This game could learn from SWG

krystianswtor

i will spin anything to make people like you feel wrong :p or rather people like Van dickus who if i remember correctly already told to leave the thread before :p

Do you even see how posts like these make you look about 10 or 12.. You are so arrogant that you aren't even worth responding to.. You just can't handle the fact that not everyone thinks as you.. Welcome to life and reality.. We are all entitled to our own opinions.. That includes everyone else.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you even see how posts like these make you look about 10 or 12.. You are so arrogant that you aren't even worth responding to.. You just can't handle the fact that not everyone thinks as you.. Welcome to life and reality.. We are all entitled to our own opinions.. That includes everyone else.. :rolleyes:

but in real life face to face i handle things a bit differently than over here in the virtual world :/ now stop spamming and say why swg features in swtor would increase the joy taken out of the game or dont post

Edited by krystianswtor

All have to agree that implementing some sucsessful features from SWG would increase the gameplay.

No they don't have to agree on this. Shocker :eek:

Furthermore many people disagree about what were the "successful" features of SWG. I for one don't like the idea of combat pets. Totally changes the game's balance. This wasn't an issue in SWG, because frankly the game was not built to be a balanced PvE/PvP competitive MMO. It was a sandbox MMO.

Lastly implementing anything from SWG will take resources away from the development of something else, like a GW2 RvRvR system, or a new operation. So people may disagree on whether something from SWG warrants the same priority as cross server queues or server transfers. If some features from SWG are implemented in exchange for some of these other features, the total number of players might decrease rather than increase.

Furthermore many people disagree about what were the "successful" features of SWG. I for one don't like the idea of combat pets. Totally changes the game's balance. This wasn't an issue in SWG, because frankly the game was not built to be a balanced PvE/PvP competitive MMO. It was a sandbox MMO.

Lastly implementing anything from SWG will take resources away from the development of something else, like a GW2 RvRvR system, or a new operation. So people may disagree on whether something from SWG warrants the same priority as cross server queues or server transfers. If some features from SWG are implemented in exchange for some of these other features, the total number of players might decrease rather than increase.

and it just had to be vandick again. alright then ill tell you what for example , multi-crew vehicles. there , 1 feature just for you which for certain would increase the joy / gameplay value. and i dont want to hear anymore from you LOL

TBF there's no evidence they are developing a RvRvR system (or even a RvR system).

All we have evidence for is the Cashshop, a couple of new on-the-rail missions and a flashpoint or two (and then whatever Makeb end up being whenever Makeb end up appearing).

Plus in all honesty with the SSSP having ran for at least 9 months now and they still can't talk about any of it, I can't see RvR appearing in SWTOR till 2014 at the earliest. :(

The problems is more flashpoints aren't going to turn SWTOR around.......... they need to give the game breadth and depth instead.

Edited by Goretzu

and it just had to be vandick again. alright then ill tell you what for example , multi-crew vehicles. there , 1 feature just for you which for certain would increase the joy / gameplay value. and i dont want to hear anymore from you LOL

Tough luck. IDGAS about whether or not you want to hear more from me.

Again, multicrew vehicles would take time and resources to develop. Time and resources which are taken away from developing other features in the game.

I could design the best MMO ever in the history of world just by listing off features. It must have 200 warzones, 50 levels, 500 operations, with 100 opeations for each 10 level segment, 1000 flashpoints, guild capital ships, at least 300 different models, 5000 player starship options, 20 PvP lake worlds, RvRvR, balanced PvP, balanced PvE, EVE space combat, 10,000 hours of class story....

Just because a feature is desired by some members of the community doesn't mean taking the time and resources to develop it is a good idea.

TBF there's no evidence they are developing a RvRvR system (or even a RvR system).

All we have evidence for is the Cashshop, a couple of new on-the-rail missions and a flashpoint or two (and then whatever Makeb end up being whenever Makeb end up appearing).

Plus in all honesty with the SSSP having ran for at least 9 months now and they still can't talk about any of it, I can't see RvR appearing in SWTOR till 2014 at the earliest. :(

The problems is more flashpoints aren't going to turn SWTOR around.......... they need to give the game breadth and depth instead.

I'm not saying that there are plans for anything. I'm just trying to explain the concept of trade offs to this guy. Ultimately making one feature means another one can't be built, and there are infinite theoretical other features that could be implemented.

