A full absorb tank. I need help. I wasted my last 6 months :(

NoaFlux

you're not doing anything wrong. tanks are dead for pvp. some classes will kill you in matter of seconds (full wh augmented tank here so, trust me i know what i'm saying). so no, there is no point in being proper tank - you can't last on your own for too long then some other dps classes that you can say "It was worth it".

in 1 on 1 you will stay alive. as any dps class will and they will have chance to kill enemy, you wont :D

on 1 vs 2 or more, you will die, same as any dps. slower? maybe, if opponents are bad geared/skilled/or just any class that isn't good against you as tank. if one of them is sent/pt or rep versions you will die fast, even if other attacker is untrained monkey :D

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the darned irony that your defensive stats -- defense rating, shield rating and higher armor rating -- actually don't do anything in the fight against game's hardest hitters.

Assault/Pyro Vng/PTs, Watchman/Annihilation or Combat/Carnage Sent/Maras... Some of the game's hardest hitting clases... and what, their highest damaging attacks are Force/Tech based and cannot be shielded or defended against, the elemental/internal portion of the damage which they make use of just ignores damage resistance given through armor... as well as one of them having a 100% armor ignoring buff.

What have you got, when you are a tank, but you cannot defend, you cannot shield, you cannot mitigate incoming damage? You're basically nothing but a 21k worth of meat shield. Nothing more.

I think the OP is just coming to the same conclusion many others have, playing a tank class with tank gear is ineffective. Protection is a neat way of getting more medals, but it does not win war zones, putting players out of action does.

Aside from increased hit points you can only defend/shield/absorb against white damage, which means rail shot/high impact bolt and some sniper/gunslinger attacks. Against force users you are toast (better off just getting separation if you want to live).

My Vanguard plays with dps gear and tank spec at the moment because I have been playing more PvE, but I will probably switch back to a dps spec soon. I would say go buy a full set of BM dps gear and keep your tank spec and see if you like it, then try a dps spec and see if you like that better. Eventually you will find one you can stick with.

I dare suggest all tanking skill trees, need to be given a skill very high up the skill tree tier that allows higher protection against elemental/internal damage, as well as enables the defense/shield rating to be used against force/tech attacks.

Something like a max 3 point investment, that grants you 5/10/15% more inherent mitigation against elemental/internal damage, and allows you to use your current shield/defense stat to defend against force/tech attacks at 25/50/75% efficiency.

For example, if you have 30% defense / 30% shield chance against 'white damage', 1 skill point into this will allow a 7.5% chance to defend/shield a Force/Tech attack, 2 kill points invested a 15% chance, 3 skill points a 22.5%.

This actually encourages tanking crowd to use tanking gear, since the higher your defense/shield rating gets, the higher your probability of defending/shielding Force/Tech attacks also get.

Been asking for this a long time. It's not like we want "We just walk through the valley of shadow of enemy focus fire" like other tanks in other MMOGs -- we just want our shield/defense stats to mean something.

Tank pvp does need some serious work.

Force/tech needs to be either added to inherent defense-able abilities or as talents added extremely high up in the tanking tree.

Heck, the guardian tanking tree needs a massive rework. The vast majority of the talents in the upper part of the tree are immensely lackluster. (and even beaten by talents in the vigilance tree.)

you're not doing anything wrong. tanks are dead for pvp. some classes will kill you in matter of seconds (full wh augmented tank here so, trust me i know what i'm saying). so no, there is no point in being proper tank - you can't last on your own for too long then some other dps classes that you can say "It was worth it".

in 1 on 1 you will stay alive. as any dps class will and they will have chance to kill enemy, you wont :D

on 1 vs 2 or more, you will die, same as any dps. slower? maybe, if opponents are bad geared/skilled/or just any class that isn't good against you as tank. if one of them is sent/pt or rep versions you will die fast, even if other attacker is untrained monkey :D

the thing is I can't even stay alive 1 on 1. it's usually a close call. and im almost full war hero, I use all my buffs, and my strongest attacks.

