Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Illiterate Teenagers/Old farts in regards to the Community

Carambole

Some of us play on RP serves, you know, and discernible language is vital to our enjoyment of the game. Unless you're RPing a troglodyte with a recent head injury, e-speak is actually detrimental to the immersion in the game for the people around you.

I'm on a rp server and I don't base my enjoyment of the game on how someone uses e-speak. I have no problems with someone using abbreviations. It does not ruin my immersion. What ruins my immersion is people that want to tell everyone how they should or shouldn't rp.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to tell the lazy against the foreign. It is very much a current teenage generation thing, and it annoys me too because effective communication goes a long way. I would be equally as annoyed if someone I was talking to face to face, decided to save some time and effort by talking really quickly, mispronouncing certain words and missing other words out completely, even if I could get the general idea of what they were talking about.

It also annoys me that when picked up on it, the response is that they don't care.

People who use "lol" as punctuation :mad:

There are some words that are pronounced different in different areas of the country.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I prefer to talk write out everything plainly but there are times when it is much easier to use short memos.

This morning I did the Black Hole 4H with a very nice pug-group. We quickly sorted out how to manage the CC:s.

Me: I'll sneak, CC torch

JK Sentinel: Oki, I'll CC droid with lightning

I type for communication, sometimes it is much easier if it short and to the point. Hmm... I find it a little strange to make a judgement on a persons character on one single line of text. One does not know what is happening on the other persons end at that point. Might be in the middle of something but still want to communicate with you. But to each his or her own, one should play that makes you happy.

Look I'm a writer and I try to write with good grammar ,but when you are fighting the final boss of a FP or planning objectives in a warzone you don't have time to write in perfect sentences.

Example.

Me: Go grass, fight on node

Me: Go to the grass and fight on the node *Gets killed by an operative in stealth*

See the difference here. Every second counts. Also, in general chat you don't want to clog up the space....

Look I'm a writer and I try to write with good grammar ,but when you are fighting the final boss of a FP or planning objectives in a warzone you don't have time to write in perfect sentences.

Example.

Me: Go grass, fight on node

Me: Go to the grass and fight on the node *Gets killed by an operative in stealth*

See the difference here. Every second counts. Also, in general chat you don't want to clog up the space....

Personally, it's not the communication that happens during events, or even quests. It's when people are just chatting in general. You know they're not going anywhere or doing anything else. At least you can surmise it somewhat...

It is starting to get to me. At first I didn't say much. Constant comments in general which were always misspelt. You see I transferred from Frostclaw 2 months ago to Nightmare Lands and my honest to God question is: did I transfer to a teenage community?

Honestly guys, stop slacking and learn to spell. That goes for any age by the way.

If you are going to critique people's spelling -- in very broad strokes -- you may wish to ensure that your own posts do not include any spelling mistakes, are grammatically correct, and avoid slang. It might also help your case if you didn't make a fairly commonplace -- I would say pedestrian -- cognition error; constant comments which were always misspelt.

People come onto these forums to ask quick questions, not write English essays. Critiquing forum posts is akin to critiquing "txt messages" between teenagers; a colossal waste of your time.

By the way, these were correct usages a semi-colons.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Why are people behind a key board so tough? If you were out in public and heard a person say something that wasn't grammatically correct would you feel the need to correct them? Better yet, would you have the courage? ;)

Okay I am going to go against the grain and say that 'u' and that sort of abbreviating bugs me to the point where yes I judge and don't take the person as seriously.

It's text speak and in that context it makes sense because you are very limited in the number of characters you can send in a text. In a chat window on a computer the context isn't the same. You aren't limited in how many characters you can send so it just comes off to me as either being lazy or trying to be cute or cool. There's just no practical reason for that sort of shorthand in a computer chat window.

If that makes me pedantic then oh well I will just have to be pedantic then.:p

Why are people behind a key board so tough? If you were out in public and heard a person say something that wasn't grammatically correct would you feel the need to correct them? Better yet, would you have the courage? ;)

Yes, and yes.

Then again, it's my job. I teach in a communication course, when I'm not being a tech writer. I have had people remove inappropriate apostrophes and advised them on which they're|there|their is the one they want.

But written grammar is a very different beast to spoken grammar. Spoken grammar does not rely on spelling and punctuation to convey meaning, and is subject to things like dialect and accent. Written grammar tends to be more formal and structured for a reason.

If U rite in LOLs and use L337 un-ironically, I'm likely to assume that you are callow and dull and we won't enjoy each other's company. Rightly or wrongly. I'm aware that this makes me a boring old person. I don't care.

