Don’t Call Them Ruth-Less: Tales of Wynston and Quinn

bright_ephemera

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I would love him unconditionally if he would stop being such a jerk."

"I'm going to write that down as a no," said Dysagape.

I love the whole thing but I loved this line. Gold. I also love the idea of Sith therapy. They all really do need it don't they?

October, 29 ATC: Counseling 2: Social Norms, Quinn and Dysagape

"You have a lot of difficulty surrounding the event where you and Ruth tried to kill each other."

"Yes," Quinn said shortly.

"Can you tell me a little bit about that?"

"I was first assigned to her as a spy for my master Darth Baras. When conflict broke out between him and Ruth, I was ordered to kill her. I made an effort to do so."

"But you failed."

"Well, yes."

"And that one incident was the source of the all the rest of this difficulty?"

"Yes. She never really forgave me for it."

"So...after your one kill attempt prompted by direct orders from your superior, she withheld both social and sexual contact as well as tightly restricting access to your son for...fifteen years? Doesn't that strike you as a little controlling?"

"I betrayed the faith she had placed in me, every feeling we had declared. She was scarcely out of her teens and I tore her every hope of trust, in work or in love, to shreds."

"And that was a reality check, wasn't it? This is the Empire we live in. You were doing her a favor."

"I ripped out her heart on the word of a worthless butcher!"

"And she didn't see that coming? It really sounds like she was having some trouble adjusting to the expectations of Sith culture. May I ask where Ruth was originally from?"

"Dromund Kaas. She's a sixth-generation Sith."

Dysagape's mouth fell open. After a second he managed "I don't even know what to say to that."

Quinn smiled a little. "Neither did I when we first met. She made her attitudes work, though."

"Evidently not if she felt vindictive enough to punish you for a decade and a half over a very normal, very reasonable professional move."

"Not wholly vindictive. For all her anger, she defended me, too. More than once. She extended her authority to preserve my life even when she didn't need to. And in person she would have given her life for me in a heartbeat, even when it would have been utterly foolish to do so."

"I have to question that, General Quinn."

Quinn frowned at him. "In the end, she did sacrifice herself. I know she was angry but I know...I hope...she still cared."

"I was more referring to your earlier efforts. Think this through with me. You tried to kill her because it was your responsibility."

"Yes."

"And what would have happened if you refused?"

"Well, Darth Baras would have had me killed."

"So in effect it was your life or hers."

"I don't like where this is going."

"She had an opportunity to save you by simply dying in the normal, socially accepted way, but she chose not to, knowing that the price was likely to be your life, because she was fundamentally out for herself."

"She was too preoccupied with having the very assumptions of her world shattered to analyze the situation in that detail."

"That sort of sounds like she was irrational as well as selfish." Dysagape leaned forward. "She was as Sith as the rest of us. You just have to remember that her hypocrisy was not your fault."

"The discrepancy between your insane expectations and her passionate, genuine, freely offered love does not constitute hypocrisy!"

"Ah, it's very interesting that you use the word 'insane.' Because by all Imperial and Sith standards, I'm not the one displaying that quality."

"It was her standard that kept us all alive through the Emperor's threat, not yours."

"And you see, that's another example of her prioritizing saving lives rather than killing her master for some healthy reason like usurping his power. I hope you can recognize that there's a profound disconnect here between your wife's behavior and–"

Quinn slammed from parade rest to a half-salute. "If you'll excuse me, I need to be elsewhere."

"Oh? Keeping busy, are we?"

"Yes." Quinn showed his teeth. "I have a full day of killing particularly destructive Sith scheduled."

"Oh," said Dysagape, relieved. "That's excellent that you're getting out of the house for something so–"

Quinn walked out.

"Killing Sith in his spare time," murmured the counselor, finishing up his notes. "There may be hope for him after all."

Edited by bright_ephemera

Why is this so much fun??

November, 29 ATC: Counseling 3, the Trio plus Wynston's long arm

Spoilers for the Imperial Agent Act 2. Also, as with all the Counseling run, Ruth Means Compassion, all of it.

"Gentlemen, have a seat," said Doctor Dysagape. "Now, then. Before we start, were there any questions you two had for me or each other?"

