Crafting skills -- can I ignore them, and what else should I learn?

SillyDan

Hello all,

If I'm not interested in crafting items, will I be fine going through the main quests using only the weapons and armor I buy or find? If so, what non-crafting crew skills would you recommend instead? (I'm thinking Slicing for the free money lying around, Diplomacy to buy light side points, and one other.)

If it matters for a non-crafting strategy, I'm alternating between a Juggernaut and a Commando.

Thanks again!

yes it is doable without any crafting skill crew.

Some people level with only gathering skills to sell their products on the GTN.

Slicing and diplomacy are also a good choice as you mention, I would complement them with a gathering skill (archeology, scavenging or bioanalysis).

Personally I like diplomacy for the light side /dark side points, and also the companion gifts.

The only thing with ignoring crafting is that you miss out on some relatively cheap gear boosts, I quite liked sending my synthweaver some materials so he could equip rakata belt/bracers as soon as he turned 50.

I'd say go with slicing, treasure hunting and diplomacy.

Hello all,

If I'm not interested in crafting items, will I be fine going through the main quests using only the weapons and armor I buy or find? If so, what non-crafting crew skills would you recommend instead? (I'm thinking Slicing for the free money lying around, Diplomacy to buy light side points, and one other.)

If it matters for a non-crafting strategy, I'm alternating between a Juggernaut and a Commando.

Thanks again!

You don't need crafting at all. I am like you and I don't like it. I tried when I was leveling, but I just hated it. It wasted my money and my skill needed to get pretty high in order for it to pay off. So when I got to 50 I was like, ok no crafting, but I want to make money so I'll go with Slicing and It really pays off. You get random credit boxes and the materials you find sell quite well on the GTN even in the lower levels of the skill so I definitely recommend taking slicing. And one thing I have noticed is that crafters are lazy and would rather buy materials off the GTN rather than go find them themselves so just take any other gathering or mission skill you want. Good luck.

The only thing with ignoring crafting is that you miss out on some relatively cheap gear boosts, I quite liked sending my synthweaver some materials so he could equip rakata belt/bracers as soon as he turned 50.

^ This.

If you care about companion affection you can get gifts for them from the diplomacy missions too.

Agreed. The belt/bracers are a nice boost. There are other items that are quite useful to be crafted at end game.

Unfortunately, too many of them are BoP.

If the OP wishes to not craft, those are three very good skills to have.

Biochem materials, and treasure hunting are both in high demand, as are purple slicing mats and purple missions.

If you want to use mostly orange gear while you're leveling, you're going to need a source of Armoring, Mods, and Enhancements, as well as Barrels/Hilts and Color Crystals. You can pick up Mods and Enhancements pretty easily with Commendations, but even if you choose Commendations for all your quest rewards, you'll still need to buy stuff from the GTN, and Armoring of the right type/level can be hard to come by.

Personally, I found Cybertech to be pretty easy. The nice thing about crafting in SWTOR is that you don't really do it yourself. You send your companions off to do it, and the stuff just shows up in your bag when they're done. If you're going to choose gathering skills, you're doing at least 75% of the crafting work anyway. I'd choose Scavenging, Underworld Trading, and Cybertech. Just make gear for yourself & your companions, sell any extra mats or gear on the GTN. It's easy & there's plenty of money to be made too.

With my first character all I did was Scavanging and Sliceing all the way to 50, and then send the materials to my next character (trooper) with Underworld Trading and Scavanging added Armortech and was able to craft items to lvl400, and reverse most of that stuff and got better schems and a few peices of Armor for said trooper and companions. Now I am diong the same for a Smuggle with Armstech.

Basically the stucture of the game in very dependent on Legacy, and how to "pass down" items, credits etc to lower levels to help aid them in their journey. When the credits earned by my 50 doing dailies is sent to other characters to buy character perks, to help with speeding up affection and experince, which helps in companion's ablities, and faster experence for characters...

The other things is with Legacy you can mail items cross faction, and you can make items for the other faction like orange belts and wrist bracers.

just another way to do things....

If u despise gathering and crafting - consider to pick up Slicing. It's basically a skill to collect credits off the ground ...

I would also recommend at least one of the mission skills types to get companion gifts. Diplomacy is a nice one to get as it also awards Light or Dark side points. Treasury Hunting also awards lockboxes - those have creds or random gear inside.