How to build a perfect Carnage Marauder on a Fresh 50

Megatfx

Thanks for this guide! So my stats w/ fully min/maxed augmented war hero gear and an elite war hero belt, companion buffs and rakata might stim (oh and all datacrons but the +10 one), come out like the below and I'm concerned maybe I have to little Accuracy and Health. I still seem to do alright in WZ's though so no biggie but what's the general consensus on the below numbers:

STR 1737

PRE 405

AIM 84

CUN 84

ENDUR 1595

WILL 137

EXP 1298

Damage 949-1111

/sec 214-321

Bonus 624.8

Accuracy 94.6%

Crit 25.23%

Crit mult 78.80%

Heatlh 18634

Armor 3711

Damage Reduction 32.57%

Defense 5.0%

So what do you guys think?

THX!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, this guide is a little bit outdated.

I don't really play my Marauder anymore. Bubblestun has pretty much forced me to play PT since november. because I don't enjoy being stunned from random bubble pops. I do, and know how to break bubbles from range on my target, but that doesn't stop random other bubble stuns. It's just not enjoyable. I only play my Marauder when needed for rateds. Just giving you a headsup as to why you don't see me post in here often anymore. I'm not a fan of Rage (As good teams don't use it in Rankeds, argue all you want, the top Prophecy of the Five guilds will see you on PTS, none of the top teams run smash as bubblestun completely counters it in rateds and we know both specs are getting nerfed in 1.7, so again pointless to have a debate about Rage.

My Marauder fully min/maxed in just WH gear still rocks 683 bonus damage atm, and I use him in rankeds when they need me but my PT is my main. The guide still gives you a good idea on how to min/max WH. Which you should be do before you start going for EWH.

Edited by Megatfx

Hey Megatfx,

Can you link your updated armory page by chance?? So I can see your gear setup almost full min/max WH but my bonus damage is not as high as yours. Right now I am running a bit more crit about 24% unbuffed which I will drop down with more coms. Still sit at 25% crit buffed?? what are your exact stats now if you do not mind linking them. Also with hopeful upcoming changes to rage/bubblestun, life should be a little nicer for us carnage/combat sents haha

Although our burst is still too easy to shutdown compared to say a Pyro/assault PT/Van.... but maybe they will give us some help besides just being the rated teams run bot.

Edited by calamatiesend

I am trying to perfect my build as well and have found your guide very helpful. After doing the maths I was wondering why you have augmented for strength when the damage increase is smaller than power. I know strength increases crit but only by a very very small amount, and I think the slot is better utilized with a bit more power in there. So far though my PvP game has gone up dramatically by following you guides so thanks.

Step 4 if you can afford it:

Buy 18 strength + 12 Endurance Augments and put them in every slot you have.

Actually, you want Power augments. The Critical Rating you get from the 14 Strength augments is very minimal, and no augment gives you more bonus damage than power.

For every point of Power you have, you gain .23 bonus damage. For every point of Mainstat you have, you gain .20 bonus damage. Mainstat is also subject to the Mark of Power Inquisitor class buff, though. In order to calculate which is best, you use the following formula:

========================================================================================

Power:

252 * .23

252 is the amount of Power given by 14 Advanced Overkill Augment 22s, and .23 is the amount of bonus damage gained by each point of Power.

Mainstat:

252 * .20 * 1.05 * MainstatBonus

252 is the amount of Mainstat given by 14 Advanced Might/Resolve/Skill/Reflex Augment 22s, .20 is the amount of bonus damage given by each point of Mainstat, 1.05 (5%) is the multiplier to Mainstat given by the Mark of Power Inquisitor class buff, and MainstatBonus is the bonus given to your Mainstat from your spec. Marauders currently have no spec that gives Mainstat bonus, but some classes do (Juggernaut, for example, has the ability to increase his Mainstat by 6% (1.06)).

Thus, for 252 Power, you will get 57.96 bonus damage.

For marauders, using 252 Mainstat instead of 252 Power will give you 52.92 bonus damage.

As you can see, Power augments are more beneficial to Marauders than Mainstat augments.