Quinn cleared his throat. "I had a question, actually. I wanted to ask Rylon whether...whether he's all right. After the Emperor's mind control, after what happened with the Voice and again in the Emperor's fortress."

"Uh, Dad? You could've just asked me on the way over."

"As a precaution I prefer to ask in a milieu that will suppress combat efforts."

"What, like Doctor Short'n'round here could stop me?"

"That wasn't the point," Quinn said hastily. "I just...I worry. You must have suffered a great deal."

Rylon shrugged. "It was kinda freaky, but I'll live. The mind control was weird, but I talked it over with Wynston a lot, he really helped put it in perspective."

"You talked it over with…Wynston?"

"Yeah. He's had some experience in the area."

"And you couldn't bring it up with me?"

"'Hey Dad, let's talk about those times I tried to kill Mom' didn't seem like the greatest idea."

"Perhaps not, but you might try something less inviting of disaster than confiding in Agent Wynston."

"General, you seem to be afraid of Wynston receiving the attention and trust of your loved ones," observed Dysagape.

"Afraid? No. Infuriated? Yes."

"I get the impression that this is a longstanding grudge. Do you feel that this Wynston has wronged you before?"

"He slept with my wife before I got involved with her and now he's stealing my son's trus-"

"WHAT."

Quinn looked at Rylon, startled. "What is it?"

"Mom slept with Wynston?"

"Ah. Well, yes. Frankly I'm surprised Wynston never bragged about it."

"Wynston slept with Mom? Dad, the only person she ever talked about with even a whiff of…anything even vaguely like that, was you."

Quinn perked up. "Really?"

"Well, yeah. I’m gonna go ahead and guess that whatever disgusting thing happened with him was bad enough to get swept under the rug…”

Quinn looked pleased.

“…because Wynston’s never once mentioned it in all that time we’ve spent talking.”

Quinn frowned. “All the time you’ve spent talking?”

“Yeah. Any time I’m in the area while you’re busy we get to talking. Like I said, there’s the mind control thing, common experiences like that. And he’s got some kind of running interview thing going, gathering data or something about tragedy and whether women come on to me.”

Quinn only twitched a little bit. "Even if I did swear I would not have the obscene vocabulary for, first, what I am thinking right now, and, second, what I will do to that alien when I get my hands on him."

"Could you maybe please not kill him?"

"What, were you also sharing confidences on the importance of me not harming him?"

Rylon's gaze darted around the room. "If I say no, will you not harm him?"

"No."

"Look, Dad, he just wanted to talk."

“I can talk!”

"Well, he can talk without spilling stuff about Mom’s sex life! That makes the conversations a lot less disturbing."

"Apart from the freak occurrence mentioned previously, there's nothing to say on the subject.”

Dysagape waved his stylus. “Er, can I just make sure we’re clear on this, General? You’re saying that with your wife, Ruth, there was no sex life to talk about?”

“No! I’m saying there’s nothing I’m going to share with Rylon!”

“Much appreciated, Dad.”

“I do my best, Rylon.”

“So," said Dysagape, "I’ll just add that to the already extensive list of things you appear to be unwilling to talk to your son about.”

“Uh, I’m the one who expressed unwillingness to talk about trying to murder Mom,” volunteered Rylon. “This goes both ways.”

“Yes, there’s quite a lot we both refuse to communicate about,” agreed Quinn.

“Which is why I talk to Wynston sometimes,” explained Rylon.

“Bloody–” said Quinn, and took a hissing breath. “Fine. I’ll talk. I am entirely willing to talk to you and help you sort through whatever it is you discuss with that alien.”

“Um. If you want. So, uh, let's talk about those times I tried to kill Mom?”

“Yes, let’s. It must have been a very dark and difficult time, and I am and always will be here for you, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that you tried to stab my wife to death, you ungrateful idiot.”

“Hey, wasn’t this about me confiding in you about how much I must have suffered?”

Quinn looked over at Doctor Dysagape. “Are you supposed to be mediating or possibly doing something constructive or otherwise earning your pay?”

"I wouldn't dream of interfering with this cruiser wreck," Dysagape said mildly. “Please, carry on.”

Rylon gave him a suddenly-bored look and stood. “You know, Dad, we could probably do this without the audience.”

