Flying mounts at 50 legacy?

DarthWoad

All of that was true in WoW and EQII. It's a lot of work, true, but very possible.

I never said it wasn't possible. I am attempting to shed light on the fact that the implementation of flying mounts would not be as simple a task as others think. It would in fact be a massive undertaking. Given the state of SWTOR at this time, it would not be prudent to redesign the game. EA/SW will have to wait and see if it is worth the effort. That will take an increase in player base from the Freemium model and a proper analysis of their monitization effort with regard to their Freemium Store. If enough proffit merrits a redesign we may see one but, not until then.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly what happened in WoW when they introduced flying mounts, i for one say no to the idea, just because it'll ruin the gameplay in total.

Actually took sometime before it showed result, like the major reduction in gold price of the mount and training.

800g for a 60% and 5000 for 310% , which end up in patch 3.2, game just went downhill from there in every area.

But yeah flying is cool in design but bad in practice.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

I never said it wasn't possible. I am attempting to shed light on the fact that the implementation of flying mounts would not be as simple a task as others think. It would in fact be a massive undertaking. Given the state of SWTOR at this time, it would not be prudent to redesign the game. EA/SW will have to wait and see if it is worth the effort. That will take an increase in player base from the Freemium model and a proper analysis of their monitization effort with regard to their Freemium Store. If enough proffit merrits a redesign we may see one but, not until then.

It's probably best if they start the work early though. Even if they never intend to add Flying Mounts (strange since this game is probably the best suited to them), it would behoove them to consider how the planets are structured. While some planets like Alderaan and Tatooine this seems to be possible, I think the 'City' planets would be a nightmare.

Nar Shaddaa for instance would have tons of invisible walls and I think it would be better if those planets just not allow for them.

Flying mounts would be extremely expensive to put in place - basically a redesign of the entire existing worlds to accomodate aerial views and landing on places that are currently not designed for that. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it would not be trivial, simple, or cheap.

Besides the expense, flying mounts have impacts on game play that aren't minor. When we could fly wherever in WoW, it was nothing to mount up, fly to wherever your quest objective was, and drop directly down onto it. Easier? Yes. But it made questing trivial, eliminated much of the importance of the landscape, and generally (IMO) had a detrimental effect on gameplay. Resource gathering, for example, became very vulture-like.

I wouldn't want to see flying mounts. The amount of time and money it would take to implement that feature for the questionable benefits would be better spent on sooooo many other things.