Let's discuss the latest 1.4 commando changes !

LilCthulhu

Don't know about you but I plan on spending my tokens on Combat Tech gear then. There's nothing that says you HAVE to get the eliminator stuff. And at least it seems like all the armorings are the right kind. Still you're right that it's both really annoying, and total BS compared to the Merc side.

Yeah, other then 4 pieces of eliminator for the armoring set bonus, everything else will most likely be from the combat tech set.

The MH/OH itemization still has me pissed. Not only do they have better stats then the commando versions, they will start with 2 BiS items.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about you but I plan on spending my tokens on Combat Tech gear then. There's nothing that says you HAVE to get the eliminator stuff. And at least it seems like all the armorings are the right kind. Still you're right that it's both really annoying, and total BS compared to the Merc side.

You'll have to get the war hero version of the Combat Tech gear first then (which means you'll first need the battlemaster), as the elite war hero stuff requires an item turn-in as well as the comms.

Edited by Jherad

You'll have to get the war hero version of the Combat Tech gear first then (which means you'll first need the battlemaster), as the elite war hero stuff requires an item turn-in as well as the comms.

Think he's talking about the pve combat-tech set, because it has better itemization in it then the eliminator set.

Am I the only one who's SUPER pissed about the cryo bomb nerf...as a commando who rarely pvps but always pves this is a huge nerf we are a range class so we stay at range if i want to keep them far back i toss a cryo now they are only going to be 10m's back which is still far but i think bw is listening to all the pissing and moaning coming from the pvpers and forgetting about the few remaining pvers...this really upsets me

Yeah, other then 4 pieces of eliminator for the armoring set bonus, everything else will most likely be from the combat tech set.

The MH/OH itemization still has me pissed. Not only do they have better stats then the commando versions, they will start with 2 BiS items.

Yep. I imagine I'll be doing the same thing I did with the campaign weapons: buying a blaster rifle and ripping out the components to go in my Havoc's Fist. I can live with using a 56 aim/34 end/44 crit mod weapon.

Or, y'know, Bioware could act like they know what they're doing. But that's crazy talk.

Am I the only one who's SUPER pissed about the cryo bomb nerf...as a commando who rarely pvps but always pves this is a huge nerf we are a range class so we stay at range if i want to keep them far back i toss a cryo now they are only going to be 10m's back which is still far but i think bw is listening to all the pissing and moaning coming from the pvpers and forgetting about the few remaining pvers...this really upsets me

Commandos should be able to influence the battle effecitively with their CC from 30m in. Knockback, for those that choose it, should remain to push the enemy back from them. Our core is to shape the battle from range and serve as the base of fire/firm base for damage and control.

They seem to give more boost to the medic side of the tree. Whilst this might be good for those whom are a combat medics (having one on the team is a true lifesaver), they still have neglected the Gunnery Tree. The Gunnery tree and the maxing our giant canon is what attracts many to the Commando class and in this iteration its not very powerful.

The loss of the Cyro Grenade's range will be quite painful and as far as I can tell there is not other ability that comes quite close to its utility.

It seems that whomever made these changes doesn't play Commando very much or understand why people (or at least me) were attracted to it. Either that or the entire Bioware team plays as Imps.

What I would like:

- A little boost to AP cell. I really can't see any discernible difference between it and any other cell.

- Reduction of activation time for abilities. In PVP, very rarely do the opponent wait around politely when charging up. Whilst some might say we have incredible DPS (I have yet to encounter this), the fact of the matter is that our cast time is far too long and easily interrupted. Our others "fast" abilities lack the punch.

- Bring ranged Cyro Grenade back!

Good hunting

I actually find this change the must stunning (pun intended).

I've been leveling up on PTS and I can tell you the effect of reducing the range on Cryo Grenade is very disconnected to the class concept. We are stationary firers with activation times. We need to keep targets at optimum engagement ranges which means keeping them out of the 10m circle and, if necessary pushing them out of the 4m circle. To keep an enemy out of the 10m circle we need to be able to use Cryo Grenade before they get in, not after. Add lag to an activation time cycle and melee types in PvE can close to the 4m circle before you get a chance to get a Cryo Grenade to stick. Couple that with removing our knockback from the Gunnery tree and you have a complete disconnect to the base of fire concept. Cryo Grenade no longer meshes with our engagement decision cycle. Don’t mess up the OODA loop.

Whether PvP or PvE our job is to pin and engage the enemy in a way that allows our close assault and melee types to get in and finish the job. In a modern army think of us as a medium machinegun with the fixing or pinning ability coming from the Cryo Grenade. That is very much what commandos should be and the options and abilities should reflect this.

Edited by DashaAdair

I have a sneaking suspicion that whomever originally designed the classes has left BW, and the changes are being made by someone with a less than stellar grasp of our abilities.

The patch notes have split the changes into Trooper (General), Vanguard and Commando. From the start, under the general section:

-----------------

Trooper

General

Hold the Line now has more noticeable visual effects.

Cryo Grenade now has a 10-meter range.

-----------------

The steadfast refusal to help our AC (or even stop nerfing us) in PvP would make a lot more sense if it was because they thought we actually had an ability like Hold the Line.

The steadfast refusal to help our AC (or even stop nerfing us) in PvP would make a lot more sense if it was because they thought we actually had an ability like Hold the Line.

Ohey nice catch.

Not like we really need more confirmation that they don't know what they're doing when we know they're giving us a MELEE RANGE ROOT.

maybe because cryo grenade is suposed to be used as a defense not as attack? hence the reduction.

That's a completely meaningless statement. Perhaps we should decide that concussion charge is supposed to be used as an attack not a defense, and the knockback should be removed whilst the damage is increased. Would that make sense?

Abilities can be changed for whatever 'reason' you like but the end result is either an improvement or a nerf. Nerfing a class widely recognised as the least useful in high end PvP is stupid. Whatever your 'vision' for an ability is.

But we're pretty much just pissing in the wind here. They don't read these class threads any more. I suspect that Bob the janitor gets more input into class development than we do.

But we're pretty much just pissing in the wind here. They don't read these class threads any more. I suspect that Bob the janitor gets more input into class development than we do.

They aren't listening to Bob, no one listens to Bob. Poor Bob.

That's a completely meaningless statement. Perhaps we should decide that concussion charge is supposed to be used as an attack not a defense, and the knockback should be removed whilst the damage is increased. Would that make sense?

Abilities can be changed for whatever 'reason' you like but the end result is either an improvement or a nerf. Nerfing a class widely recognised as the least useful in high end PvP is stupid. Whatever your 'vision' for an ability is.

u do know forums never matter for class balance rightttttttt? never saw a game where they listened to anything on forums lol anywayyyy, the 10 meter range reduction looks logical if you see Cryo grenade as a defense. im just saying.

u do know forums never matter for class balance rightttttttt? never saw a game where they listened to anything on forums lol anywayyyy, the 10 meter range reduction looks logical if you see Cryo grenade as a defense. im just saying.

A defense for a class meant to be more than 10 meters away from their targets? Still doesn't fly. As for using forums to get feed back, I do believe Sony learned their lesson and listened to their users on the forums rather often (I cannot say exactly how much) after they saw their loss from the CU and NGE. You would think after such a blunder the next company to attempt a SW MMO would pay more attention to the players.