Yes, and yes.

Then again, it's my job. I teach in a communication course, when I'm not being a tech writer. I have had people remove inappropriate apostrophes and advised them on which they're|there|their is the one they want.

But written grammar is a very different beast to spoken grammar. Spoken grammar does not rely on spelling and punctuation to convey meaning, and is subject to things like dialect and accent. Written grammar tends to be more formal and structured for a reason.

If U rite in LOLs and use L337 un-ironically, I'm likely to assume that you are callow and dull and we won't enjoy each other's company. Rightly or wrongly. I'm aware that this makes me a boring old person. I don't care.

This lays it out very well. I don't have a problem with shorthand when you're in the middle of a fight or operation (other than to ask why you're even typing in chat in that instance anyway). And I do understand that it's a game, and shouldn't be taken so seriously, which is why, for the most part, I simply just ignore it and don't let it bother me.

I think the problem I have with it (and I'm sure it makes me seem pretentious or arrogant), isn't that it happens, but that it happens so frequently now that it is acceptable. As the quote above points out, in spoken conversation, certain cues are picked up based on the tone and/or inflection of the voice. That is much harder to convey in written communication, which is why using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is important.

And it would be one thing if it only happened on the internet. But it doesn't. It spills over into other areas of our lives as well. I see very poorly written emails all the time. I've seen grammatical mistakes in resumes and cover letters. Am I supposed to overlook those things when I'm hiring someone? No. If they don't care enough to proofread a cover letter and/or resume when they're applying for the job, how can I expect them to care enough to do the job well?

Lastly, it's about pride. Take pride in how you present yourself. Because it's the internet, no one can see you, so the only thing others have on which to make a decision about you is your written communication skill. Particularly when you're making an argument. If may be the most logical argument ever, but if you don't communicate it clearly and effectively, then no one will take it seriously.

Now, I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it, but I at least take pride in what I write and how I write it (which is the primary avenue available to me in which to present myself on an internet forum). If you don't care enough about how you are perceived by your fellow gamers, then why should we care enough to help you out or include you in our conversations/groups/operations?

I use proper English most of the time, but I have moments when I'm feeling tired or a bit lazy and go for the internet shorthand...

So, I guess, if someone types...Duz ne 1 no where 2 go 4 crew skilz? Wud b ignored? :D:D

Edited by Lunafox

I use proper English most of the time, but I have moments when I'm feeling tired or a bit lazy and go for the internet shorthand...

So, I guess, if someone types...Duz ne 1 no where 2 go 4 crew skilz? Wud b ignored? :D:D

By me, most definitely.

Whereas, if someone typed "Does any1 know where 2 go 4 crew skills?" I'd be much more likely to help. And it took me all of 5 extra letters to say that. So, did your version really save you that much more time?

Or you could type "Where do I go 4 crew skills?" Which is actually 5 fewer letters.

So, to use the excuse that the grammatical/spelling/slang mistakes are to shorten things or because someone is lazy doesn't really work.

This lays it out very well. I don't have a problem with shorthand when you're in the middle of a fight or operation (other than to ask why you're even typing in chat in that instance anyway). And I do understand that it's a game, and shouldn't be taken so seriously, which is why, for the most part, I simply just ignore it and don't let it bother me.

I think the problem I have with it (and I'm sure it makes me seem pretentious or arrogant), isn't that it happens, but that it happens so frequently now that it is acceptable. As the quote above points out, in spoken conversation, certain cues are picked up based on the tone and/or inflection of the voice. That is much harder to convey in written communication, which is why using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is important.

And it would be one thing if it only happened on the internet. But it doesn't. It spills over into other areas of our lives as well. I see very poorly written emails all the time. I've seen grammatical mistakes in resumes and cover letters. Am I supposed to overlook those things when I'm hiring someone? No. If they don't care enough to proofread a cover letter and/or resume when they're applying for the job, how can I expect them to care enough to do the job well?

Lastly, it's about pride. Take pride in how you present yourself. Because it's the internet, no one can see you, so the only thing others have on which to make a decision about you is your written communication skill. Particularly when you're making an argument. If may be the most logical argument ever, but if you don't communicate it clearly and effectively, then no one will take it seriously.

Now, I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it, but I at least take pride in what I write and how I write it (which is the primary avenue available to me in which to present myself on an internet forum). If you don't care enough about how you are perceived by your fellow gamers, then why should we care enough to help you out or include you in our conversations/groups/operations?

In a business environment/email, of course the way people write should be scrutinized. In a game what's the point? They are here to have fun.

In a business environment/email, of course the way people write should be scrutinized. In a game what's the point? They are here to have fun.