I do great in WZ's. I do get #1 in medals once or twice a day ( I play about 6 a day). And I do the job of a tank in sticking around and taking turrets...and being an asset in that way. Although a lot of this has to do with the shadow part, not the tank part.

My point is that...other jedi shadows seem to do the same....or at least bring MORE damage, and MORE protection all at once...simply because they have gear W POWER etc. or are dps. The Absorb gear should have more protection...but it doesn't....and those people who told me it helps a little, should have never said that no offense.

My character is fun to play, and I like to play them a lot. I'm just saying it's not fair when someone with the exact same class etc. has the same lv gear (WH) but not only do they get triple the damage, but they also get the same amount of protection.

and yes i know how to get my protection rating up...i have received 170,000 (not full auged and still need 3 pieces of WH).

REG TANKS are fine, they are unstoppable. SURVIVOR gear tanks are not.

Edited by NoaFlux

Force/tech needs to be either added to inherent defense-able abilities or as talents added extremely high up in the tanking tree.

Heck, the guardian tanking tree needs a massive rework. The vast majority of the talents in the upper part of the tree are immensely lackluster. (and even beaten by talents in the vigilance tree.)

This I disagree with. The tank tree is amazing. Besides commando it's the only class in SWTOR that has some cool abilities....force pull, force in balance, slow time...etc are all really fun and unique.

Maybe you are speaking of the stats?

I dare suggest all tanking skill trees, need to be given a skill very high up the skill tree tier that allows higher protection against elemental/internal damage, as well as enables the defense/shield rating to be used against force/tech attacks.

Something like a max 3 point investment, that grants you 5/10/15% more inherent mitigation against elemental/internal damage, and allows you to use your current shield/defense stat to defend against force/tech attacks at 25/50/75% efficiency.

For example, if you have 30% defense / 30% shield chance against 'white damage', 1 skill point into this will allow a 7.5% chance to defend/shield a Force/Tech attack, 2 kill points invested a 15% chance, 3 skill points a 22.5%.

This actually encourages tanking crowd to use tanking gear, since the higher your defense/shield rating gets, the higher your probability of defending/shielding Force/Tech attacks also get.

Been asking for this a long time. It's not like we want "We just walk through the valley of shadow of enemy focus fire" like other tanks in other MMOGs -- we just want our shield/defense stats to mean something.

Unfortunately this wouldn't help out REAL TANKS, since the gear would not be affected by this. The tanks that have power or dps gear could also use these benefits you speak of (skill tree). That's the problem. Tanks with power rating or DPS gear get 500,000 and 200,000 protection (at least power rated). REAL TANKS...with absorb are the ones who need help, they don't get close this..cause absorb rating does barely anything. We need our gear reworked. We need some shield included and more absorb.

This I disagree with. The tank tree is amazing. Besides commando it's the only class in SWTOR that has some cool abilities....force pull, force in balance, slow time...etc are all really fun and unique.

Maybe you are speaking of the stats?

He talks about Jedi Guardian, and you about Jedi Shadow. Not the same abilities.

For example, if you have 30% defense / 30% shield chance against 'white damage', 1 skill point into this will allow a 7.5% chance to defend/shield a Force/Tech attack, 2 skill points invested a 15% chance, 3 skill points a 22.5%.

[...]

Unfortunately this wouldn't help out REAL TANKS, since the gear would not be affected by this. The tanks that have power or dps gear could also use these benefits you speak of (skill tree).

[...]

I highlighted the parts that you seem have missed.

Were you in a hurry when answering ?

Edited by Altheran

Ok so here's my problem.

I 've been playing a full tank, buying all War Hero Survivor Gear (absorption rated) for the past 3 months. I have 75% War Hero.

I regret it and am very angry at BW.

Even though with a healer, or great guarding skills I can get 125,000 damage, and 100,000 protection on average (though it's usually a little less). I feel like it's not worth it. I play with other DPS guardians (who where Mysitcs gear...Power) and get 300,000 damage and 200,000 protection...even if they only get 100,000 that is great I struggle to get 100,000 often.

Yes I have read ALL the blogs about how absorption is a waste, but I had FAITH in this company that it would make SOME difference...and heard it did make SOME difference. I believe when this is looked into that it's a 100% waste.

My conclusion sadly is it makes no difference at all, and that it actually makes your player (toon) much worst since you have to do so much extra work just to get your damage up...

Should I ask for all my credits back for every single piece of gear? Should I just give up?

I'm not about to start grinding all over again!! This is BW's fault. They should either remove this gear from the game

or make it stronger. For me, a customer who had a little faith in the game mechanics, I feel cheated.

So again should I get my money back? I probably will just quit the game all together if I can't. Such a waste of time...

Please advise, thnks!

AND YES I TUANT 24/7 and guard healers etc!!!

**to the OP**

First of all, LOL. Secondly, LOL again. Before complaining, there are few things you should learn about your own class..your DPS Scores and protection are...well...really bad (sorry, no offense just the truth)... you can ask a payback if you want because you feel betrayed by BW but the fact is that you don't play that class like the devs want it to be played...

i'm a BH Tank (80% WH- full absorb - around 16% defense only) and i really think you forget something...Tanks (and healers) are nothing without total and absolute teamplay.

I won't let you say that BH Tanks are crap when compared to other tanks because it's wrong and the Guardian scores you mention (300k DPS/200K protec)...well, i do the same with my BH Tank (see the screens below) so i have to say that YOU have a gameplay problem, the stuff is correct even if, i must agree, not perfect...at all.

Playing most of times solo in warzones ? Play something else, Tank is not made for you.

Tanks can keep healers alive, can guard turrets like noone else, can prevent a bunch of ennemies to tag a turret, can avoid melee class like noone else if you keep the possibility to do a 30m-charge at any time, etc.

Find a team who knows his job and play as a team. Your healers have to know that a tank who don't die can make the difference and keep them alive (not only with a shield on them). Before all, learn to know your own job and see the screenshots below to see what you'll be able to do...probably not the best scores you'll ever see as a BH tank but far far away from what your 125k DPS/100K protection scores are with the same stuff (full absorb)...

Yes, you can guard and have decent DPS as a BH Tank ! Keep your healer alive and see how much he'll thank you for that :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/565518Screenshot20120625153157173595.jpg

Your healers seem safe ? don't focus on guarding and help on DPS. Yes.. you can do decent DPS as a BH tank full absorb..if your team play as a team, you'll dps for a longer time than others even if your average dps or burst are low (like mine are) :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/832326Screenshot20120621173756097772.jpg

Edited by Barabass

**to the OP**

First of all, LOL. Secondly, LOL again. Before complaining, there are few things you should learn about your own class..your DPS Scores and protection are...well...really bad (sorry, no offense just the truth)... you can ask a payback if you want because you feel betrayed by BW but the fact is that you don't play that class like the devs want it to be played...

i'm a BH Tank (80% WH- full absorb - around 16% defense only) and i really think you forget something...Tanks (and healers) are nothing without total and absolute teamplay.

I won't let you say that BH Tanks are crap when compared to other tanks because it's wrong and the Guardian scores you mention (300k DPS/200K protec)...well, i do the same with my BH Tank (see the screens below) so i have to say that YOU have a gameplay problem, the stuff is correct even if, i must agree, not perfect...at all.

Playing most of times solo in warzones ? Play something else, Tank is not made for you.

Tanks can keep healers alive, can guard turrets like noone else, can prevent a bunch of ennemies to tag a turret, can avoid melee class like noone else if you keep the possibility to do a 30m-charge at any time, etc.

Find a team who knows his job and play as a team. Your healers have to know that a tank who don't die can make the difference and keep them alive (not only with a shield on them). Before all, learn to know your own job and see the screenshots below to see what you'll be able to do...probably not the best scores you'll ever see as a BH tank but far far away from what your 125k DPS/100K protection scores are with the same stuff (full absorb)...

Yes, you can guard and have decent DPS as a BH Tank ! Keep your healer alive and see how much he'll thank you for that :

Your healers seem safe ? don't focus on guarding and help on DPS. Yes.. you can do decent DPS as a BH tank full absorb..if your team play as a team, you'll dps for a longer time than others even if your average dps or burst are low (like mine are) :

So you're a tank huh? You do realize that 80% of the attack types in PvP go right through your defense, shield and absorb right? Don't you mean you're just a hit point sponge for your healer? I laugh at you and your "full absorb".

If you dont like a class start an alt. All classes can suck if your playstyle does not match the class. remember you get the warrior buff for your alt if you passed act 2 so try a pyro or something else with a different buff so you get both. You will thank me. Then after you watch some tanks play you can go back. The class rocks btw and ive seen people become HUGE spiked sponges

So you're a tank huh? You do realize that 80% of the attack types in PvP go right through your defense, shield and absorb right? Don't you mean you're just a hit point sponge for your healer? I laugh at you and your "full absorb".

Where do you get that "80 %" from? You think you are kinda matematician or what?

Now I tell you, there are very high numbers in white damage attacks tooltips.

For example my sniper's "series of shots" ability (in lethality spec) has on tooltip 5022-5200 damage. Just freaking think about it: 5 k damage by default non crit. Ambush is 4000 on tooltip. Think about ravage.

And I do not get that lol autocrit and + over 9000 % damage increase like rage juggs/maras. Only yellow thing comparable with white damage big attacks are rage smash and carnage scream but ONLY because of autocrit and artificial buffs.

While white attacks has high damage just by default.

Where you get your stupid 80 %, and why you stubbornly think you so right about tanking stats?

Edited by BambulaGTS

**to the OP**

I appreciate your comments! They really help! Not everyone wants to give away their secrets, or waste time on someone else's thoughts anyway, so thank you.

But we have to bring this back to the starting point.

Point is simple>

1). a "full absorb" tank does not get credit because of the numbers on the screen at the end of the game.

2). or because he REALLY isn't doing as much as he claims since his gear is "nerfed". (my primary point, that my gear is just a waste in comparison to other tanks).

Example>

We Just Don't Get Credit, Even Though I Believe We are Vital.

1). Healers and DPS are getting 300,000 this and 500,000 that and when everyone sees our numbers it's no higher than 90,000 protection. Sometimes I see 150,000 (rare in pug) and once a month I might see 200,000. Even when you add damage against protection on average your lucky to hit 200,000-250,000. If we are such a vital asset...we should get credit at the end of the game. Bullying and nasty comments are not fun...and when some one sees you get 90,000/90,000 and they just got 500,000 they aren't gonna want to be in your group/guild etc. You guys say "tanks" take control of the field. Well we can't if semi experienced players don't believe us because of these numbers. No one will listen to us. Pug is a part of WZ's too and we deserve to get credit there as well, not just in guilded matches. Some of us don't have the schedule or the time to be in a guild btw. We deserve more points...somewhere for something...across the board those numbers should be closer...if two great tanks play against two great dps..protection should be 500,000 just like their damage is 500,000. That's just a fact. Or we should have another category for something else we do well.

2.) The gear. Even if you disagree with the first point you can't disagree with the fact that someone with COMPLETELY DIFF gear can get the same or more points in protection. The whole point of wearing absorb gear is to get your protection up, just like DPS gear get's damage/kills up. The problem is our protection doesn't go "up" anymore than someone wearing non absorb gear. That is the plain and simple truth. If the GEAR is doing something extra that we are unaware of...than it should be documented at the vendor, and we should see something extra at the points screen at the end of a WZ match.

Edited by NoaFlux

AND PLEASE BE CORRECT WHEN TALKING ABOUT TANKING. THERE IS A HUGE DIFF BETWEEN A TANK EQUIPPED WITH ABSORB AND ONE EQUIPPED WITH OUT IT.

A tank without absorb, maybe equipped with power is unstoppable.

A tank with absorb, when playing hard, does well but get's very little credit because his numbers are very low. It is possible to get lots of medals though.

**to the OP**

I have received similar numbers as this. But these circumstances are extremely rare. I play 6-8 matches a day and I only see numbers like this maybe twice a month if that.

Either way something is off...I understand how you got your protection that high, but I have never get over 200,000 damage ever and I keep a combat log. I do my highest damage hits as much as possible. I can get about 175,000.

My only guess is that you have all power/defense augs. Is this true?

In addition you are a different class from the looks of your picture...so I haven't even started looking into other classes. I can only speak for my own class>Jedi Shadow Tank.

There are many "cause for alarms" that go off when viewing your picture.

1.) after what update?

2.) what class/spec etc.

3.) did you have augs? i don't have them all yet but it's hard for me to believe that they will double my numbers.

4.) was it guilded?

Edited by NoaFlux

AND PLEASE BE CORRECT WHEN TALKING ABOUT TANKING. THERE IS A HUGE DIFF BETWEEN A TANK EQUIPPED WITH ABSORB AND ONE EQUIPPED WITH OUT IT.

A tank without absorb, maybe equipped with power is unstoppable.

A tank with absorb, when playing hard, does well but get's very little credit because his numbers are very low. It is possible to get lots of medals though.

As a hybrid Jugg Tank I usually make the top 3 for our team probably 90% of the time. (Huttball is where I usually dip because I'm focused on being a ball carrier)

Of course that might be harder for other tanks classes, I couldn't say as I haven't put the time in on those for high level PvP to properly judge.

I definitely feel absorb for a Jugg who wants to be a real guard tank is needed however. Sure it isn't perfect but it makes a difference IMO. I concentrated on striking a balance with expertise(1291), endurance, defense, shield and absorb (also use the proc WH absorb relic).

And since we are posting snaps..

https://live.staticflickr.com/7126/7872146732_47ecaa5988_b.jpg

As a hybrid Jugg Tank I usually make the top 3 for our team probably 90% of the time. (Huttball is where I usually dip because I'm focused on being a ball carrier)

Of course that might be harder for other tanks classes, I couldn't say as I haven't put the time in on those for high level PvP to properly judge.

I definitely feel absorb for a Jugg who wants to be a real guard tank is needed however. Sure it isn't perfect but it makes a difference IMO. I concentrated on striking a balance with expertise(1291), endurance, defense, shield and absorb (also use the proc WH absorb relic).

And since we are posting snaps..

https://live.staticflickr.com/7126/7872146732_47ecaa5988_b.jpg

WOW. I have never seen this before. Ever. I would think this is cheating.

500,000 protection? What? The other team must have really focused the healer. I asked some other tanks and healers what the most protection they have seen/received was the other day and nobody said over 300,000. Most said 200,000 max.

Give us some tips here buddy!

Edited by NoaFlux

80%? LOL, ok.. PvP Tanks should be geared to win the first dice roll. I'll just leave it at that..

The way tanking stats interact in PvP due to Force/Tech attacks is a mechanic I would really like to see re-visited by the developers.

Expertise - global mitigation that works on everything, generally irrelevant to stat discussions because it works the same for everyone and has static values on gear

Endurance - never wasted increase to TTK (also increases TTK of Guarded)

Defense - only works on Force/Tech, can completely avoid crits (to help mitigate burst)

Shield - only works on Force/Tech that has not been avoided with Defense, rolled alongside crits (so you can never shield a crit to help mitigate burst potential)

Absorb - only works on attacks that have been shielded

Depending on comp and situation, the investment into secondary stats is often not worth neutering damage output, since only a small amount of attacks are affected. That is up to debate though, since it's apples and oranges unless you're in a situation where added damage would have been more helpful to your team than survivability (IE: clearing out a point VS staying alive with the Huttball).

The main problem is that the diminishing returns and % ratings do not line up with the usefulness between the different tanking stats. 50% Absorb doesn't mean much if not many attacks are actually getting shielded (and the attacks you want to curve damage on the most - Crits - cannot be shielded).

That leaves tanks with taking sub-par stats in order to increase their TTK with Endurance (and Defense). It gets much better once you purchase many extra pieces of War Hero gear to optimize mods (for example, replacing +32 Endurance Absorb Mods with +49 Endurance Defense Mods) but requires a large investment. There are still off-set pieces that only come in Shield/Absorb varieties, or (worse) have the same or less Endurance than DPS/healing pieces. To my knowledge, all class Armorings are identical as well.