Also, to prove my point regarding Power augments always giving more bonus damage, I will compare Snipers (because they have the highest possible Mainstat increase, 9%) using Power augments to using Cunning augments.

Snipers, when using 14 Advanced Overkill Augment 22s (Power augments), get the standard 57.96 bonus damage.

However, when they use 14 Advanced Skill Augment 22s (Cunning augments), they get 57.6828 bonus damage (252 * .20 * 1.05 * 1.09

========================================================================================

So in conclusion, Carnage Marauders (or indeed any marauder spec) should be using Advanced Overkill Augment 22s (Power augments), not Advanced Might Augment 22s (Strength augments).

Edited by idnewton

This has been beat to death in earlier pages. I believe the argument was that this min/max build strips a ton of crit from your setup and you gain some of that back going with strength.

None of this matters really right now. It's incredibly difficult to play in competitive matches against 4+ stun bubblers right now. You can still be in a pre-made with this spec and melt a lot of other classes in regular matches, but I'm just getting slaughtered in ranked matches right now when we go up against these groups with a ton of stunners. I can't even get through a rotation. And if they catch you right after Precision Slash before you can get Blade Storm off then the spec is pretty much worthless.

Edited by Dawginole

To the guy above me who wrote out the intricate MATH formulas above and impress people with your crazy numbers and .23 this and .20 that and the "minimal" amount of crit. If you're going to post the exact power gains then post the crit gains as well. I'd just about say that 1.2% more crit is probably a bit more beneficial than 5 bonus damage.

Let me give you exact numbers on the difference between Power and Strength Augments.

If you go full power you will have EXACTLY 5 more bonus damage than someone with strength augments.

If you go full strength you will have 1.2% more crit. but 5 less bonus damage.

What's more important, 1.2% crit, or 5 bonus damage?

I know this because I have both sets of Augments and have tested this out already.

If you're going for a balanced build on your Marauder then strength is the wa y to go. Myself and most marauders have stopped going the balanced build and now we are all going full power with 98% accuracy so in my case I went full power augments. Doesn't mean what I did is right, it just makes me happy to see nearly 700 melee bonus damage on my character tab and I haven't even started adding EWH gear on him yet. (I play my PT pretty much 24/7 now)

Edited by Megatfx

The guide has been updated.

Enjoy

Thanks for the update Mega, but as of 2.0 we are all going to be screwed. If you guys get your Elite set min/maxed, then you should go ahead and start working toward a 4 piece set of Elite War Hero Weaponmaster.

You'll need to just keep the shells for trade in on the new gear that will come out with 2.0.

According to the patch notes, the set bonuses are being altered on PvP Weaponmaster gear. The 2 piece set bonus is essentially the same, a reduction in the CD on Guarded by the Force, but it will now also give a 1sec added duration to the ability.

The big change though is that instead of a reduced distance for Dispatch, the 4 piece set bonus is being altered to what we all are going after with these Vindicator sets, the 10% bonus damage after Force Leap.

So at 2.0 you will want to move from Vindicator back to Weaponmaster so that you now have two useful set bonuses instead of just the Force Leap damage buff.

Since we will be wanting the armorings with this new bonuses out of the new gear, then you can go ahead and RE everything in the Elite Weaponmaster pieces, and just keep the shells in storage for trade in when 2.0 launches, and stay in your Elite Vindicator until that time.

Thanks for the update Mega, but as of 2.0 we are all going to be screwed. If you guys get your Elite set min/maxed, then you should go ahead and start working toward a 4 piece set of Elite War Hero Weaponmaster.

You'll need to just keep the shells for trade in on the new gear that will come out with 2.0.

According to the patch notes, the set bonuses are being altered on PvP Weaponmaster gear. The 2 piece set bonus is essentially the same, a reduction in the CD on Guarded by the Force, but it will now also give a 1sec added duration to the ability.

The big change though is that instead of a reduced distance for Dispatch, the 4 piece set bonus is being altered to what we all are going after with these Vindicator sets, the 10% bonus damage after Force Leap.

So at 2.0 you will want to move from Vindicator back to Weaponmaster so that you now have two useful set bonuses instead of just the Force Leap damage buff.