Development away from something else? I really don't see them developing hardly anything over the last 9 months, and frankly some repeatable content would be better than some one off we had to wait for for almost a year.

Development away from something else? I really don't see them developing hardly anything over the last 9 months, and frankly some repeatable content would be better than some one off we had to wait for for almost a year.

As surprising as this may seem to you, a lot of people like operations. Denova was released in the last 9 months. A lot of people also like warzones. Novare Coast was released in the last 9 months. If either or both of these features had been not developed(in addition to the upcoming operation and warzone) this THEMEPARK game would have sub numbers similar to SWGs. Ranked Warzones are another long asked for feature by the PvP community.

Out of the 12 US servers, only 3 are RP. That means the other 9 are PvP or PvE. Those people in most cases would greatly prefer a new operation or warzone to say, combat capable pets.

Edited by Vandicus

Let me spell this out for you slowly.

Not everyone liked SWG. In fact most people didn't like SWG.

Multicrew vehicles are completely useless to people who like to solely hardcore PvE or hardcore PvP. That's a substantial portion of the population who would want an operation or warzone instead of the feature you're asking for. Then there are also people who like to solo in MMOs. Another group of people who would never use that feature.

Do you know how easy it is to programme a new mount vehicle that can sustain 2-3-4 people? very easy and wouldnt sacrifice any time to invest in bigger projects. thinking u kno anything bout coding.. pfffffffffffff

Edited by krystianswtor

Let me spell this out for you slowly.

Not everyone liked SWG. In fact most people didn't like SWG.

Multicrew vehicles are completely useless to people who like to solely hardcore PvE or hardcore PvP. That's a substantial portion of the population who would want an operation or warzone instead of the feature you're asking for. Then there are also people who like to solo in MMOs. Another group of people who would never use that feature.

Actually its not. Statistically speaking hardcore players of ANY type are outnumbered by casual players from 3 to 1 all the way up to 7 to 1 depending on the game your speaking of.

They tend to represent the minority population. You have a point with the solo folks, and this does not reduce the point you made that not everyone would love multi player vehicles...however, I would point out that I feel it is rather a harmless feature that would allow groups to travel together. This is not a negative thing IMO.

I used to love SWG. I started playing a year before they shut the server's down, but left due to the game feeling so empty. If the game had more players I would not have left.

I loved being able to go questing and if I got bored I would go flying in my Tie Fighter and shoot stuff out of the sky. It was amazing. I wish this game had that feeling where we had FREEDOM to choose. Instead we have a mini-game rail shooter and the usual grinding quests. No real innovation, no real choice.

The player city's were a brilliant idea. Being able to head out into the unknown, come across a player city and look around people's store's to see what they had was amazing. And the fact people had all these wicked items adorning the walls was nice to see. Shows how much effort people had put into playing the game.

I also really loved the crafting and the way to get resources. Setting up a factory to make items, and setting up harvesters all over the place to get resources was so much fun. Building ships, making weapons and armor, making costumes, speeders, seriously their was not much you couldn't make.

It sucks that SWG lost so many players because of the NGE. Had that not happened, it would have been a really popular game. But these things happen. You cannot help feeling though after experiencing these things that you want to experience them again, or have them improved upon and implemented here. If you have not played SWG then you really dont know what you have missed.

Actually its not. Statistically speaking hardcore players of ANY type are outnumbered by casual players from 3 to 1 all the way up to 7 to 1 depending on the game your speaking of.

They tend to represent the minority population. You have a point with the solo folks, and this does not reduce the point you made that not everyone would love multi player vehicles...however, I would point out that I feel it is rather a harmless feature that would allow groups to travel together. This is not a negative thing IMO.

I'm not trying to claim its harmful. I have honestly no idea how many people would care about this or not. I know however that there are substantial groups of people would like it, and substantial populations of people who wouldn't like it. This other poster has claimed some pretty ridiculous things so far. I'm merely amusing myself by posting rebuttals.

I'm not trying to claim its harmful. I have honestly no idea how many people would care about this or not. I know however that there are substantial groups of people would like it, and substantial populations of people who wouldn't like it. This other poster has claimed some pretty ridiculous things so far. I'm merely amusing myself by posting rebuttals.

Who wouldnt like multicrew vehicles? Or who wouldnt allow people who want them to have them? Makes no sense dude

Did you send your code free to them? How do you know people have sent this code free to Bioware?

