The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Biochem the way to go?

Dasem

Lv16 Sith Jugg here.

I took Artifice, and I've been keeping up with it. Crafting, gathering mats, etc. But it seems like a big credit dump for mediocre stuff. I felt the same way on my Vanguard with Cybertech.

So I've been thinking... As an Immortal Jugg, my companion most used would likely be Quinn. But I love Vette's DPS. If I go BioChem, it could help with the lack of healing, with Vette over Quinn enemies would die faster, meaning less downtime and leveling would be faster. Plus BioChem seems to be one of the big payoffs at endgame when compared to other crew skills.

So I was wondering what the general consensus was of the community here.

Also, if I did go BioChem, what's the third skill? BioChem, Bioanalysis, and _______. What would be best to compliment it? Keep in mind I imagine I'd use Vette over Jaesa, I tent to like ranged DPS over melee, but I've yet to get Jaesa so I'm unsure if she's superior. So if I use Vette all the time I wouldn't want to send her off constantly, right?

Lv16 Sith Jugg here.

I took Artifice, and I've been keeping up with it. Crafting, gathering mats, etc. But it seems like a big credit dump for mediocre stuff. I felt the same way on my Vanguard with Cybertech.

So I've been thinking... As an Immortal Jugg, my companion most used would likely be Quinn. But I love Vette's DPS. If I go BioChem, it could help with the lack of healing, with Vette over Quinn enemies would die faster, meaning less downtime and leveling would be faster. Plus BioChem seems to be one of the big payoffs at endgame when compared to other crew skills.

Also, if I did go BioChem, what's the third skill? BioChem, Bioanalysis, and _______. What would be best to compliment it? Keep in mind I imagine I'd use Vette over Jaesa, I tent to like ranged DPS over melee, but I've yet to get Jaesa so I'm unsure if she's superior. So if I use Vette all the time I wouldn't want to send her off constantly, right?

pretty much you want biochem on your main and a alt to have synthweaving to make augment kits and augments

Lv16 Sith Jugg here.

Go Biochem, but not for leveling up purposes. I just finished an alt to 50 last nite with crap gear and never used the healing companion once. Biochem is not needed during leveling.

You want biochem so when you hit 50, you are perma-buffed and do not have to pay 20k every 2 hours for 1-shot buffs. You save millions of credits.

Oh and unless you geared Vette out, Jaesa will be better because her gear comes at like 88 rating where Vette is probably like 54 or something. But I'd just use which ever one you're going to romance.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Anything but BioChem is useless.

Biochem = Free reusable health packs, reusable buff, reusable adrenal which all = More power and Health

Other Skills = Alot of crap that doesn't sell, or alot of crap that costs more to make than you get selling it.

Edited by KEKHAN

I leveled up with artifice. but once i hit 50, i leveled up synthweave to get the rakata bracers ( I had about 80% of the mats needed to do it already), then once i got the bracers and belt I dropped it for Bio.

No matter what you do with crafts prior to that, Bio is really far too effective end game to want anything else for the long term. but leveling something prior to that can be beneficial for various reasons. Cybertech and artifice are great for leveling. but once you hit 50, other then the rakata pieces off synthweave (and perhaps making yourself a few crystals), Bio has the most feasibility.

I like allot of the other crafts, but due to how crafting works in this game, there's not allot of reason to have them on your main since you alts can make everything you need off those other crafts. The only exception is the high end schematics, but atm, the only ones I can think of that really net a benefit post columi gear is the cybertech mod schematics that drop off Ops bosses. But you will use far more stims and medpacks then you will mods.

Not sure if OP is gonna read this thread again but just in case, I forgot to mention this:

Biochem can make re-useable medkits. There are ones at level 8, 16, 24, etc all the way up. You craft the regular medkit for your level, and then reverse engineer to a blue. Then craft the blue and reverse engineer that to get the re-useable purple version.

There is a self-heal medkit, and a self+companion medkit. You can make reuseable ones for each. They are cheap and easy to make and very very useful.

Right now what's setting bio apart are the reusable adrenals. The best stims are useable by anyone and even as a biochem I will use exotech on higher end content when needed. Basically what biochem does is save you A LOT of money if you use adrenals, medpacs and stims. It's not that you can gain any huge advantages in battle by being bio (medpacs are nice) it's just that you have non-consumable options and being able to make your own will save you endless amounts of credits.

In addition to saving, it can make you heaps of credits. Selling extra stims, adrenals, implants or even just excess materials will bring you in some spending money.

In short it's very useful and can save/make you a lot of money. If you're not bio on at least one character you're really doing yourself a disservice.