“If that is an effort to lure me out of the combat-restricted zone, Rylon, I…I’ll be very proud of you.”

“Hey. Like I said earlier, Short’n’round couldn’t stop me if he tried. The only person who’s ever beaten me in real combat – not that polite first-blood stuff Mom always ordered me to stop at, but real combat – is, well, you. You cheated about a billion ways, but you’re the only one who ever knocked me out of a fight. So really, if I were gonna try to kill you, it being inside or outside is not the part I worry about.” He shoved his hands in his pockets. “So are we gonna go?”

“Yes. Let's.” Quinn nodded coolly at Dysagape, who seemed disappointed that the entertainment was about to leave. Father and son stepped out into the steady Dromund Kaas drizzle and started walking nowhere in particular.

“That was all very flattering,” Quinn said, “but I still can’t believe you talk to Wynston.”

“He’s all right, Dad.”

“Then you clearly haven’t talked enough to get to know him.”

“We see a fair amount of each other. It’s a way to learn a little about the Operation you two run, and also just get, I dunno, some perspective, about Mom and life and stuff. I…Force and thunder, what thought just put that look on your face?”

“It just occurred to me,” said Quinn, “that I am profoundly grateful I didn’t have a daughter.”

October, 29 ATC: Counseling 2: Social Norms, Quinn and Dysagape

"The discrepancy between your insane expectations and her passionate, genuine, freely offered love does not constitute hypocrisy!"

"Ah, it's very interesting that you use the word 'insane.' Because by all Imperial and Sith standards, I'm not the one displaying that quality."

"It was her standard that kept us all alive through the Emperor's threat, not yours."

"And you see, that's another example of her prioritizing saving lives rather than killing her master for some healthy reason like usurping his power. I hope you can recognize that there's a profound disconnect here between your wife's behavior and–"

Quinn slammed from parade rest to a half-salute. "If you'll excuse me, I need to be elsewhere."

"Oh? Keeping busy, are we?"

"Yes." Quinn showed his teeth. "I have a full day of killing particularly destructive Sith scheduled."

BAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!

Wait, stop making me love Quinn! :mad:

Why is this so much fun??

I don't know, but it totally is.

November, 29 ATC: Counseling 3, the Trio plus Wynston's long arm

Spoilers for the Imperial Agent Act 2. Also, as with all the Counseling run, Ruth Means Compassion, all of it.

" And he’s got some kind of running interview thing going, gathering data or something about tragedy and whether women come on to me.”

“It just occurred to me,” said Quinn, “that I am profoundly grateful I didn’t have a daughter.”

Hilarious. Just hilarious. Sat there and giggled for way too long.

Edit: I just had this tween girl (with all the tween emotional angsty nonsense) pop into my head. Dealing with Quinn, and Wynston, and Pierce, and Rylon. Good lord, it's probably a very very good thing none of Quinn's affairs during the seperation from Ruth resulted in a daughter. The guys would never survive, lol. (Although if one were to show up, the resulting reign of destruction would be EPIC!)

Edited by iamthehoyden

Edit: I just had this tween girl (with all the tween emotional angsty nonsense) pop into my head. Dealing with Quinn, and Wynston, and Pierce, and Rylon. Good lord, it's probably a very very good thing none of Quinn's affairs during the seperation from Ruth resulted in a daughter. The guys would never survive, lol. (Although if one were to show up, the resulting reign of destruction would be EPIC!)

Oh, you're evil! :D

Don't think I didn't consider Quinn bastards, either. I ultimately rejected the idea on the grounds that no matter how screwed-up his mindstate got he was never that careless, but...the appearance of the Pretty Young Officers' Club, The Next Generation would be hilariously awkward.

It was in my sole writeup of one of those affairs that I first tried to articulate the air-of-noble-tragedy thing. I didn't have the phrase at the time, but that's totally what the woman in question was talking about.

Back to the matter at hand, technically Jaesa has twin daughters who would, in fact, be 13 at this point on the timeline.........but I can't write teen girls. Hell, I have a hard enough time dealing with 17-year-old Rylon. (Edited to add: Really, I have no idea why I wrote a multigenerational setting, given that children and teenagers make no sense to me and I deeply dislike most of them. I'm kind of shocked I haven't killed Rylon just to stop having to write him yet, because it's hard for me to figure out what's going on in his head, oh, ever. There's a reason I've written no more than 500 words about him from age 0-14.)