I don't understand how utilizing basic English skills precludes having fun. Why is presenting yourself as undereducated or stupid fun? I do understand that many if not most people don't have my facility with language, different people's brains work differently, but that's not usually the issue. A significant portion of these people do know better, they do have the skills, and they deliberately choose not to use them, to present themselves as less than they are, as if having a basic education is something to be ashamed of, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

And in a multiplayer game, part of the fun is communicating with other people, forming new friendships and working in a team. So, how you choose to express yourself is a part of your persona in the game, just like the character you play, what you wear, whether you PvP and so on.

No one's going to stop you using text-speak and whatall - as long as you're not saying anything offensive, you've got a perfect right to express yourself as you see fit. But it does have an impact on how you're perceived.

Also, for the people who have a problem with "misspelt," it's the same construction as "dreamt" for the past tense of "to dream." Hope that helps. ;)

As a combat veteran with PTSD and TBI (only to mention the two most relevant maladies) spelling and punctuation at times slip up badly when typing in a situation where I am elswise occupied mentally, you know like a boss fight or possibly raiding your pantie drawer...(look I think I improperly punctuated my massive run-on sentence). Point being you should complain about something else.If you understand the content of the message then do not be a prat and poke your associates degree in english into my dont give a spit about catching a good grade from you. Look, when someone obviously does not understand a basic concept of the english language or is seriously misspelling a word making an *** out of themselves then by all means call them out on it (politely in a /t not in General) and let them know they are misinformed. I had a guy in my guild that was a beast but he really thought that Turret was spelled and pronounced Turrent... that needs fixing. However when someone misuses common words or is not spelling something properly back the hell off it man. Just because you are the first to correct the guy does not give you any type of points and you just look like a tool. You know some people have Dyslexia some people have PTSD some people have attention problems... and some people need to get their Ego in check.

. Look, when someone obviously does not understand a basic concept of the english language or is seriously misspelling a word making an *** out of themselves then by all means call them out on it (politely in a /t not in General) and let them know they are misinformed. I had a guy in my guild that was a beast but he really thought that Turret was spelled and pronounced Turrent... that needs fixing. However when someone misuses common words or is not spelling something properly back the hell off it man.

I see. So it's OK to correct what bugs you, but not what bugs me. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't get that particular memo.

ETA: Truth be told, I likely wouldn't bother to correct someone's online grammar unless I knew them. But constant mistakes and -- worse -- text-speak would make it more likely I'd ignore them altogether, to the point of ignore-listing them, which in our mutual case might well be a good thing. Think of it as a self-selecting mechanism.

Edited by vian

I agree with you. No one here is talking about spelling errors, we're talking about the conscious decision to type like you lack a functioning brain. I don't go off on people who type like that. They just annoy me and they're more likely to step on my nerves than people who type normally. People who type like that just come off as stupid, very rarely does that prove to not be true.

**EDIT**

Also stop talking about raids or when you're in the middle of a battle. Absolutely no one in this thread is talking about situations where you have to type as fast at possible other than you.

Edited by PinkiePiePower

There's a world of difference between someone who makes a typo, on the one hand- entirely excusable, and very petty of anyone else to criticise it, someone using whatever the medium's native language might be-as-a-second, or, indeed, third language- likewise, though with the proviso that it's *their* responsibility to be comprehensible, and not to grow abusive if others lack the time/interest to translate, or, on the third hand, speakers of text-or "street" speak. There, what's offensive is both the barbaric brutalising of a language with no respect whatsoever for its history or nuances... and worse, the crass inverted snobbery that so often goes with it. It's the breed who, when talking, use the F- word as a universal adjective/adverb/interrogative/exclamation, to the extent that it seems to be the only word they know.

The 'dumbing down' of language and education, and the sheer hostility toward education or the idea of actually striving to better oneself that it ought to represent, *is* a serious problem. In times gone by, the intelligent but underprivileged would have done everything they possibly could to *use* their education to lift them out of the "street speak" gutter, understanding that that would be a fairly essential step on the road to getting a decent job, university place, etc. Now, instead, it gets defensively 'celebrated', and people who try to escape from it looked down on by their peer group. So... yes, there *is* a valid reason to flat ignore the deliberately linguistically orc-ish, or to respond with "I'm sorry, I can't understand a word you're saying", and to do it in any milieu- because those who *have* got the potential to be better need to be exposed at every opportunity to the idea that the 'street' peer group is *not* worth a thing, and that it *is* worth losing their street cred in order to do whatever it takes to rise beyond that.

Edited by RowanThursday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.