Since we will be wanting the armorings with this new bonuses out of the new gear, then you can go ahead and RE everything in the Elite Weaponmaster pieces, and just keep the shells in storage for trade in when 2.0 launches, and stay in your Elite Vindicator until that time.

No dude, the vendors for the current WH and EWH gear are gone in 2.0. You don't need to keep your shells or start farming Weaponmaster gear now because they won't be required to buy the first tier of PvP gear in the expansion.

It's an increased level cap, gear is being reset. You will hit 55, start doing warzones to grind out the equivalent of "War Hero" currently on live, and then start working on getting the equivalent of "EWH". When you hit level 55 of course you will need to start going for the Weaponmaster Equivalent. This guide is for current live game, I suspect the game will be like this for at least a month.

Yes, the set bonus' are being altered, WEAPONMASTER WILL BE BETTER and I encourage everyone to buy WEAPONMASTER over Vindicator come 2.0. But you do not need to farm it now. Right now you should be getting RWZ and Regular Warzone commendation capped so you can buy a lot of gear right as soon as you hit 55.

I REPEAT, YOU WILL NOT NEED TO TRADE IN ELITE WAR HERO SHELLS FOR THE FIRST TIER OF PVP GEAR IN PATCH 2.0. EVERYTHING WILL BE DONE FROM SCRATCH.

Edited by Megatfx

] Right now you should be getting RWZ and Regular Warzone commendation capped so you can buy a lot of gear right as soon as you hit 55.

I REPEAT, YOU WILL NOT NEED TO TRADE IN ELITE WAR HERO SHELLS FOR THE FIRST TIER OF PVP GEAR IN PATCH 2.0. EVERYTHING WILL BE DONE FROM SCRATCH.

Do you plan on leveling through PVE? I personally hate most all PVE content, I know capping comms will be useful, but wont you be wasint some comms during the leveling process unless you go straight PvE, or do you just plan on buying med packs and crap to burn comms in the mean time? I wish they would let us just buy the 55 gear. Just to stare at it in your inventory till u get there, but i guess i can see the problems with that since many people already have multiple characters with capped comms, they could buy min/maxed ranked gear sooner with legacy and have one character outgear everyone for a long time. But still i know leveling alts just starign at the gear in my inventory makes me want to level faster

No dude, the vendors for the current WH and EWH gear are gone in 2.0. You don't need to keep your shells or start farming Weaponmaster gear now because they won't be required to buy the first tier of PvP gear in the expansion.

Wrong. Shells can be traded in for the new commendations in 2.0.

In regards to this thread though, yes, Carnage is buffed in 2.0 but not on the scale that Annihilation is.

Wrong. Shells can be traded in for the new commendations in 2.0.

First you said you needed to turn in your Weaponmaster shells to get the new weaponmaster, now you're saying this. I'm going to give you several reasons why you're wrong, and hope everyone who read your replies come back and read mine.

You can't trade ANYTHING for commendations in 2.0. Show me where I can do that? You can't because you aren't on the PTS.

I know that because you'd know that there are no "New" commendations. It is regular Warzone Commendations and Ranked Warzone Commendations.

You should also take a look at the patch notes before you start blurting out stuff you've overheard incorrectly from your guildies. You're massively misinforming anyone reading your posts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600569

Show me and everyone else in this forum where we can do what you have mentioned, or that there are new commendations. New commendations do not exist, they are exactly the same as on live. Warzones on PTS give the SAME commendations as on live.

If I was anyone reading this post, bank 4500 RWZ comms, and 2750 regular warzone commendations and not be concerned if you bought Vindicator's on live, you DO NOT NEED TO BUY WEAPONMASTER NOW.

The expansion is a gear RESTART.

you said you needed to turn in your Weaponmaster shells to get the new weaponmaster

I never said this. Quote it, please.

You can't because you aren't on the PTS.

Just who do you think you are to tell me whether or not I'm on the PTS?! I have eight 55s on the PTS.

New commendations do not exist, they are exactly the same as on live.

You're right. Basic commendations do not exist, nor do classic commendations, planetary commendations, elite commendations or ultimate commendations. Smooth fail, bro.

