so..does anyone know if Revan Died or not

ubergeekzilla

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revan died when they gave her a sex change, and a new personality/story...

I don't quite understand this statement. I've read elsewhere something like that, more or less and this issue keeps reappearing. Why Revan should be a female instead of male? Is there something I skipped along KOTOR and KOTOR II?

I don't quite understand this statement. I've read elsewhere something like that, more or less and this issue keeps reappearing. Why Revan should be a female instead of male? Is there something I skipped along KOTOR and KOTOR II?

You skipped the fact that in KOTOR you had an equivalent opinion to choose between Revan being a male or a female. And KOTOR2 mechanics let you determine whether Revan was a male or a female. Now for those player who choose Revan to be female they experienced KOTOR from a a different perspective. SWTOR now forced something upon those players and ruined their personal experience of KOTOR.

And I am not one of those who picked a female Revan. Actually I picked the very male face that now coincides with SWTOR Revan. So I have nothing to complain at this point. But I understand how other players may feel about it.

Anyway, Revan should not appear in SWTOR. They just ruined his character. His (her) fate after KOTOR/KOTOR2 should be left a mystery.

Edited by Path-x

You skipped the fact that in KOTOR you had an equivalent opinion to choose between Revan being a male or a female. And KOTOR2 mechanics let you determine whether Revan was a male or a female. Now for those player who choose Revan to be female they experienced KOTOR from a a different perspective. SWTOR now forced something upon those players and ruined their personal experience of KOTOR.

Actualy if you also read the EU revan was a man, the exile was a woman. the woman apparition that you see in maelstrom prison is the exiles ghost. Also revan is dead he goes home to live out his life. The Exile was killed by lord scourge after the exile goes to rescue revan the first time. 300 years later your sent in to save revan from maelstrom prison. Most of this is detailed out in the book revan and in the EU.

Actualy if you also read the EU revan was a man, the exile was a woman. the woman apparition that you see in maelstrom prison is the exiles ghost. Also revan is dead he goes home to live out his life. The Exile was killed by lord scourge after the exile goes to rescue revan the first time. 300 years later your sent in to save revan from maelstrom prison. Most of this is detailed out in the book revan and in the EU.

I have read Revan book. And I have done all Flashpoints in SWTOR concerning Revan. I actually don't know what were you trying to say with this post. Until the release of Revan book in 2011, the gender of Revan was up to individual player. The fact is that many players experienced both KOTOR and KOTOR2 with Revan being female. Revan book and SWTOR ruined that experience for those players. Forcing Revan's gander on people after 8 years was dumb and unfair. Not to mention that the whole Revan character development in SWTOR is stupid and ridiculous.

Edited by Path-x

I have read Revan book. And I have done all Flashpoints in SWTOR concerning Revan. I actually don't know what were you trying to say with this post. Until the release of Revan book in 2011, the gender of Revan was up to individual player. The fact is that many players experienced both KOTOR and KOTOR2 with Revan being female. Revan book and SWTOR ruined that experience for those players. Forcing Revan's gander on people after 8 years was dumb and unfair. Not to mention that the whole Revan character development in SWTOR is stupid and ridiculous.

Nope...

Most of Revan's story, as dictated above, is the plot of the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, in which he is the main protagonist. Though there are numerous possibilities to change on the details of the events above and Revan may end up as a redeemed Jedi or a renewed Sith Lord, the canonical ending features his return to the light side.[3] This follows the usual practice of LucasArts. While Revan's gender is specified by the player, the canonical Revan is confirmed by Leland Chee to be male.[41] Also, The New Essential Chronology[42] and the Chronicles of the Old Republic,[43] published prior to the release of The Sith Lords, both refer to Revan as male, as does Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan, which both establishes Revan's canonical appearance and reveals his fate after departing to the unknown regions.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan#Behind_the_scenes

Revan had been confirmed to be a male long before TOR.

There are a number of people that always operate under the assumption that X has to appear in a work of media (game, movie, etc) to be officially defined or to be canon, but that's not the case.

The people that were disappointed by Revan's gender in TOR could've saved themselves alot of trouble years ago by simply reading the Wookiepedia article.

Once Revan was made a male they decided to make the Exile a female simply for the sake of gender balance. Note that it wasn't Bioware and/or Obsidian who decided their genders it was Lucas. Not Lucas himself but their lore/fiction team.

Thanks all for the answers. I supposed that was the case - the player choosed a female back then and now he's dissapointed. I can imagine what they are feeling, because the same shock I had when I read that Revan, for some people at least, was female. :) Maybe not the same, but close (the same would be the other way around: canon Revan being female).

I always assumed that Revan was male (like someone said before, it looked approximate as the one from TOR), mainly because in my native language Revan is a male name (not that we have a "Revan" name, but here 90% of female names end in "a"). Of course the rule dosen't apply in English, but in subconscious I assumed that.

