The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.4Sage/Sorc are ranged classes, and as such... should be able to keep 30m Force Stun

OrionSol

with all due respect to the pvp crowd out there these changes absolutely suck for ranged pve. I often use my stun from max range in pve scenarios if cc is broken or if I want to stun a trash mob before it can cast something. There is no way I'm going to be using my stun anymore in pve if the range is reduced to 10m. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth when changes like these go in game.

As for the pvp aspect of this as a BH arsenal merc I can tell you reducing my stun to 10m is terrible. Not only do I get the worst suvivability and mobility in pvp in the game now you want me to wait until a marauder or sin is 10m away to be able to stun? thanks for making it harder for me to escape or survive.

They don't make sense for PvP either, nor were people complaining about it being 30m range. I can't recall seeing a complaint about overload either, but Bioware in their lack of wisdom deemed these changes necessary for balance...

And sad thing is common sense, feedback, logic will all by the wayside on Bioware's ears in asking for a u-turn on such retarded changes.

They don't make sense for PvP either, nor were people complaining about it being 30m range. I can't recall seeing a complaint about overload either, but Bioware in their lack of wisdom deemed these changes necessary for balance...

And sad thing is common sense, feedback, logic will all by the wayside on Bioware's ears in asking for a u-turn on such retarded changes.

But people WERE complaining about all the cc in PvP. Thats why the moniker Stun Wars became so popular. Reducing the range on a stun makes it able to affect fewer people. This is Bioware's attempt to reduce the CC in Pvp. Will it work? I am not sure, I would love to hear from people on the PTS about balance and what not. Is it game breaking for PvE, hardly. It will make some fights slightly more difficult, but its always possible to stay with 10 meters of a mob and not get hit by melee. and if its ranged 30 meters or 10 meters doesnt make a difference

But people WERE complaining about all the cc in PvP. Thats why the moniker Stun Wars became so popular. Reducing the range on a stun makes it able to affect fewer people. This is Bioware's attempt to reduce the CC in Pvp. Will it work? I am not sure, I would love to hear from people on the PTS about balance and what not. Is it game breaking for PvE, hardly. It will make some fights slightly more difficult, but its always possible to stay with 10 meters of a mob and not get hit by melee. and if its ranged 30 meters or 10 meters doesnt make a difference

Yes, but that's an issue due to the abundance of cc distributed among the classes. The 10m range on stun for mercs and sorcs is just plain retarded, they are ranged classes. It's not like it's hard to make the powertech and assassin version work at 10m if that's what they want to do.

BW could have avoid all this if they added diminish returns to cc abilities like in wow. First, stun last full pvp duration, second stun last half as long, and third stun last half as long as second stun duration. As for pure cc abilities should give full resolve when they expire.

a root, is not a stun

Roots only need to be shorten so as to force pvp players to reapply them more often. Perhaps even give commanods a temporary ability that grants abilities casting while moving and knock back immunity to commandos as there are a few abilities in game that more less grant immunity such as mara 99 percent damage reduction, shadows short immunity to force and tech attacks, sniper's entrench ability. Commando just need more utility. The knock back or casting as you are moving will greatly help commandos with melee and especially in huttball.

Edited by Knockerz

This is the worst change possible ...

Why do they have to nerf any of the classes? Was their any complaints at all?

is BioWare going to be like every other game producer that keeps nerfing, nerfing, nerfing?

Leave the classes alone. . .

God, this is so aggravating

IF IT' S NOT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT

Edited by KarterJK

I wonder what kind of gasket the community would blow if BioWare also chose to bring Force Lift/Whirlwind in line with other comparable abilities, IE., not usable against targets in combat.

The bottom line is, with the sheer number of CC abilities in TOR, BioWare has to do damage control. PvP is absolutely dominated by CC, and that's no fun at all. Reducing the range of abilities is a good way to balance them in PvP without affecting PvE. If you thought about it, you'd realize that you don't "have" to be 30 meters away from a mob in PvE.

They could have reduced the stun duration. They could have increased the cooldown, or given it a super-low chance of successfully stunning the target. would you prefer any of those ways of balancing over the reduced range? I doubt it. BioWare is going to balance CC abilities in PvP. Be thankful they are going about it in a way that has very little effect on PvE overall.

Despite the hyperbole in this thread, a 10 meter range on Force Stun doesn't change it's function, not in PvE. If the mob is ranged, it doesn't matter whether you stand 30 meters or 10 meters away from it, it will stay at range. And melee mobs are going to be within 10 meters of you in combat. Admittedly, it might be less convenient to have to actually move to hit a mob that's 11 or 12 meters away, but really, if the worst that happened is one situational ability became "less convenient," consider yourselves lucky. (My Shadow ALWAYS has to move to hit targets outside of 10 meters, which can be pretty troublesome while tanking. I really won't mind if my Sorcerer is in the same boat for one, single, situational ability.)

PvP balance always adversely affects PvE, and vice versa. This change has a rather slight affect on your character's functionality in PvE. I think people need to learn to pick their battles; This one isn't worth fighting.

Shadows/Assassins and Merc/Commandos have much stronger cases in favor of leaving the ability alone, but they wouldn't win their arguments, either. CC is simply too powerful in TOR, and BioWare has finally taken notice.

-Macheath.

Not true in the least bit.

My Assassin that was, before 1.3, never needed 30 meters for electrocute as it was MELEE fighting.

My healing Sorcerer keeps some distance and has used electrocute from 30 meters for either broken cc or an add in Heroics to help keep from a wipe.

If Sages, Sorcerers, Mercenaries, Commandos, and heck, Snipers, Gunslingers are supposed to be a RANGED class then you do not make them MELEE.