Duo with a Merc

PepinoCantador

Asked this originally in the Agent forum, then realized I might as well broaden my horizons a little bit.

My friend plays a DPS Merc. He MIGHT be willing to go PT instead, in which case I'd just be a healing OP, which settles that. However, in lieu of trying to get him to reroll, I'd like to get an idea of the best option for a duo for a DPS Merc, particularly in PvP.

My thoughts:

Sniper (help him blow stuff up)

Healer OP (run around and heal him, but this seems less than optimal since he's missing all of that fancy defensive type stuff)

Healer/DPS/Hybrid Sorc (seem to have good utility, but I've heard healing can be trying as a sorc in WZs)

I guess another obvious choice would be a Marauder, but I've already done the warrior class to 50 once as a Jugg, think I'd rather do something different. I don't see much point in playing another BH, especially since we'll be doing the PvE stuff together.

So besides any specific AC suggestions, I guess it boils down to: Heal him, or help him blow stuff up?

Thanks! :D

Sniper. Not an easy AC to play but it has a lot of synergy with arsenal merc's armor debuffs. Plus if you get very good he can respec heals and the two of you can really wreck face.

Go be his pocket healer. The greatest concern with pyro DPS merc is surivability. If a melee gets on you, very difficult to get away. With a healer keeping you going, you can still do a tremendous amount of damage close up.

Totally opposite points, but both good ones! In both cases it seems like 1 of the people healing ends up being more beneficial overall, and I guess going the healer route has the added benefit of helping everyone in the WZ, rather than just us; I mean, obviously I wouldn't go into a WZ and ignore everyone else's health to just focus on his, LOL. :)

I take it the Sorc in any capacity wouldn't be as effective overall as either of the 2 Agent ACs? Bear in mind that I'm not as concerned with something being out of favor or FOTM... The nerf/buff wheel always keeps on turnin'. :p

Edited by PepinoCantador

If you run around warzones / capture objectives together ... two pyrotechs is about as good as it gets.

That is easy. PT pyro with Merc pyro is the best combo.

I've been reading that, but it seems not only really FOTM-ish, but I'd rather avoid gearing / story issues while engaging in PvE content anyway. :p

I've been reading that, but it seems not only really FOTM-ish, but I'd rather avoid gearing / story issues while engaging in PvE content anyway. :p

• Who gives a poop if people believe you're a FOTM. There is a reason FOTM's exist ... the classes are better.
  • It's better to be the same class in flashpoints; greater chance to drop > greater chance to win if dropped.
  • GTN gear > gear obtained during quests.
  • There are no story issues.

• Who gives a poop if people believe you're a FOTM. There is a reason FOTM's exist ... the classes are better.
  • It's better to be the same class in flashpoints; greater chance to drop > greater chance to win if dropped.
  • GTN gear > gear obtained during quests.
  • There are no story issues.

Having more of the same class increases the chances of that classes' gear dropping? I had no idea, I thought it was a random is random kind of thing.

On the story issues, I thought if you were the same base class, you couldn't enter each other's same step story instances? It always stuck us in different instances of the same place... Is there a way around that?

Merc and Sniper could work well together. For instance, in Civil War if you try to sneak up the ramps at mid, and get a nice "hiding spot" you 2 can basically be deadly turrets. Mercs can be deadly, but need to be left alone. Kind of like Snipers. In my experience anyways

I run a Merc Pyro (prolly should have gone PT Pyro hind-site) and I run with both a PT Pyro or an Conceal Op. Good synergy on between the Pyro classes. That poster above is right. However, I love running with the Conceal Operative better and we melt face faster. Con Op is a true "pocket" ally. People always see you as a lone merc, easy kill, (light to moth) and you draw them in then....BAM! Face plant, knife, knife, fire, fire = dead. Before they can stand up. So my suggestion is Pyro (you decide, prolly PT) and Con Op. Edited by Baarabas