I'm sorry that they didn't left him out of TOR, as I always wanted a KOTOR 3 to end Revan's tale, not a MMORPG, and not including him (HIM!) in TOR would left a gate opened for another game. In fact, the reason I bought this game at launch was the boasting statement of a producer (?) that TOR is much more than KOTOR 3, and should be regarded as KOTOR 3, 4 and 5 combined instead. Obviously, that was a statement that should be preceded by [Lie]. :)

By the way: I've bought KOTOR 1 from Steam last week and it is a brilliant game even today (I've feared that my grown-up perception would alter the game, and I would change my opinion from my youth, but it's not the case).

Cheers!

I'm sorry that they didn't left him out of TOR, as I always wanted a KOTOR 3 to end Revan's tale, not a MMORPG, and not including him (HIM!) in TOR would left a gate opened for another game. In fact, the reason I bought this game at launch was the boasting statement of a producer (?) that TOR is much more than KOTOR 3, and should be regarded as KOTOR 3, 4 and 5 combined instead. Obviously, that was a statement that should be preceded by [Lie]. :)

Bioware was always more interested in making an MMO than they were KOTOR3. When they got the chance to basically do both, they took it.

The whole KOTOR 3-7 wasn't a lie either, it was a reference to the class quests. Every class was quest was basically a game in itself, it's just that these games just all ended up sharing the same side quests and locations.

Alot of people will tell you that the Jedi Knight's Class Quest is basically KOTOR3 and having played through it, it's pretty obvious that was the intention of it.

Despite the negative reaction to how Revan was handled in TOR you have to keep in mind that Revan's story in KOTOR1, the book Revan, and TOR itself were all written by the same person, Drew Karpyshyn. In other words the guy who made you like Revan and how he/she was handled in the first KOTOR is the same guy responsible for how the character was handled in TOR as well.

Looking at the whole picture I get the sense that Drew Karpyshyn wanted to move past what he'd already done with Revan and onto something else which would explain the ending of the book Revan and why the Jedi Knight in this game is basically the "hero" character.

Bioware was always more interested in making an MMO than they were KOTOR3. When they got the chance to basically do both, they took it.

The whole KOTOR 3-7 wasn't a lie either, it was a reference to the class quests. Every class was quest was basically a game in itself, it's just that these games just all ended up sharing the same side quests and locations.

I saw this from another perspective. They climbed up on top of KOTOR series success, to win a head start in their MMO. This in my opinion is good marketing, but also greed. They just made a forced connection to KOTOR through a few Flashpoints, to attract the mass of fans that waited for a sequel in Revan's tale.

I don't have anything against MMORPGs or TOR (I played from day 1 and I had 6 characters leveled to 50), but to be honest, a MMORPG isn't about storytelling. A long story isn't impling a good story. To compare the story from a single player game as KOTOR to a story from a MMORPG is what I call a wild goose chase. On the first, the story is regarded as one of the core elements of the game, while in a MMO the tale is at least secondary.

This dosen't mean that TOR is a bad game at all, as I like it pretty much and played for so long, but the fans of KOTOR series, which I'm sure this game has them in the targeted audience, at least a part of it, were waiting for KOTOR 3, not a MMORPG. The fact that the story was written by the same man is irrelevant, because it is not an act of free will, but a job for a game, where you must comply with the whole purpose of the game.

Looking at the whole picture I get the sense that Drew Karpyshyn wanted to move past what he'd already done with Revan and onto something else which would explain the ending of the book Revan and why the Jedi Knight in this game is basically the "hero" character.

I totally agree. What I don't understand is why the rush to get past it, like it was something minor. They just could left him out of this game and make a book or maybe another game (which I'm sure was profitable). Also, I'm convinced that KOTOR fans would be in interested in TOR, even without Revan, because it is placed in the same universe.

My impression is that either they were greedy to attract more players, like I said above, either they were unable to produce a equally good story for Revan's ending in all this years. I think is a bit of both. :)

*SPOILER from now on*

An important fact is that in the Flashpoint "The Foundry", in beta testing, you could actually saw the body of defeated Revan afer the final battle. In the final release, they reconsidered and left it in an uncertain balance: when Revan has low HP (NOT zero HP), it is triggered the end script, and he just dissappears in a ball of lighting.

This makes me think that they left this backdoor for a future game, but this dosen't mean that will ever be one. Or maybe they did this only to not upset the fans. Or to leave the possibility for them to make another game if they will consider it profitable enough, who knows? They could anytime build up an unconvincing story of some Naver, which is not Revan, because Revan was killed in the Foundry... "from a certain point of view".

They could do that, but I don't think they will, because the big mistery in Revan's story was brutally shattered in the Knight's storyline. Maybe it is better to leave him dead, because I don't like where this is going.

For us, KOTOR fans, I think it is time to be aware of the sad truth and accept that they blew it up with Revan story arc and it will never be another end or another game, like we had expected for some years. Sad, but true. TOR is a good game, but it isn't KOTOR 3, and it will never be.

