The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

sith jugg leveling help

StormzFist

can someone point me in the right direction about rotations,gearing,companions etc. my first time playing swtor and im loving it but all the stuff i google is over 1 yr old and isnt really up to date for this patch.

thanks!

It's simple...kill stuff.

Stop googling for advice and pay attention to the abilities' descriptions as you acquire them.

To begin with, what level are you.

I'm working on my third jug and would be happy to help. We just gotta narrow it down and overstate the simple necessities before advanced training begins. Otherwise the post replies could end up a mile long lol.

I

I'm working on my third jug and would be happy to help. We just gotta narrow it down and overstate the simple necessities before advanced training begins. Otherwise the post replies could end up a mile long lol.

So true. my longest posts are usually on these kinds of threads. Im OK with it today though...work is boring, and got time on my hands :p

OP: even though the forum guides are a bit "dated", nothing for a DPS jugg has changed much. Rage has dropped a bit in effectiveness (though after 1.4 this won't really be the case). Immortal's DPS has been gutted to the point that its detrimental (IMO) to level as one compared to the DPS specs. rotation really doesn't exist until 50. but when leveling, prioritize sunder on CD...it is THE rage builder for us. ravage would be next, and as you gain skills you'll want to add them to the fold. Rage has a totally different prio list then Vengeance, as does Immortal, so even though Im long winded, I really don't feel like giving you an A to Z...there's plenty of time as you level to learn the class.

when leveling, you will want Quinn. You can run the DPS companions if your immortal spec, but the damage cut we got doesn't make it really worth it at the higher levels. Id go Vengeance (or Rage post 1.4). I use Vette until I get quinn (he's your next comp), and use him solely to cap.

the DPS comps are fun, but in DPS spec pre-50, you will incur enough downtime that using them isn't as efficient as using quinn. There's allot of personal opinions about both, but after leveling multiple jugg's, and running some rough true time numbers (actual time it takes to kill the same amount of mobs in the same areas), DPS spec with quinn pulls ahead of Immortal with X DPS comp, or DPS spec with DPS comp.

But it's not enough to keep those who really want a "tanky" feel to have to worry about it. Some people are fine with running a DPS comp, but be prepared to have significant downtime between fights healing you or your comp on a regular basis. But realistically...whatever approach you enjoy the best will probably win out. Even if DPS + quinn is faster, if it feels like a drag to pull him out and use him, you won't enjoy it, even if it is faster. so try them all out and see what you like.

But keep in mind that unless they are equally geared, it isn't a good comparison at all. hoping over to Jaesa the second you get her will be a big disappointment...she is in all greens, and if you've been using quinn or Vette up tothen, they will probably be in a decent mix of blues and some purples...jaesa's output wont' compare until you get her equally geared. so make sure you are giving them a fair shake with appropriate gear before you write them off.

up to level 20, I'd max these 3 skills (in order):

Sundering Assault

Decimate

Single Saber Mastery

They will provide you with the most bang for your buck pre-20 (where you get the 10pt talents). the form you play in is inconsequential early on. prior to 20, unless your going rage Id actually suggest soresu form. the damage mitigation helps out early on, and the other stances don't provide enough of a DPS boost to matter pre-20.

at 20 if you want to do full blown rage or Vengeance, respec and pick up the 10 pt. skill from either tree (Shien form for vengeance, and Obliterate for rage). prioritize mods/gear that have higher Str bonuses then Endurance bonuses...even if your going the tank route. Endurance as a stat is inferior to your main stat 80% of the time. the only time i pick high End is when the piece is an obvious upgrade in more then one stat.

Other then that, just pay attention, and learn to use all your skills. An example: I was amazed at how few juggs use their hilt strike when soloing. It can easily down one weak mob in a single shot (which means its one less mob to beat on you...and that's a HUGE difference for a leveling jugg). but most people don't like using it because it's "only on a stunned mob". The solution is to always target a weak mob when you leap. smash right afterwords, and the automatically hilt strike...and it's dead.

stuff like that. Jugg is all about optimizing how and when to use your skills. i know most classes say the same thing (I play allot more classes as well), but none of my other classes are impacted as heavily as my jugg when I'm NOT optimizing skill use. It's one of the reasons Jugg can gain a rep for being "bad DPS". it's mostly lack of optimization in those cases. Your also VERY gear dependent...we put out a craptun of physical DPS, and our stats and especially weapon damage impacts this heavily

Edited by Elyx

I just hit level 50 on my Juggy yesterday, so Im kind of fresh off the grind, and I did the entire run as Tank spec.

