Star Wars Galaxies in front for MMO most worthy of resurrection poll.

Goji-Phen

On Massively.com

Leaderboard: MMO most worthy of resurrection

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/leaderboard-mmo-most-worthy-of-resurrection/

Wow. Its in front by a mile. And rightly so. The only real problem with SWG is that it was ahead of its time. Think about it compared to these theme park pick up and play arcadey MMORPG's we have now, and had then too.

Imo it was well in advance of WOW and the dynamics of the game and the yway the community built it made it well in advance of this too.

Id say add swtor's combat and the story for leveling to SWG and you would have almost the perfect MMO.

of course it is. That's because MMOs that get shut down are crap. Look at the choices you have. The only one that is midly interesting is Earth and Beyond and even that was just ok.

Hell I'd even vote for it because there isn't any other game that looks midly interesting.

Edited by jarjarloves

of course it is. That's because MMOs that get shut down are crap. Look at the choices you have. The only one that is midly interesting is Earth and Beyond and even that was just ok.

Hell I'd even vote for it because there isn't any other game that looks midly interesting.

lol

haters gonna hate

yes because polls asking "which is the best of these games that were so bad they god shut down" matter... not to mention when said polls are conducted with tiny uncontrolled sample sizes on a random (and poor) game website

that poll is worth about as much as one posted on a random internet forum... I mean I was able to vote, then open another browser and vote again... lmao

SWG was an alright game for it's time but it was far from anything spectacular which was proven by it's performance

It kinda already is getting a resurrection. SWG is being remade up to the last 15min of the game, and you'd be able to play it for free. So...ya its coming back in an emu format.

the EMU is being made (poorly I might add when I tried it) Pre-NGE so how is that "remade up to the last 15min of the game" ?

Edited by Liquidacid

yes because polls asking "which is the best of these games that were so bad they god shut down" matter... not to mention when said polls are conducted with tiny uncontrolled sample sizes on a random (and poor) game website

that poll is worth about as much as one posted on a random internet forum... I mean I was able to vote, then open another browser and vote again... lmao

SWG was an alright game for it's time but it was far from anything spectacular which was proven by it's performance

the EMU is being made (poorly I might add when I tried it) Pre-NGE so how is that "remade up to the last 15min of the game" ?

Thats a different EMU, theres another EMU being made in the NGE format going up to the last 15min of the game.

I'd be there right now. Out of every game I have ever played, it is the only one that I truly miss. As it was at the end would be great, but if they spent a little time on it, and did some animation work, it would be even better.

Sooo true, wish I was still in the Eisley Cantina :(

Grrr my college's internet dc'd right as I was posting... :(

I had a huge post..but here's some of it...

IF (and it's not worthing thinking that it would happen) SWG was to be ressurected, all, if not most of the quests would make 0 sense. The game ended off with how Episode VI ended: The Emperor, Vader, and the Deathstar II were destroyed. The New Republic formed and the Empire was in ruins.

New Republic and Imperial Remnant factions (just rename current ones?) would have to be introduced mission wise and a new set of missions would need to be made. Most of SWG would be pointless...

"Empire is invaded the Rebels in Coronet you say? Well there is no more 'Empire' of which you speak...and 'Rebels?' We have been the New Republic for a bit now incase you didn't notice...we kind of liberated the galaxy...."

Edited by Eillack

Your signature confirms that:

• You like half baked content
  • You like half baked games
  • You like corporations taking a poorly made game slap a big name on it to attract consumers and make a profit on a game that didn't even receive new content since 2005.

It also took forever to get credits if you weren't a trader, dancer, didn't know how to work the market, or got unlucky with loot drops. <<....Least for myself anyway, it was a pain in the *** least in TOR credits are easy to come by so you don't feel piss poor all the time. Not to mention the cities....all the empty cities...

*Shakes Dinosaur frantically!*

They are everywhere! EVERYWHERE! So...so much turning....so many obstacles in the way....so many..

*Shakes in a dark corner*

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Grrr my college's internet dc'd right as I was posting... :(

I had a huge post..but here's some of it...

IF (and it's not worthing thinking that it would happen) SWG was to be ressurected, all, if not most of the quests would make 0 sense. The game ended off with how Episode VI ended: The Emperor, Vader, and the Deathstar II were destroyed. The New Republic formed and the Empire was in ruins.

New Republic and Imperial Remnant factions (just rename current ones?) would have to be introduced mission wise and a new set of missions would need to be made. Most of SWG would be pointless...

"Empire is invaded the Rebels in Coronet you say? Well there is no more 'Empire' of which you speak...and 'Rebels?' We have been the New Republic for a bit now incase you didn't notice...we kind of liberated the galaxy...."

What? Star Wars Galaxies takes place somewhere in between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, anywhere from 1 to 2 ABY. This is BEFORE Return of the Jedi in which case the Rebel Alliance is still at war with the Empire. The New Republic and Imperial Remnant do not come about until much later.