You're a gaming programmer familiar with the Hero engine and that's how you know how easy this would be to implement right? Why don't you send your code in and then claim that Bioware is simply choosing not to implement your desired features because they're jerks.

hero engine doesnt even require coding knowledge for the most part. its a cakewalk

hero engine doesnt even require coding knowledge for the most part. its a cakewalk

Do it then.

Who wouldnt like multicrew vehicles? Or who wouldnt allow people who want them to have them? Makes no sense dude

I've already mentioned them. Hardcore Pvers or PvPers. Soloers. People who just don't care about vehicles. Lots of people would be indifferent to it. The main group that would want it is RPers. They inhabit 3 out of the 12 total servers. Most of the other people on the other servers probably don't care about it.

Fair enough.

I would also point out that the hero engine does not build vehicles, nor does it provide the framework for them to operate. That all has to be designed, the mesh has to be built, skins mapped, defects and holes repaired, shadowmaps applied, shading applied, lighting applied, then it has to have placeholders to check clipping, all routes have to be tested to avoid clipping, etc.

They do have one model, the current taxi, that could probably be modified to provide a 4 person vehicle without too much trouble but the textures would still have to be redone.

Hero is an cooperative environment builder among other things. It was designed to allow multiple developers to work on areas using plug ins simultaneously, then test that content on the fly.

You still need an external modeling program, like 3D Max, and perhaps something like Combustion for effects.

Edited by LordArtemis

Do it then.

I've already mentioned them. Hardcore Pvers or PvPers. Soloers. People who just don't care about vehicles. Lots of people would be indifferent to it. The main group that would want it is RPers. They inhabit 3 out of the 12 total servers. Most of the other people on the other servers probably don't care about it.

my point is its so easy to make they wouldnt even want my coding if they wanted to implement this. first post is most important anyways so hopefuly they will see this and start thinking.

multicrew vehicles would also be good for people who pull aggro all the time and dont know how to avoid mobs :rolleyes:

I used to love SWG. I started playing a year before they shut the server's down, but left due to the game feeling so empty. If the game had more players I would not have left.

I loved being able to go questing and if I got bored I would go flying in my Tie Fighter and shoot stuff out of the sky. It was amazing. I wish this game had that feeling where we had FREEDOM to choose. Instead we have a mini-game rail shooter and the usual grinding quests. No real innovation, no real choice.

The player city's were a brilliant idea. Being able to head out into the unknown, come across a player city and look around people's store's to see what they had was amazing. And the fact people had all these wicked items adorning the walls was nice to see. Shows how much effort people had put into playing the game.

I also really loved the crafting and the way to get resources. Setting up a factory to make items, and setting up harvesters all over the place to get resources was so much fun. Building ships, making weapons and armor, making costumes, speeders, seriously their was not much you couldn't make.

It sucks that SWG lost so many players because of the NGE. Had that not happened, it would have been a really popular game. But these things happen. You cannot help feeling though after experiencing these things that you want to experience them again, or have them improved upon and implemented here. If you have not played SWG then you really dont know what you have missed.

I honestly think the basis of a truly great Star Wars MMORPG lies somewhere between the two. SWG was great, but had serious flaws (some of them not to do with SoEs shocking mismanagement).

SWTOR is great in a different way, but also has some serious flaws.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that where SWG was strong, SWTOR is weak...... and SWTORs strengths tend to lie in areas where SWG was weak.

Combining the best of the two without the flaws of either would make a great game...... and that's no mad wish either, it could be very possible for a developer with enough vision and development budget. :)

I honestly think the basis of a truly great Star Wars MMORPG lies somewhere between the two. SWG was great, but had serious flaws (some of them not to do with SoEs shocking mismanagement).

SWTOR is great in a different way, but also has some serious flaws.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that where SWG was strong, SWTOR is weak...... and SWTORs strengths tend to lie in areas where SWG was weak.

Combining the best of the two without the flaws of either would make a great game...... and that's no mad wish either, it could be very possible for a developer with enough vision and development budget. :)

I would have to stand with this. What SWToR does well it does extremely well. Same went for SWG. And what both do badly they do abysmally. Surprisingly they are different things, which is why the old game could help provide ideas for the new...but only in things that it did rather well, and only with a Bioware slant of course.

SWG was like playing with Star Wars lego.

SWTOR is like watching the Clone Wars TV series.

Both are entertaining in their own way, but the only thing they have in common is that they are both Star Wars and anyone can do them either solo or with friends.

Edited by Hessen