For questing I used Quinn as my companion exclusively and kept him geared as best as I could and rarely ever went down unless I tried to do something very very risky.

For leveling, I started every day off doing my PvP, and Flash Point Dailies. I didnt care if I won or lost any Warzone matches. I just wanted to complete two for the xp.

After that I would que up in Group Finder for one of the Daily Flash Points. Being qued as Tank meant much shorter wait times for me so I could knock out the FP Daily pretty quick.

Then I would run off to do my usual questing on whatever planet I was on.

Doing it this way leveled me up very fast. I was always atleast 2 or 3 levels above the content that was required for the planet I was on. Wich was nice, because being tank spec meant lower dps, but because I was always higher level that the mobs, they were easy to defeat. I even hit level 50 very early. Right after I landed on Voss and did a hand full of missions there.

Plus I was decently geared most of the time. Doing Flashpoints and PvP dailies pays off pretty well in regards to gear and credits. I would also use the commendations that I got as rewards from questing and dailies to keep my gear modded and up to snuff.

But as far as Rotations go, I really cant say for you. I dont know your spec, and I feel that its kind of up to your playstyle and how you spec your character. Just go with what feels comfortable to you I guess.

Hope my little post helps. Happy Hunting

Edited by Apache

Hi,

just fresh 50 rookie juggernaut too. I'm full Immortal tank and also leveled as immortal all the way.

All the way i went with Vette and i used Quinn only if i needed to down some Heroic boss (which took time to nibble it down, but was pretty safe)

Advantage: Quinn and Vette use same armor and stuff, so if you cant keep both companions updated (money!), you just switch gear for them when needed.

Biochem!: i went with biochem

Advantage: you can reverse-engineer medpacks and buffs and create 'purple' ones (or you buy them off the GTN, which i did, as it was much cheeper than RE it) - these purple ones are *not* consumed on usage! big advantage in no downtime for me ..

Explain:

OP in above post said that with Vette you have to heal after fight => downtime - it was *not* my case, i just always used purple medpacks whenever it was off downtime and it was really enough to keep me going like killing machine without need to stop and heal. Also, because i ran Flashpoints, i had always like 2-3 levels above content, which also helped not to get damaged too much.

In all the way to 50, i died doing normal content maybe 10 times, the immortal dmg mitigation is amazing.

note:

Vette has to have up-to-date stuff respecting her level though, to kill things quickly.

OP in above post said that with Vette you have to heal after fight => downtime - it was *not* my case, i just always used purple medpacks whenever it was off downtime and it was really enough to keep me going like killing machine without need to stop and heal. .

Excellent point. I never leveled with Bio on mine, though my current main jugg is using it to make stims for herself and for the guild.

Only downside to using this is you don't have the other crafts available. they all have their benefits. synthweave allows you to gear yourself much better, artifice is amazing for your weapon damage (the hilts from comms really suck for stats), and cybertech (one of my favorite leveling crafts) will supply your with close to 3/4 of the mods you'll need...plus earrings (though biotech does the implants, another bonus for Bio).

Oddly enough, on my second Jugg I actually stuck with gathering skills and used my alts to craft with...i kept him up on stims, hilts, mods, enhancements, as well as gearing up both his force user comps and his armormech comps with what he farmed. once I hit 50, I leveled synthweaving with the leftover crystals, made his rakata wrists and belt, and then leveled Bio for the Rakata stims. got the best of all the worlds, but it did take a bit more work. but IMHO, it was far faster then running FP after FP and hoping for your columi/rakata wrist/belt to drop. I actually got synthweaving leveled up in about 2 hours (watched TV while I did it).

Edited by Elyx