Anyway, all that leaves me with a cast that's very skewed towards the men. Then again, so is the entire Sith Warrior line. I know, I know, the prime player character in this fic is an Agent, but he's entirely defined by his relationship to the Sith Warrior and her world...poor guy. :rolleyes:

Oh, you're evil! :D
Lol, I know, right?

...technically Jaesa has twin daughters who would, in fact, be 13 at this point on the timeline.........but I can't write teen girls. Hell, I have a hard enough time dealing with 17-year-old Rylon. (Edited to add: Really, I have no idea why I wrote a multigenerational setting, given that children and teenagers make no sense to me and I deeply dislike most of them.
Lol, teen girls - well, I have 5 younger sisters and used to teach middle and high school so I understand them a bit. The image of the guys tiptoeing through the minefield that is female tween emotions to avoid the insecure meltdowns and joyous squealing and tears and rage and random hugging is just delicious. I'll enjoy the thought even if it never gets written down, lol.

And you do great with Rylon! Teen guys (at least the ones that are Rylon's age) are pretty much like older guys only they haven't quite figured out sane ways of proving themselves yet.

Edited by iamthehoyden

• 2 weeks later...

November, 29 ATC: Rylon Has Two Dads

"Hazard, can I trouble you for a moment?"

"Any time you like, Wynston."

"Could you just look at Quinn and tell me whether he's still carrying the air of noble tragedy? It's hard for me to tell sometimes."

The Joiner obligingly gave Quinn a long once-over. "Yes," she said simply. "It's all around him. It just makes you want to take him in your arms, pull him close, and tell him it will be all right, he doesn't to face it alone. You know?"

Wynston crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows. "No," he said grimly. "No, nothing about him has ever given me that urge."

"You're a cold man, Wynston."

"Hmph. You're too young for him anyway."

"He's less than three years older than–"

"Oh, you're too young for me, too, but at least I'm charming." Wynston huffed petulantly. "I thought that counseling was supposed to do something about his wretched mystique."

"Perhaps he is the one you should be talking to."

"I'll do that."

Wynston headed over to where Quinn was consulting with Rylon.

"I think it would really help, Dad," Rylon was saying.

"I am not going to couples counseling with Wynston," snarled Quinn.

"…What?" said Wynston.

"Oh, hi." Rylon waved vaguely. "Look, the only subject that gets him as neurotic as Mom is you. So if he's stuck, maybe you should come along."

"Come along to your counselor."

"Yeah."

"And be trapped in a room with Agent Quinn, telling him about my feelings."

"Well, yeah."

"Rylon, what do you think I've been doing for the past year?"

"It isn't like Dysagape would help the process," muttered Quinn. "The man is worse than useless."

"I dunno," said Rylon, "he gets us onto some interesting subjects."

Quinn scowled. "I'm not going to our next session, you know. I'll be busy."

"Friday next, isn't it?" said Wynston. "You don't have work lined up."

"I mean to find something to take my mind off matters. It's the anniversary…twice over…of…well. I don't intend to elaborate on that."

"And see, Dad, that's something else you should work on. Observing depressing anniversaries. You go way overboard with that."

"No I don't."

"In the past year and a half, we have: Mom's birthday. Your birthday, for some reason. The anniversaries of you and Mom's first everything you won't tell me about and I never want to hear. The day you shot me in the back. The day you stabbed Mom in the back. The day you stabbed Darth Baras in the back."

Quinn frowned. "You make it sound like I made a habit of this."

"The record speaks for itself," said Wynston with a malicious little smile.

"If it's a habit, Agent, you're next."

"You already attempted to have me indefinitely locked in an Imperial brig."

"That’s only half the job, I'm sure I could do more."

"And left me with no transport and no supplies on the top of a mesa on Tatooine. And mysteriously run out of painkillers on at least four occasions when I got hit in the field."

"Those occasions were your carelessness."

"You got me convicted of forgery, reckless driving, and homicide in a Rodian court."

"The record," Quinn said with some satisfaction, "speaks for itself."