By the way, in KOTOR the feeling and looks of a lightsaber are so different from TOR - in TOR the lightsabers are looking and acting like colored sticks. :p

It wasn't the Emperor, in game you received a mail about the Emperor. (Forget if its in the SW or JK line) That the Emperor is still alive.

The Sith Warrior is the only class who gets told that the Emperor isn't dead . It's the Emperor's Hand pretty much telling you, "Don't listen to those rumors! You still have purpose! We promise...!" Even when I read that on my Warrior, it felt like they were trying to cover up the truth so that your purpose doesn't fade away. Can't really wave around the badge of "Emperor's Wrath" if you think you're Wrath to a dead Emperor. Just sayin...

Sure, it's true that the Emperor's original form was pureblood, but he swaps bodies. At the time, I could imagine that his full essence was the old human dude in the black cloak. It's really hard to argue with Hall Hood (one of the big wig writers over there...) if he says the Emperor is indeed dead... Bioware created the lore about the Emperor.. and they can do what they want with him. On a last note, even Lord Scourge says that he can feel the Emperor fading. If anyone is able to confirm the Emperor's death.. it's Scourge. Afterall.. he became linked to the Emperor when he was given immortality.

Edited by DarthGile

https://twitter.com/hallhood/status/322715009400569856 I asked Hall Hood directly via the twitter in an attempt to get some hint about Revan's potential future fate. Here is the response that I received:

@hallhood Kudos to the entire BioWare team for Makeb - simply amazing. I hope we can expect more story content soon (Revan's return perhaps?

@LoreFreak1 Hehe... we'll see! Glad you enjoyed Makeb!

Interpret it as you wish, but he did not say no. :) As I said numerous times: mark my words, we will see more of Revan yet (would have been better to get brand new single player RPG game, but that is so not going to happen).

Ughh, why don't they use original characters relevant to TOR itself to tell stories? Why do they continually kill off interesting characters from the game, but they will not under any circumstances stop beating that masked horse that should have been dead for 300 years now. :rolleyes:

I mean, I get that Revan is Drew Karpyshyn's super special pet, but c'mon, move on all ready.

Edited by jovianus

I mean, I get that Revan is Drew Karpyshyn's super special pet, but c'mon, move on all ready.

Because huge number of people that play this game for the sake of its storyline are actually big kotor fans and feel very attatched to the Revan's character due to many nostaglic reasons that you could not possibly comprehend if you have not played the old kotor games as a kid (I was merely 12-13 years old when the first KotOR came out... still remember how epic it was to be able to play through it for the first time). :p

Edited by Deviss

Because huge number of people that play this game for the sake of its storyline are actually big kotor fans and feel very attatched to the Revan's character due to many nostaglic reasons that you could not possibly comprehend if you have not played the old kotor games as a kid (I was merely 12-13 years old when the first KotOR came out... still remember how epic it was to be able to play through it for the first time). :p

I did play the KotoR games, I liked them. That doesn't mean I require every Star Wars game I ever play again to have Revan in it.

I did play the KotoR games, I liked them. That doesn't mean I require every Star Wars game I ever play again to have Revan in it.

Of course not, but when it's called "The Old Republic" (rings a bell?) and it is advertised as KOTOR 3-7, I would expect Revan to be around there at some point.

Of course not, but when it's called "The Old Republic" (rings a bell?) and it is advertised as KOTOR 3-7, I would expect Revan to be around there at some point.

It's set 300 years later. I would expect Revan to be mentioned, maybe appearing in a holocron or something on Tython, not still running around in the flesh whining about the Sith.

If Bioware set a game 300 years after Episode VI , Revan would probably still be in it. :p

Edited by jovianus

It's set 300 years later. I would expect Revan to be mentioned, maybe appearing in a holocron or something on Tython, not still running around in the flesh whining about the Sith.

If Bioware set a game 300 years after Episode VI , Revan would probably still be in it. :p

That is entirely different thing than "that doesn't mean I require every Star Wars game I ever play again to have Revan in it". :) It is a logical implication that if the name of the game is "The Old Republic", should have some facts about Revan, as his story was left unfinished, not to mention the huge mass of KOTOR fans that were drooling to see the end of his story.

As I stated on another post, I have the impression that they used Revan only to cheat the start in their MMO, not really intrested to make some big thing with him. Something like "There, it is done. Now let's close this subject and never hear from it again".

The people that were disappointed by Revan's gender in TOR could've saved themselves alot of trouble years ago by simply reading the Wookiepedia article.

Don't be stupid... Wookieepedia itself was started in March 2005, that is 2 years after KOTOR.

They released a sourcebook confirming that Revan was male and the Exile was female a few years after those games, which is probably his point.

It is completely irrelevant if they confirmed it years before SWTOR. The information from Lucas Licensing came years after KOTOR1/2. People already experienced KOTOR with female Revan by that point.

He argued that people would save themselves the trouble if they read the article. But since Revan's gender specification came years after KOTOR release, it makes his argument stupid. It is the KOTOR experience that was primarily ruined by specifying Revan's gender, not the SWTOR...

Edited by Path-x