Customization & Set Bonuses Question

FoolMetalJacket

I'm a level 50 mercenary and I've been playing since just before patch 1.2, but now that I'm starting to get my Black Hole and Rakata gear, I've noticed that the BH gear doesn't have a set bonus. I wanted to swap out my Columi helmet for something that looks cooler, but I don't want to give up my set bonus (I need it for Ops healing).

However, I've seen some people walking around with Orange moddable armor that, according to their character info, still gives them their set bonus. I think it was Legacy armor (which I can get), but I don't remember, exactly. Is that a glitch or part of the system? I'm not sure what the parameters are for what types of moddable gear retain the set bonus if you swap out the modifications.

It's really expensive to change mods (which if you ask me is ridiculous and stupid), so I need to know how to get a different helmet while retaining my set bonus (assuming its even possible). So I need to know before I waste 100k credits (200k if I end up installing the mods back in their original piece) on something that could possibly be a waste of time and effort.

Thanks.

As far as the set bonuses go, you can still be wearing everything but the helmet and still have the 4 set bonus so realistically, swap out that helmet with anything you want, you wont be loosing the bonus you already have.

As far as the set bonuses go, you can still be wearing everything but the helmet and still have the 4 set bonus so realistically, swap out that helmet with anything you want, you wont be loosing the bonus you already have.

Or you could swap out the chestpiece, keep the set bonuses on the hat/hands/legs/feet, then use "Unify Colors" to the chestpiece.

My Sage healer is wearing the Elegant Social gear chestpiece, Columi everything else and with the Unify Colors the whole thing pretty much looks like the full Elegant Social outfit (I hid the peacock hat slot). I get the full 4-piece set bonus and I have the appearance I like.

Plus I rip BH mods out and put them in my Columi gear.

Just to add to what all the above have already said. You get 2 set bonus from end of game gear, the first comes when you have 2 pieces equipped, the 2nd when you have 4.

There are 5 pieces of gear that can be used to get the set bonus:

Headgear

Chest

Gloves

Leggear (Greaves, Lower Robes etc)

Boots

As long as you have 4 pieces equipped you get the bonuses. So in your case you can have different headgear (personally I rather like the Columi) but as long as you have the other 4 items of the same series you'll still get the set

bonus.

Also you can mix and match between the different tiers. As Tioneese, Columi and Rakata all share the same set bonuses. So you could have Tioneese Gloves, Columi Boots and Headgear and Rakata Chest and still get the bonus. But you must make sure that the gear is of the same type (as opposed to set), what I mean is if you have (for example) the Columi War Leader's Chest, in order to use it to get the set bonus you must make sure all your other gear shells are also War Leader, not Vidicator or something else.