"It was a falsified record! Mostly. Then there was that time I ended up on the wrong side of a locked durasteel door with a frothing mob of frustrated women after you convinced them all I had stolen your attentions in what has got to be the worst-timed development of homosexual tendencies – even fake ones – in history. You have done just about everything except literally shoot me. My original claim of 'perfidious bastard' stands."

"It isn't perfidy with you. I have always been honest in saying you can't and shouldn't trust me."

"Perfidy aside, you're still a bastard."

Quinn looked over. "Rylon, if you take one more step toward the popcorn machine I will be forced to discipline you."

Wynston looked over as well. "Go for it, Rylon."

Rylon hesitated. "You're not my real dad," he pointed out.

"I had more of a presence in your life than Quinn did, at least in the early years."

"Which is why I thought you coming with us to counseling would–"

"No," burst Wynston and Quinn together.

Just caught back up with reading this, and I can't help but find myself extremely curious as to who fathered Jaesa's twins. I'm also wondering what happened to your Vette. (Good job on that post referencing the other authors by the way. I was laughing hard-core.)

<_<

>_>

*sneaks over to RMC to catch back up on that cus she's a bad girl and forgets to check for extremely long periods of time.*

Just caught back up with reading this, and I can't help but find myself extremely curious as to who fathered Jaesa's twins. I'm also wondering what happened to your Vette. (Good job on that post referencing the other authors by the way. I was laughing hard-core.)

<_<

>_>

*sneaks over to RMC to catch back up on that cus she's a bad girl and forgets to check for extremely long periods of time.*

hee! Let's see, in order...Jaesa met a nice LS Sith and settled down with him to have nice LS Sith babies while she continues her warm-fuzzy LS Sith work. She's actually doing a much better job following in Ruth's father's footsteps than Ruth did. I know nothing whatsoever about Kaeve Brindel...well, I know his name, I know he's physically capable of siring children, and I know he's all fuzzy-wuzzy LS Sith. I haven't put further thought into him.

Vette did the smuggler questline starting in about 13 ATC and has spent her time since then adventuring and/or helping to coordinate the activities of a significant chunk of the galactic underworld. She continues to do the occasional contract work for Wynston's Organization, but prefers to avoid the Vortex Of Depressing that is Quinn ever since Ruth's death.

I recently pulled together RMC with some supplementary in-timeline stuff; the PDF link is here. (If you don't mind some significant context-jumping from reading out of order, the post that lists just the added/significantly amended chapters is here.) From here onward I don't intend to do much active work on her, just the short fic prompts that immediately spring to mind.

hee! Let's see, in order...Jaesa met a nice LS Sith and settled down with him to have nice LS Sith babies while she continues her warm-fuzzy LS Sith work. She's actually doing a much better job following in Ruth's father's footsteps than Ruth did. I know nothing whatsoever about Kaeve Brindel...well, I know his name, I know he's physically capable of siring children, and I know he's all fuzzy-wuzzy LS Sith. I haven't put further thought into him.

Vette did the smuggler questline starting in about 13 ATC and has spent her time since then adventuring and/or helping to coordinate the activities of a significant chunk of the galactic underworld. She continues to do the occasional contract work for Wynston's Organization, but prefers to avoid the Vortex Of Depressing that is Quinn ever since Ruth's death.

I recently pulled together RMC with some supplementary in-timeline stuff; the PDF link is here. (If you don't mind some significant context-jumping from reading out of order, the post that lists just the added/significantly amended chapters is here.) From here onward I don't intend to do much active work on her, just the short fic prompts that immediately spring to mind.

Thank you, ma'am! :D

• 1 month later...

December, 29 ATC: School of Hard Knocks

The high-priority mission had been handled with the help of an accidentally timed visit by Rylon and a sudden, desperate play involving him making bratty Sith lord demands while Junior, Quinn, and Wynston did a lot of background scrambling. Pitched battle broke out within minutes, but it was enough time for Quinn and Wynston to handle the data transfer before they joined Junior and Rylon in the wildly overheated struggle against the guards and the Sith they had hoped to fool.

"I must say," said Quinn, "Rylon makes a much more convincing Sith than you ever did, agent."

Wynston gestured dismissively. "That's because Rylon's an actual Sith. I maintain that I could've gotten us through that particular scene back there with a lot less trouble."