You can't trade ANYTHING for commendations in 2.0

There is a vendor next to the elevator on the Mission Deck of Ziost Shadow Shuttle called Sergeant Drev who not only gives classic commendations in exchange for gear, but also warzone commendations. But according to you, I haven't been on the PTS, so i wouldn't know that.

You're massively misinforming anyone reading your posts.

You're accusing me of misinformation? My posts contradict yours, and have not been disproven. Until they are, that makes you the one who is spreading misinformation. The single fault I made was my forgetting that shells themselves cannot be traded in for commendations, only unassembled gear can. Forgive me for having a human memory.

You should also take a look at the patch notes before you start blurting out stuff you've overheard incorrectly from your guildies.

I read the patch notes completely, and I'd hardly use the word 'blurting' to describe my logical disintegration of everything you thought you knew about this.

You do realize I don't hold anything against people who admit their fault, nor do most other people. It shows both maturity and a desire to improve. You might learn something, you know.

Edited by idnewton

Consider yourself shown.

The commendations I was talking about are the ONLY ones that matter. Who gives a **** about PvE commendations when this is a thread referring to PvP.

"Wrong. Shells can be traded in for the new commendations in 2.0."

Edited by Megatfx

Hmm... the OP of a thread in the Marauder forums without a PvP designation in its title is slamming me for not talking solely about PvP, and does not care about anything PvE related. This thread specifies Advanced Class and spec, but not PvP. Have it moved to the PvP forums, where it belongs.

"Wrong. Shells can be traded in for the new commendations in 2.0."

And I quote:

The single fault I made was my forgetting that shells themselves cannot be traded in for commendations, only unassembled gear can.

I tried, bro, I really did. Did it ever occur to you how much I must have cared to have posted all that information about augments? You can't disprove it. But you won't accept it. Hey, if maturity isn't your thing, that's fine, but theres no reason to flame on me for trying to help you. Believe me, helping you is not a mistake I will repeat.

Edited by idnewton

Hi Megatfx, first thank you for the good guide, I need an advice: i'm following your itemization and currently at MIN/MAXing War hero stage, have capped the RWZ comms before reaching lvl 50 but since it's not clear for me what will happen to these kind comms after 2.0 ( saw on pts they are disappeared), should i start to buy EWH bits and save it for later?

Or with 2.0 i will be able to skip this step since i'll get new gear?

Thank you in advance

Hmm... the OP of a thread in the Marauder forums without a PvP designation in its title is slamming me for not talking solely about PvP, and does not care about anything PvE related. This thread specifies Advanced Class and spec, but not PvP. Have it moved to the PvP forums, where it belongs.

You mean the actual opening post that clearly was talking about gearing only PvP wise wasn't enough of a clue, and the fact that it's only PvP related means it doesn't belong on the subclass forum that the OP is -only- talking about how to gear this subclass?

Just admit you're wrong and move on, guy.

You mean the actual opening post that clearly was talking about gearing only PvP wise wasn't enough of a clue, and the fact that it's only PvP related means it doesn't belong on the subclass forum that the OP is -only- talking about how to gear this subclass?

Just admit you're wrong and move on, guy.

I don't reread the original post of a thread every time I post in it. The fact is that this thread does have class and spec listed in it's title, but not a PvP designation. Thus it should be moved to the PvP forums. No 'if's, 'and's or 'but's. End o' story.

Edited by idnewton

I don't reread the original post of a thread every time I post in it. The fact is that this thread does have class and spec listed in it's title, but a PvP designation. Thus it should be moved to the PvP forums. No 'if's, 'and's or 'but's. End o' story.

*Sigh*

Let's get back on track here. I've just hit lv 50 on my marauder a few days ago and I'm not really sure what to do now. I'm trying to decide whether I should use my comms and get lv 50 WH gear now, or wait till 2.0 comes and get the 55 WH equivalent then. The problem is, I would have to stick to recruit gear which would be bad. I've also read that the weaponmaster set effects are changing in 2.0, so if I were to get lv 50 WH gear, should I go for Weaponmaster or stick to what this thread suggested? Any input would help. TY Edited by mrcoolxxx
typo