Noob player needs help

Phillejackson

I'm playing as a Jedi Knight and I find this game very hard. I'm level 17 and I die anytime I start a fight with a group, silver and gold. I don't play MMO very often and I never had this problem with KOTOR or KOTOR 2, I'm confused if I'm doing somethi wrong or what, this game is crazy hard. My guy isn't causing enough damage? I have a Smuggler and they causes more damage. Help please

I'm playing as a Jedi Knight and I find this game very hard. I'm level 17 and I die anytime I start a fight with a group, silver and gold. I don't play MMO very often and I never had this problem with KOTOR or KOTOR 2, I'm confused if I'm doing somethi wrong or what, this game is crazy hard. My guy isn't causing enough damage? I have a Smuggler and they causes more damage. Help please

Well hello fellow Jedi Knight =)

I think it could be a good move to go over to the Jedi Knight -section on the forum.

Link to Jedi Knight on the SWTOR-forum

They have all done the same quests with the same companions as you. But something that I wonder, just in order to be able to help you better. How is your gear? Have you updated it? How about T7?

If you like, try to ask again on the JK-forum.

Here's a few pointers Phill:

1) the Knight (and sith side juggernaut) are one of the harder classes to get the hang of in the game. they also mature a bit later (they're skills get better at higher levels)

2) they are VERY gear dependant. so upgrading your gear to keep it current helps allot. an exampel is if your level 17, runing with a lvl 14 green weapon isn't doing you much good...upgrading to a blue lvl 17 weapon and you'll see a HUGE increase in damage.

3) They're one of the few classes that lack a solid CC (Crowd Control). an agent, as an example (sith version of the smuggler) has 2 CC's...one to stun a person when they're invisible, and another to stun droids at any time. both of them last for 60 seconds. the JK's longest stun is 5 seconds or so...so you can see the difference. trying to solo a silver and a gold at the same time is tough for most classes. the JK has an even harder time. plus you wont get your healing companion until higher levels (mid 30's). the sith juggernaut has it a bit easier as they get their healer around lvl 20. But once you get your healing companion, it helps a ton.

the best thing you can do is keep your gear (and your droids gear) updated as much as possible. crafting helps a ton here...id go with either artifice or cybertech. this will allow you to keep yoru gear upgraded as you level. artifice gives you hilts for your lightsabers too, which makes it a plus IMO.

also make sure you are approaching each fight thinking first. if you just jump in the middle and start swinging, especially at lower levels, you will get pigpiled. send in your companion first (I prefer the droid for this, though Kira can work as well. let them get aggro on one or two mobs, then pick one to attack yourself (leap to it if you need to), and once its down, move on to the next one. your companion may die a bit more often initially, but they don't have nasty repair bills to worry about!

also learn how to maximize your skill use. don't wast a big damage skill on a mob thats at 4% life. finish him off with a basic attack, and then spend the big ones on the next mob. learn how to down mobs quick....if you are fighting a group of normals and one silver as an example, let your companion tank the silver, and kill the normal mobs first. you'd be surprised at how much damage they put out, especially in numbers. use smash to knock them down, and hilt strike a weak to kill it right away. things like that. the JK/Jugg is a very active class, and you need to be aware of whats going on at all times. Hulk smash simply don't work.

this may sounds like allot, but the class is a blast to play. have 2 juggernauts at 50, adn a JK on the way as well. if you like how it plays, stick to it. it gets better. but it isn't a faceroll class. I get bored on a few of my other toons when I play them now...my Jugg is just more interesting to play then most. But if you can't get into the class, it's not a loss. there's plenty of different classes and ACs in this game to try out. I actually put off my knight initially until a bit later. it felt odd that first time. but after playing the game for a bit, i went back to it (via my jugg), and im glad i did. fun class.

Edited by Elyx

Welcome to the game!

If I understand your opening statement, you're starting fights with groups of opponents that have Strong (silver) and Elite or Champion (gold) on their portraits. If those Strong and Elite targets are the same level as you, and you're trying to tackle them alone, you're in for a bruising. It sounds like you're trying to solo some game content that is meant for a group, possibly in a Heroic area.

Are you trying to do a Heroic mission by yourself? Those missions will have a recommended group size (Heroic [2+] or Heroic [4+]) in their name. A good way to find groups of players who are looking to do the same Heroic mission is to ask in planetary chat. You can also size up opponents by left-clicking them before you start a fight, then mousing over their portrait to read how much health they have.

Please don't take offense if this sounds like stuff you figured out on day one; you mentioned being new, and we'd be negligent if we didn't assume you were starting at square one with this sort of thing. I do hope that this gets ironed out and ceases to be a source of frustration. If there's any more information you can provide as to the situations you're having difficulty in, let us know. One of the unique things about the current state of the game is that everyone here wants to be here, and it can be a surprisingly friendly community for that.

Whatever you do if you see a Gold all by himself in a weird spot on the map turn around and RUN!!!! because more than likely you just ran into a RANKED CHAMPION BOSS:eek:. These guy are SERIOUS AND WILL KILL YOU!!! They are scattered through out the planets and they are NO JOKE. But there LOOT IS GREAT.......USUALLY.

I made this mistake :( - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4917521#post4917521

First off, Welcome to the game!!!!

Second, in the world of MMOs there is a bit of a learning curve, so don't be discouraged.

The Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior are a little harder to grasp in concept than other characters. Troopers initially are straight forward, although later on all their weapon systems can get a bit overwhelming. But it can help you get some of the basic mechanics down.

The posts here have had good advice. First advice I can give you is to keyboard bind your powers, and learn the rotation of when to press these keys for maximum effect.

Second advice, don't be afraid to ask for help when playing. Many players will be thrilled to help and give advice, and many times if you see them in action and the rotations they use, it will become clearer on how to play.

Also, as suggested above, do a bit of study out of game. And above all, relax and fun in the game.