Pierce Junior chuckled. "Trouble ended up all on their side. Just the way I like it."

"We talked the survivor into giving up what we wanted," Rylon said happily. "Force choking is just about the most convincing trick Mom ever taught me."

"You don't need to tell me that," muttered Quinn, unconsciously tugging at his collar.

Rylon continued grinning. "So do you guys need Sith running around using Sith authority much? Because that was awesome."

"Rylon," said Quinn, "I'm more than a little reluctant – "

"– to encourage you," Wynston's words overlapped in unison before Quinn fell silent, "to engage in Dark Sith rampages in the line of duty."

Wynston and Quinn shot dirty looks at each other.

"You guys kill people all the time," said Rylon. "How is a little Sith discipline any different?"

"I don't enjoy doing it," said Quinn.

"Unless it's for the Empire," said Wynston, "or you just really dislike the mark."

"I don't enjoy it much," amended Quinn. "We aren't in this business for the kill. We're in it to get the job done as efficiently as possible for the good of the Emp–er, people."

"I can do stuff for the good of the people. And also Force choke jerks. No problems here," said Rylon. "Come on, you guys have got to need a Sith for some stunt or other. Right?"

"You shouldn't be chasing this, Rylon," Wynston said seriously. "It's ugly work, and dangerous. The best thing for you is to go home, get back to your studies, and stay clear."

"Whoa," rumbled Junior. "Hear that, Wynston? I think that was the sound of my respect for you dropping through the floor."

"Which is where it should be," said Quinn, "but in this the agent is correct. Rylon, while I was glad you were available to assist with this mission, this isn't where you belong. I'm sure Jaesa's training is keeping you busy."

"Ever think that maybe for once I want to be fighting on your side, Dad?"

Everyone was quiet for a moment.

"Son," said Quinn in a quiet strained voice, "that was a shamefully transparent effort to appeal to my feelings to get what you want. If you knew the first thing about the line of work you're so eager to join you would know that that never works on Imperial officers when their subordinates are watching. Reason first. Save any appeal to feelings for the people who experience them."

"Uh," said Junior. "Subordinates?"

"Uh," said Wynston. "Officer? Not for quite some time."

Junior tilted his head. "No, but if he's talking about the officer-style resistance, he's still got that. It's perversely mesmerizing."

"Are you joking? Dragging him around by his feelings is trivial."

"Do shut up," said Quinn.

"So…logically," Rylon said slowly, "do you really want to leave my education in the hands of the woman that you've been calling an idiot in front of me – when Mom couldn't hear – ever since I was old enough to know what the word 'idiot' meant? You would leave me with her when I'm old enough now to join a different, perfectly valid way of protecting Mom's ideals?"

"Not a bad try," Junior said thoughtfully.

"Very good start," said Wynston. "Still heavily emotional, but then, Ruth's a trump card no matter what he claims–"

"Rylon," Quinn said loudly, "I'm willing to take you on for some training. But only if you promise not to listen to these two."

December, 29 ATC: School of Hard Knocks

Junior tilted his head. "No, but if he's talking about the officer-style resistance, he's still got that. It's perversely mesmerizing."

"Are you joking? Dragging him around by his feelings is trivial."

"Do shut up," said Quinn.

"So…logically," Rylon said slowly, "do you really want to leave my education in the hands of the woman that you've been calling an idiot in front of me – when Mom couldn't hear – ever since I was old enough to know what the word 'idiot' meant? You would leave me with her when I'm old enough now to join a different, perfectly valid way of protecting Mom's ideals?"

"Not a bad try," Junior said thoughtfully.

"Very good start," said Wynston. "Still heavily emotional, but then, Ruth's a trump card no matter what he claims–"

"Rylon," Quinn said loudly, "I'm willing to take you on for some training. But only if you promise not to listen to these two."

KAAS CITY (EP) -- In the Empire today, extraordinary permission was granted by the Dark Council for an author named Adwynyth (of absolutely no renown) to marry a portion of a work of fiction.

No other such human/fiction bindings are known, although ceremonial marriages between Kath hounds and dessert confections have been known to have occurred in historical Alderaan and Corellia.

Stay tuned for more on this developing story.