BW's first big mistake - the Era.

DPCummerbund

Some really good lore is built around this time period. One of the greatest Star Wars characters in all lore is Chiss (Grand Admiral Thrawn).

Vitiate most assurdely trumps Palpatine when it comes to level of ******ness.

This time period has the Mandalorians, which are awesome.

The EU is some of the best lore in the Star Wars universe. You should really branch out.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I see nothing wrong with the era of the old republic. Im a early 90s kid, my dad is a huge SW fan, he was the one who made me watch the OT, then as the PT came out, I grew up watching those. I never touched a SW comic or book, and the only SW games Ive played are rogue squadron, battlefront, and force unleashed. Ive ever ONLY known the era depicted in the films. I only discovered what BBY refers to after playing TOR. I am the kind of person OP is referring to when he says people who have no knowledge of the EU would not like the unfamiliarity of the era. Ive never played KOTOR, and you know what? I want to. I like the era this game takes place in. Its interesting, its unknown, and it shows me far more of this galaxy far far away then the films ever did. just like OP, I had never heard of Taris, Nar Shadaa, Voss (I later read on these forums that before TOR, Voss only existed in a passing reference in one comic), and many other planets. I find it interesting to learn more about this era as I play. There were a lot of mistakes made in this game, but the era was not one of them.

So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.

I'm going to give you one reason and expand on that one reason why the ABY Era would not of worked.

In the Movies how many Jedi's and Sith do you see?

Throughout the Movies you see, Vader, Tyranus, Maul, Sidious on the Empire side; Windu, Yoda, Luke, and a few other Masters that really aren't important to the story.

To make a game where there are THOUSANDS of Jedi and Sith without breaking Lore, it could not of been set in the era, therefore The Old Republic Era is a brilliant time to be set.

That is something you cannot argue with

So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.

1) Malgus is a key-part of the story line to this game. They already made a game with vader, and it was fun. But now it's gone. Malgus is essentially a poster-boy with a huge part in the story.

2) While I agree I've never heard of Belsavis before this game, I've heard lots about Nar Shaddaa and Taris. Nar Shaddaa is pretty legendary because it's in a LOT of EU, and Taris is famous because it appeared in KOTOR.

3) Thrawn was a Chiss. Purebloods are evolutionized Massassi. Visas Marr was a Miraluka.

4) Revan is famous for being the canon character for KOTOR. He's also one of the most powerful Force-users of all time. He learned both sides of the Force