Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Attacking in Voidstar - damage or healing

Doque

I am a hybrid sorc healer and I have been thinking about my ratio between healing and damage while attacking in Voidstar. Normally I would prioritize healing whenever I see people taking damage unless it is obvious they will win the fight and have time to regain health. As attacker, however, I feel that the time it takes for a dps to get back into action after respawn is so short that the importance of healing is diminished. Especially, since it is often a dps race to get rid of all the defenders before they respawn. Even though my hps is much higher than my dps I still feel I am doing more good killing off low health targets.

My question is mostly aimed at other healers but all constructive answers are welcome. Am I doing the right thing to focus more (not entirely but more) on damage in this case? Are others doing the same?

I'd say it depends where you're attacking from.

Ideally, you break the stalemate at the first door in Voidstar by first applying pressure to the strong side, then having 1 or 2 skilled attackers pick off the weak side (3 if the enemy has 2+ players defending). At that point, the defenders either respond to the weakside pressure giving you the chance to plant on the strong side, or fail to respond and you get to plant on the weakside.

Now, if you start off on the strong side (the zerg), you're probably better off doing some healing to keep constant pressure going. You want this attack to stay constant. If however you join a DPS hitting the weakside, this is where getting the quick kill is more important than some healing.

Doque: The #1 thing I love about my role as hybrid healer is that every second of every match I have to decide: "What is the best use of my skills?" Of course, every good PvPer build/spec regardless has this but what makes us different is the ability to both heal/passive assist and dps/aggressive assist.

In general, for normal warzones and solo or small team queueing, I will favor DPSing more if I know we have two dedicated 31 point healers. Especially in voidstar, where burst/timely dpsing down of opponents is so important.

A team with 3 full healers will rarely let the opponent get a door open, conversely they will struggle hard to open one as well.

My ratios vary from 33-67 DPS to heals (if I'm heal centric) to 60-40 if I'm DPS focused, with the bulk of that 40% being bubbles and self healing. In a voidstar, even if I'm healing primary I can still push out 140-180k damage, sometimes more, while healing 300k +. Why? because when you outnumber your opponent 4 to 2 (including yourself) it's clearly the more effective move to DPS down the 2 after bubbling your 3 teammates rather then just feed them heals. Remember, that door is just waiting to open again whether its voidstar or novare.

Edited by islander

My favorite thing to do as a Hybrid Healer Sorc in Voidstar while attacking is to hold the defenders.

Step 1: Spend 2 points in Electric Bindings.

Step 2: Pick a partner who is any class that has an AoE Mezz.

Step 3: Wipe the defenders.

Step 4: Stand at the corner between the door your team is planting and the defender spawn

Step 5: Wait for the defenders to escape from respawn and drop down.

Step 6: Overload in their face before they turn the corner, If placed correctly they should all be thrown back into the corner of their drop down platform and the separator platform. If you missed any, use your Stun and Mezz.

Step 7: Your AoE Mezzing friend waits for the 5 second root to expire, then uses his AoE Mezz.

Congratulations! You just bought your team 13 seconds of planting time!

Yeah but this assumes your fellow idiots ... err I mean teammates... won't break the cc's.

Yes, it certainly does require that. If I've got a teammate with me I'll usually post in OPS chat what I plan to do and ask them to stun any stragglers or door swappers. It sometimes works.

Yes, it certainly does require that. If I've got a teammate with me I'll usually post in OPS chat what I plan to do and ask them to stun any stragglers or door swappers. It sometimes works.

We're lucky if we can stop getting 3 idiots to try opening the door/bridge/etc at the same time. Same in Alderaan. Folks don't seem to realize it only takes one to do these things - it's not Novare coast.

I'll hit a door/console first, yet I'll have to abort it when two other geniuses do this. It's nuts.

Generally, damage when attacking, heal when defending. Especially when attacking at the bridge or the 3 consoles, it's almost a waste of time to heal anyone in those places.

Caveat being if you have 3 attackers keeping 5 defenders busy, then yes, you should probably heal.

Edited by anwg

Generally, damage when attacking, heal when defending. Especially when attacking at the bridge or the 3 consoles, it's almost a waste of time to heal anyone in those places.

Caveat being if you have 3 attackers keeping 5 defenders busy, then yes, you should probably heal.

yep. It's more of a 'what makes more sense' type of deal. It's what I enjoy most about this spec (although I chose the more damage intensive madness derivative of the hybrid heal).

To expand on this, forcing opponents to spawn at the far side of an unextended bridge, guarantees the bridge will be extended in a shorter time span.

The last thing you want is an extended fight at the bridge controls. There is a brief moment for healing while the bridge is extending. The disadvantage of a long bridge control battle is that a large group will be meeting you upon the bridge once it does extend, and guarantees a good portion of your team is vulnerable to being forced into a freefall death.

Crossing both bridges with good spacing will mitigate this. Also, using the same tactics works , but you have be able to do it while on the run. If you are lucky, you can kill 4-5 opponents moments before you extend the bridge so that you may cross while they are trapped in the spawn area. The timing of the forcefield drop is a huge factor in Voidstar.

Edited by Sungas

Yeah, and not enough people realize that if you kill defenders after the blast door opens, they can't stop you from opening the door.

I never actually kill anyone while waiting for the door to blow. I try to keep them at low health so when it blows, you can try finishing off a couple folks and make it that much easier to release the bridge.

Meanwhile on defense, you're better served (imo) ignoring the offensive team and just racing to the bridge terminals and fighting there

Edited by islander

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.