When will we be able to remove and add security key the easy way?

BrunoLogan

I guess the thread title says it all. Adding a security key is easy at the beginning but if you have to remove, after all this time, you still have to call the support oh phone to have it removed.

I also read somewhere that once you remove it, you can't add a new one unless is the physical one. Adding one that is via phone app won't work.

You guys should improve on this situation. Any plans for that?

(let's hope someone from the community team answers to this)

I guess the thread title says it all. Adding a security key is easy at the beginning but if you have to remove, after all this time, you still have to call the support oh phone to have it removed.

I also read somewhere that once you remove it, you can't add a new one unless is the physical one. Adding one that is via phone app won't work.

You guys should improve on this situation. Any plans for that?

(let's hope someone from the community team answers to this)

Of course it's hard to remove. If it were easy to remove, a hacker could easily remove it and steal your account.

Why would you want to remove a security key in the first place......?

*Stares questionably*

Because, as an example, if you must put your phone to repair or if you change phones, you might need to add a new one. If they could implement a system of adding/removing like Blizzard does, would be nice.

Edited by BrunoLogan

Of course it's hard to remove. If it were easy to remove, a hacker could easily remove it and steal your account.

But surely if you're through the layer of security that the security key adds you SHOULD be able to remove it.

Because if they can penetrate the security key layer of security then..... well they CAN DO IT! :)

Why would you want to remove a security key in the first place......?

*Stares questionably*

Changing your phone or for a physical security key, losing it or it dying on you (which admittedly won't help much if you need to get through the security key layer to remove it :p).

But surely if you're through the layer of security that the security key adds you SHOULD be able to remove it.

Because if they can penetrate the security key layer of security then..... well they CAN DO IT! :

Not really. They could've gotten one good number for your key, or the system could've temporarily failed, and so now they have access to your account this ONE time. Then they remove it, and then they can access it at any time.

Not really. They could've gotten one good number for your key, or the system could've temporarily failed, and so now they have access to your account this ONE time. Then they remove it, and then they can access it at any time.

That's pretty much impossible, they'd have to have broken the key to do that, which means they be able to by-pass the key whenever they wanted too anyway.

Calling customer support is not the most secure way to remove a security key. They ask for basic account information and your security questions...All of which can be stolen or hacked.

Every other MMO I've attached a security key to, had an automated system in your account, which not only required those credentials, but also required you to input at least 2 sequential codes from your current security key, which is considerably more difficult to hack.

not only is that process faster, more convenient, and cheaper to service...but it's more secure.

Not if the system asks for email confirmation before allowing any critical modification to the account. So even in the unlikely case that someone has a one time access to your account, only the real owner would only be able to effectively confirm the modification by using the link in the confirmation email he would then receive.

Also the system could also ask for a new generated Security Key number right when you attempt to disable the Security Key (after you've logged into your account), to mitigate invisible account manipulation from a player's infected PC.

Using the On-Call support should be only required if you lost mean to authenticate yourself using the web interface, or lost access to your email account, or for a complex issue hardly resolved by an automatic form or email support, or if you personally prefer to use the phone line.

So requesting to disable the Security Key could well be done online as long as your security key is still working.

Personally If I notice my Security Key is starting to behave strangely, or if I want to stop using it for whatever reason, I prefer to be able to disable it quickly by myself using the web interface rather than wasting my time going thru the hoops of the On-Call support.

Edited by Elysith

I totaly agree with the start of this thread. I first put the security key auth on my iPOD touch....then two months later I got my first Smart Phone.....I keep my smart phone with me always, but the iPOD is sitting on my desk at home. Now I just purchased a gaming laptop and need to travel for work, I dont want to keep the iPOD with me when I travel and would love to just change my security key auth to my smart phone....but apparently I cant. Not a very well thought out system or convenient for me, and im guessing hundreds of other people.

As we can see, there are several reasons for us to want/need to add or remove the security key. The intent of this thread is trying to show the dev team that a easier solution for us to manage our security key is needed. We should only have to contact the support via phone in extreme situations. I'm in a country with no local contact number and international calls are expensive. Imagine if I'm put on hold! I don't want to pay for a phone call more than what I pay monthly to play this game.

I wish it was easier to remove too.

I bought the CE and excitedly added the physical key to my account, despite the fact that my account has never been hacked in any MMO I've played so far.

Now, having to keep the physical key around and worry about losing it to mitigate what I feel is a very small risk is annoying.

I have quite severe telephobia, meaning that I have anxiety attacks if I try and speak to people on the phone, so haven't rang customer services to remove it.

Not if the system asks for email confirmation before allowing any critical modification to the account. So even in the unlikely case that someone has a one time access to your account, only the real owner would only be able to effectively confirm the modification by using the link in the confirmation email he would then receive.

Most hacking is done via keylogger, so at the point they are getting into your account, they have your e-mail address and password for it, too.

At that point, one fault at one point in the security key and it's removed and they can skim from your account for a long, long time.

I wish it was easier to remove too.

I bought the CE and excitedly added the physical key to my account, despite the fact that my account has never been hacked in any MMO I've played so far.

Now, having to keep the physical key around and worry about losing it to mitigate what I feel is a very small risk is annoying.

Yeah, but you get access to cool things like the Emergency Fleet Pass at the security key vendor.

I am traveling with my laptop and staying at a hotel that I have to pay for internet service. In order for me to use the key on my iPOD I would have to pay two internet connection fees just to log in to SWTOR. So instead I will have to remove the key forever from my iPOD because they don't have the option to temporarily disable it for special circumstances. And I can't reactivate it on my iPOD. :rak_02: It is such a hassle anyway because I can't log into even the forums to comment unless I have my key which is stupid becuase they can always contact me if they don't like what I say and ask if I really did say it. Sheesh. It's so secure you can't use it lmao :eek:

:wea_03: Rellikidej(i) (ii) (o)

Sith Juggernaut Level 50 x 3

Edited by kansaswizard

Phone support takes like 2 mins.

I just did this yesterday to switch from the app to the fob.

Same here changed phones, I was on hold less than a minute, took me less than 5 minites over all to get it done, yes I wouldl like a away to do it with out calling in, but I did not find the call all that much of a problem, at least for me. I was then able to go back and add it to my new phone just like I did the first time.

Edited by kevlarto