The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS Juggs, for PvE, which set bonus do you use?

wadecounty

For Juggernauts, if you can get campaign armor and Battlemaster shells, you basically have 3 set bonuses you can choose from. You can either take the traditional minimum range reduction on Saber Throw (cleans up rotation a bit in long fights), the 2 piece Marauder bonus to lower the cost of Vicious Throw helping you in execute phases, or the PvP 10% damage bonus for 5 seconds after charge.

Personally, I've gone with the PvP set bonus. Thinking about the current content, in HM EC, you're looking at 5+ charges a fight (the last time we did Kephess I had 22 charges according to my logs), and even with only 5 charges, that's 10% damage bonus for 25 seconds, basically an extra Adrenal or click Relic. Its especially nice for burst damage phases, of which there are plenty on the Kephess fight.

Thoughts on this? Which set bonus do you use, and which do you think would be the best for a Juggernaut in endgame?

For Juggernauts, if you can get campaign armor and Battlemaster shells, you basically have 3 set bonuses you can choose from. You can either take the traditional minimum range reduction on Saber Throw (cleans up rotation a bit in long fights), the 2 piece Marauder bonus to lower the cost of Vicious Throw helping you in execute phases, or the PvP 10% damage bonus for 5 seconds after charge.

Personally, I've gone with the PvP set bonus. Thinking about the current content, in HM EC, you're looking at 5+ charges a fight (the last time we did Kephess I had 22 charges according to my logs), and even with only 5 charges, that's 10% damage bonus for 25 seconds, basically an extra Adrenal or click Relic. Its especially nice for burst damage phases, of which there are plenty on the Kephess fight.

Thoughts on this? Which set bonus do you use, and which do you think would be the best for a Juggernaut in endgame?

Good question. In just comparing the 3 above, and thinking about my experiences, im more often CD locked with VT then Rage limited. I never felt the rotation a real issue (im usually quite high in DPS on our EC runs), so I think I would also go for the PvP bonus (which I don't' have atm....it requires PvP of which i have no interest)

The PVP set also gives you a bit of self healing. I use Intercede to dodge berserk stomps from Toth and to escape Gift of the Masters, both times when the healers can be stressed.

Personally I mix the PVE Juggernaut and Marauder sets for raiding. As you mention, there's a lot of leaping around in EC - and any time you could leap, you could throw a saber, so I don't find the range reduction that useful. I find myself more likely to botch my rotation during execute phases, so getting a cost reduction there can be quite helpful.

Getting a 10% damage bonus five times for 5 seconds each isn't nothing, but it also isn't that much, either. That's either five Ravages or five Impale + Shatter + Scream (plus maybe one tick of Impale bleed). By my parses, that's a total bonus between 3k and 4k across the whole fight, or less than 1% of total damage. I think either of the two rage management set bonuses is probably more important to your overall DPS.

Intresting idea taking the 2 piece pvp and 2 piece sent sets.

I have been running with the 4 piece pve set and i can say I would probably notice the loss of saber throw in my button mashing, not so much from the damage standpoint, more the extra focus loss than anything.

Intresting idea taking the 2 piece pvp and 2 piece sent sets.

I have been running with the 4 piece pve set and i can say I would probably notice the loss of saber throw in my button mashing, not so much from the damage standpoint, more the extra focus loss than anything.

Depends on the spec. While i was playing vigilance i'd agree with you, but as i have respecced to focus i dont find me using saber throw at all outside of movement phases. If i screw up the rotation i'd rather use strike, as it reduces 2 active cooldowns. Personally i will go for 2 piece mara and jugg gear as soon as our guild does another ec hm, really miss the cheaper dispatch.

I would think the 4 set Vindicator PvE and PvP bonuses outweigh the 2/4 from the Marauder, which makes your execute go from 3 to 2, and obviously the 4 set has nothing to do with Juggs...

Personally, as a Jugg - I have no problems with rage, I keep my sunder up, smash, and do some stuff that makes things not really cost rage, such as speccing that leap makes force scream cost 0 rage.

I've always had a question about this, does the minimum range saber throw really make a difference in dps for vengeance spec? I can see it being vital because you can use it combined with smash as a rage filler instead of using assault. I haven't used the set bonus since my columi days so idk, and I'm full BH now. Thoughts?

I've often thought about this and agreed that the pvp bonus looked more beneficial.

Due to the changes of Empowering Rage, which reduces the CD of Enraged by 20 combined with the pve set bonus of reducing the CD by 5 seconds; Enrage now as a 35 second CD. Big bonus for Rage/focus management.

I've always had a question about this, does the minimum range saber throw really make a difference in dps for vengeance spec? I can see it being vital because you can use it combined with smash as a rage filler instead of using assault. I haven't used the set bonus since my columi days so idk, and I'm full BH now. Thoughts?

It is usefull for vengeance.

As a ragebuilder filler, as means to build up armor penetration. On the other hand lack of this bonus makes you intercede healer/rdps for throw. It is good for ops group. I would go for full set as vengeance, but no specyfic reason. maybe I am to much used to throwing saber on all ranges. Kinda want to test mara/jugger mix soon, with reduced VT cost.

For Rage Spec you WANT AND NEED first bonus, it is so great for rage jugger, you get your 10-Rage-Enrage with full shockwave stacks/free smash every 35 sec - really powerfull (order of shockwaves: Enrage>Force Crush>Choke>Force Crush>Enrage>Force Crush - One more full shockwave in a row than before 1.4 - and remember that if you time it correctly you can use last 2 of 6 ticks of FC to build half Shockwave to partially fill gap on 7th smash).

You dont need saber range reduction, you will be forced to intercede and charge back for Domination, so you will just Intercede healer>throw>charge - no changes in rotation there.

I would go for PVP 10% dmg after Charge anf Enrage CD reduction in Rage, that is if I only got that patience and credits to swap everything just for testing (got my old champion shells somewhere :D).