The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any other Tactics Vanguards out there excited about the new changes in 1.4?

Marqhill

I currently have a Tactics Vanguard that I've been levelling for a while. I was originally levelling as Assault but I just got sick of the swarms of Assault Spec Vanguards that popped up in the past few months. They're just everywhere so I wanted to do something different. A lot of people underestimate Tactics just because Assault puts up such a high damage number at the end of every war zone and that's apparently all most people care about regardless of how useful you actually were during the war zone. In any case, Tactics has actually been extremely fun and very VERY useful in war zones and actually does some solid AoE and single target elemental/internal damage. In any case, who else is excited about the buffs for Tactics?

After having studied the class and practiced with it for a bit I came to the conclusion that the bulk of the damage in this class comes from using Gut to snare you target and get the auto-critical hit proc on HIB, then spamming Ion PUlse to build stacks of Pulse Generator and then blast everyone with Pulse Cannon which is pure elemental damage. The buff to pulse generator is really going to smooth out the DPS rotation for Tactics in addition to getting a 10% damage buff on pulse generator. Now that Pulse Generator gives a 20% damage buff per stack and stacks 3 times that means it only takes 3 Ion Pulses to get the full bonus from Pulse Generator which is now 60% instead of 50%. I'm hoping to see a few more Tactics Vanguards like myself in PvP after this buff. Is anyone else excited about the changes?

My only issue is still with the clunky Gut ability in the tree. I may use a NORSE build and avoid taking or using Gut (the damage-to-ammo ratio is atrocious). While I'd love to have Hold the Line, my issue with this tree is still the lack of burst damage to kill healers. Even with Assault's current change, within 10 meters, that burst will still trump the sustained and enemy-healer-friendly damage that Tactics puts out.

obviously not everyone will be switching to it. I'm just looking to see if some other people will be playing it just to add some variety to the game. I think there might be MAYBE 1 tactics vanguard at level 50 currently. Although I'm not sure I've seen him. There's like 30'ish assault vanguards. I would just like to see a few more out there because it's a fun and interesting spec. But there's plenty of people who will probably be looking to do the huge damage number so assault isn't going anywhere. I just figured i'd ask! :D

Not overly excited, since i run 31/10 and the snare is taking a hit, that and cryo gets nerfed. If they bumped up the proc rates on the free shockstrike and the HiB proc, and gave the tactics tree a snare that wasn't 30% for 6 seconds and requires 4 meter range, i would be more excited.

I played tactics for a long time and liked it a lot. Having 8 seconds of no snare/no root/no knock back just takes your survivability to a new level. I was sick of getting snared/killed while running for health packs in civil war (hello saber throw)...a tactics build solved that problem. Want to score goals in hutt ball? Take tactics. You will also put up high dps numbers as fire pulse is wicked. The onlyh downer is gut which requires close distance and costs too much power.

Yes, I'm looking forward to playing Tactics again after the update. But in my mind this spec is still very odd. Does anyone else find it weird that for a spec with insane mobility, it's main damage dealer is a move that requires you to stand in place for 3s?

I would love if they reworked it to make explosive surge like rage spec smash. every 20 seconds you build a buff that makes your explosive surge hit for 6k ... then again i think tactics is in a good place everything else you can sue on the move. Maby it would be worth giving hold the line total cc immunity for the first 4 seconds though, being stunned through it is kind of meh :rolleyes: