How does Match to Chest work? (Implementation-wise, I mean.)

WulfSolaris

I've been wondering how this feature works. My gut tells me that every item in the game has a certain number of color "zones" assigned to it, and that when you choose to match an item to your chest, it simply changes its color zone to the corresponding chest color zone.

For instance, if a chest piece is mainly blue (color zone 1) with gold accents (color zone 2) and white shoulder pads (color zone three), then a pair of boots that are yellow (color zone 1) and green (color zone 2) will become blue and gold if you match them to the chest. They won't have any white in them because the boots have one less color zone.

Is that how it works?

The reason I ask is because, when it comes to chest options, the color palette isn't very wide, and I'd love to be able to someday match my chest to other items on my character instead of only matching things to the chest. But if the Match to Chest option uses something similar to the "color zone" implementation I mentioned, then it wouldn't work too well because some items wouldn't have enough "color zones" to make a chest piece match. (For instance, in the above example, matching your chest to boots would leave the shoulder pads white because the boots don't have a third color zone to match to.)

Hope that wasn't too confusing, just trying to figure this out because I'd love to have more color options for outfits in the future!

It does not work that well. For example...on my IA, I hated the blue on his head pc, so I tried to match it to my chest pc, which has no blue at all in it...but shades of grey and only part of the head pc changed. Still had about half of it with that stupid blue color. Sure I could turn off the show head pc, but I hate doing that. Very poor customizing feature. It will work basically like you said..but not allways exactly that way. :p

Experience says its both more and less advanced than you suspect.

It's more than just a color "zone" as I have three pairs of pants for my Operative and they all change various shades of grey when matched with a few of my modable chest pieces. Not just matching "grey", but specific combinations of dark and light grey, sometimes with a bluish cast, sometimes with a greenish cast, sometimes, a pure unsaturated grey. Conclusion: The adjustment is not simple color-replacement.

Also, it's not a guaranteed color replacement. I have some pants that turn to a nice blue when matched with a blue chest piece. When put with a red chest piece, they just turn grey. Another set of pants, stays grey when matched with the blue armor, but turns red when matched with the red chest piece. Conclusion: The adjustment isn't a pure translation, and isn't guarantee to occur with every chest piece.

Based on that, I have come up with a simple hypothesis: The color matching is not dynamic. Rather, when matching some equipment to a chestpiece, the game will search for all pre-existing recolors of that model, looking for a designated version that matches the chest piece in use.

I recently got a set of grey-purple armor. When I set my boots to match, they recolored as a vibrant purple. It was vibrant enough to trip my memory: I'd seen the color scheme before, on a much higher level item. I'd never seen a purple version of my belt, however, and sure enough, when it was set to match, it simply used a darker grey.

Still, I'd love to see a CM who could confirm/deny/clarify the way it works.