an elite/boss with adds. You get to have your AOE cake and eat it with the single target big hitter.

Also, I am hardly using Inc. Round... yet my DPS numbers haven't dipped even without the massive DOT that Inc. Round puts out.

IR never had a massive DoT, it sucks for damage, it was, is and will be for the foreseeable future, a buff for cannon attacks and a guaranteed trigger for HiB.

3k damage over 18 seconds (12 GCD) is abysmal damage. Your plasma cell DoT eclipses that by a vast amount.

Edited by Gyronamics

so basically it's a toss up between Assault and tactics and shield is good for surviving low level PVE?

Well i shall have to try both. Right now i kinda went half and half but i think i might respec and go more tactics since i tend to like gutstrike more than the incindary round anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno how to deal vs Rage marauders now.......I'm assault and now they over damage me if I try close combat and I can't kite them cause they can leap you 2 times and slow you with Crush :_

And........the "reactive shield" is sh*t and every time I use Adrenaline Rush as a defensive CC I can hear Bioware's employers laughting at me.

pd: I only have 3 WH and the WH weapon....all the rest is full BMy

Edited by Royox

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.