Gear is generally flexible and can be optimized. It sucks having to purchase extra boots to clobber out the mods in your chestpiece but the primary limiting factor / issue there isn't one of balance but of commitment and convenience.

A related and bigger issue than tanking gear, IMO, deals with skill trees (and exists because of the great disparity between the value of stats). PT tanks get hit especially hard here (I say selfishly) since their niche seems to be high passive shield/absorb.

Also, it does not help that DPS players have access to taunts (and to a lesser degree Guard through stance dancing) or that the top-tier ability in the tanking skill tree is for resource regen/DPS, which make it a bit harder to justify being a pure PvP tank.

Edited by DarthBuckets

WOW. I have never seen this before. Ever. I would think this is cheating.

500,000 protection? What? The other team must have really focused the healer. I asked some other tanks and healers what the most protection they have seen/received was the other day and nobody said over 300,000. Most said 200,000 max.

Give us some tips here buddy!

First off I never cheat, much less at games and used to gripe at my son for using cheat codes on his games. I've actually been accused of cheating in Huttball a few times because of unstoppable to. I loathe cheaters.

That is my best score for protection ever (that was PUG to).. I have gotten over 300K many times, just a few 400k but never anything at almost 500K except for this instance. It came from a long standoff at the middle node in Civil War. They also attempted to focus me down at many points but we had so many healers that it was near impossible for them to kill me or the healers. (the primary healer I was guarding never died during that match BTW)

My current setup is focused primarily has a healer guard and huttball carrier.

Tips.. well first I could only really help with Jugg/Guardians as that has been my main from day one of release. However, I would start by using this spreadsheet from SWTOR Mechanics:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-615.html

Be sure to read the directions in the first forum post. That will help you balance your defenses for your class and get the most bang for your buck. (this spreadsheet has helped to balance and maximize my defenses)

Don't fall into the trap of sacrificing too much expertise. If you want to be a solid PvP guarding tank it's important to be tough and healable in PvP. After re-modding my WH gear + blue 48 fort buff I'm able to easily hit 24K health and still have 1291 Expertise + a good balance of defense stats.

I could actually get more damage in but I focus on protecting my healer(s), controlling objectives and containing opposing healers as much as possible. However I’m really not spec’d to do damage nor do I have any real DPS gear on in this build. I have used mixed Tank/DPS gear in the past and can say that I’m definitely tougher with the tank gear. Sure I could survive with a lot of DPS gear but only with good healers working harder than if I had been more tank geared. Defending a node with me guarding a great healer makes it near untakable with many folks focusing on us. Problem is finding the good healers and being in the right spot when you PUG a lot like myself.

One thing I will point out for my particular build.. I’m not so great when we have no healers on our team. I can hold out an objective better then most but I don’t really shine unless I have a good healer to guard.

The main problem is that the diminishing returns and % ratings do not line up with the usefulness between the different tanking stats. 50% Absorb doesn't mean much if not many attacks are actually getting shielded (and the attacks you want to curve damage on the most - Crits - cannot be shielded).

One small thing that people forget. true a crit cannot be shielded, but if you have 50% absorb rating then you are a fool if your shield is not almost as high. If your shield is that high, then you have a shield rating that is going to be greater than any standard crit rating (Even a crit heavy build is going to finish at 40% crit) - and the two roll against each other to determine if an attack is a crit or not. This essentially means that the only crits you are likely to see often are auto, or virtually auto crits (which still had to run past your def to land).

Tanking is about layered defence, not pumping a single stat. If you have a strong layered def, you will see a difference.

Anyway, back to the point- the numbers being thrown around by the OP that he is pulling are way too low and as i said before, thats not due to his gear. In my full tanking gear i can get 200k+ protection just for showing up, 300k+ for doing my job and when i really play well, 400k+ happens.

There are issues with tanking stats, but over exaggerating the facts doesnt help. The main fix needed with tanking is to make gaurd damage run past the tanks defences, which the devs have stated is what is meant to happen. Currently its bugged and this is not the case. Once that happens? I'll break 500k and you will see a huge difference in tanks wearing tank gear.

Edited by AKfourtyseven