Learn your timeline before posting some stupid crap like that.

What? Star Wars Galaxies takes place somewhere in between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, anywhere from 1 to 2 ABY. This is BEFORE Return of the Jedi in which case the Rebel Alliance is still at war with the Empire. The New Republic and Imperial Remnant do not come about until much later.

When Galaxies was shutdown the Second Death Star was destroyed. I spent the last 15 minutes of the game's life sitting on a hill in the pirate OP on Endor, with a bunch of friends, looking up at the burning wreckage of the massive station. In other words, by the end of the game we were at the end of Episode VI. Learn the timeline of where the game was when it shutdown. It was at the end of RotJ.

When Galaxies was shutdown the Second Death Star was destroyed. I spent the last 15 minutes of the game's life sitting on a hill in the pirate OP on Endor, with a bunch of friends, looking up at the burning wreckage of the massive station. In other words, by the end of the game we were at the end of Episode VI. Learn the timeline of where the game was when it shutdown. It was at the end of RotJ.

If this were a resurrection of the original game, it would still have to be in the original timeline which was before RotJ, regardless of the endgame event. Otherwise it would just be a new game. Learn what a resurrection actually means..

If this were a resurrection of the original game, it would still have to be in the original timeline which was before RotJ, regardless of the endgame event. Otherwise it would just be a new game. Learn what a resurrection actually means..

I know what resurrection means. All I did was correct your statement that Galaxies took place between ANH and ESB, which it did for MOST of it's life. By the end, as I pointed out, it was at the end ofRotJ. If the game were to be resurrected then it would be at ThAT point in the game's life cycle. In other words we would have the game as it was when it shutdown PLUS new content that would be added.

To resurrect it means you would have to bring back everything, including the ball of fire that was the second Death Star. Otherwise, if you start from scratch, then it would be a whole new game, just as you pointed out. Care to explain how I need to "learn what resurrection actually means"? Don't tell me that they would use the original game, either. SOE lost the code for that. That is why the EMU creators were not sued by Sony. They are rebuilding that code from scratch, piece by piece.

thing is SWG is unlike most MMOs that shut down. and I mean from a busniess POV.

SWG was doing alright, not great but it presumably wasn't going bankrupt or anything. SWG shut down because SOE lost the lisence. this is differnt from most MMOs that shut down because, in most cases they're complete failures.

Your signature confirms that:

• You like half baked content
  • You like half baked games
  • You like corporations taking a poorly made game slap a big name on it to attract consumers and make a profit on a game that didn't even receive new content since 2005.

L2sarcasm

I know what resurrection means. All I did was correct your statement that Galaxies took place between ANH and ESB, which it did for MOST of it's life. By the end, as I pointed out, it was at the end ofRotJ. If the game were to be resurrected then it would be at ThAT point in the game's life cycle. In other words we would have the game as it was when it shutdown PLUS new content that would be added.

To resurrect it means you would have to bring back everything, including the ball of fire that was the second Death Star. Otherwise, if you start from scratch, then it would be a whole new game, just as you pointed out. Care to explain how I need to "learn what resurrection actually means"? Don't tell me that they would use the original game, either. SOE lost the code for that. That is why the EMU creators were not sued by Sony. They are rebuilding that code from scratch, piece by piece.

So you're telling me that if we add that ball of fire that was the Second Death Star, then we'll suddenly have SWG again? No, more like Star Wars: The New Republic. Star Wars Galaxies started out before RotJ and was like that for 99% of the game's life. That's what I played through, that's what everyone else played through. But this is pointless. The game isn't going to be officially resurrected. The EMU is being worked on so to me, the game is still alive.

After reading some old interview with Gordon Walton (I think) where he was explaining what they had planned for SWG before release and what it actually was because of various reasons, I think the game had potential. Problem is that the significant word is had.

After release version was quite a mess they were trying to fix and in some cases make sense.They had over 30 different classes with skills and things. Quite many were pointless or bugged. They made loads of errors during the running of the game, and it did not start at CU or NGE. There were ridiculous amounts of bugs and when reading the forums it seemed that half their development time went to balancing and rebalancing jedis and bh:s and fixing their bugs and exploits.

If they want to resurrect SWG, maybe they should start from scratch instead of taking that pile of bugs and exploits the early versions were and try to fix those.

You should have played the last day or use the internet *gasp* before hateful posts pal. :rolleyes: Don't ***** to me about what SOE allowed on the last days. And FYI after Hoth was put into SWG it was made official that SWG was Ep V+ :rolleyes: ...

Edited by Eillack

SWG was about as true to canon as that star wars kinect dancing game is so why are you guys arguing about what time period it took place in? ... they didn't stick to what belonged in the timeline anyway so it doesn't matter

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure Leeland Chee even said something about it being an alternate alternate universe.