WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

Yeah but Diablo III is still the number 1 selling PC game globally and has been since release.

Even if that stuff is true, which is debatable at best (except for the "Blizzard nerfs stuff to make people buy more", that's just a lie), he's ignoring the fact that items are sold by players, not Blizzard.

edit: Not the best-selling game thing, the "Blizz lies and cheats and allows dupes and botters" thing.

Edited by leathfuil

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof that they are mostly china players or never happened.

I said asia, not china.

Anyone currently playing World of Warcraft is aware of the deep lull that is currently afflicting the game. Today's Activision Blizzard investor call provides numerical evidence of this: World of Warcraft has shed another 1.1 million subscribers since the 10.2 million total subscribers it claimed earlier this year (and as recently as May), bringing the total number of subscribers down to 9.1 million.

Considering we're sitting at the very end of Cataclysm's life cycle and Mists of Pandaria has not yet launched, it shouldn't surprise anyone to see this drop in active subscriptions. Players are going to cancel their subscriptions when there is no content left to explore -- that's an inevitability. The investor call following the release of Mists is what will provide a true indicator of the health of the game. Will a new release recover a portion of the lost subscribers, or are those who have canceled gone for good?

About the expansion: http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/08/02/world-of-warcraft-currently-down-to-9-1-million-subscribers/

I'm trying to find where I read that it was asian players, but I can't find it at the moment. That doesn't negate the other facts of my post. It's the lull before the storm. An expansion is about to come out.

And I think SWTOR players should focus on SWTOR and stop worrying about other games. WoW isn't going away and there's no need to get excited over a drizzle of players leaving. Yes, 1.1M is a drizzle compared to the 9.2M they still have. Let's focus on building SWTOR up to be an epic game with huge subscribers (Read: Subs, not freeloaders).

Where did they say TOR would be a free download in November? It was my understanding that you would still have to buy a copy of the game but you just weren't required to carry a subscription.

from the faq

What is Free-to-Play?

With the Free-to-Play option, no subscription will be required! You will be able to download and play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ all the way up to level 50 for free, with gameplay restrictions that limit access to advanced features and group content. However, we will be offering the option to purchase services, items, and content to customize the gameplay experience. These purchases will be made available via the new Cartel Market and will allow you to choose the way that you want to enjoy the game.

No, you don't know what you're talking about.

LOTRO has the hybrid option too. You can either play it for free with restricted access or you can play all content if you pay sub. SWTOR is doing something similar where you can play certain things for free or you pay with a sub and play all content. Though with SWTOR I think you have to pay $15 initially.

lol...so:

"LOTRO has the hybrid option too. You can either play it for free with restricted access or you can play all content if you pay sub. SWTOR is doing something similar where you can play certain things for free or you pay with a sub and play all content.

So in LOTRO you can pay a monthly sub in return for access to everything or you can use the restricted f2p option.

In SWTOR you can pay a monthly sub in return access to everything or you can use the restricted f2p option.

Thanks for clarifying...there is no difference, just semantics.

Driz

Where did they say TOR would be a free download in November? It was my understanding that you would still have to buy a copy of the game but you just weren't required to carry a subscription.

The fact they use the term "Free to play" means the box will be free. Free means costs no money. If it costs money for the box, it can't be free. That makes it Buy to Play like Guild Wars.

I said asia, not china.

About the expansion: http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/08/02/world-of-warcraft-currently-down-to-9-1-million-subscribers/

I'm trying to find where I read that it was asian players, but I can't find it at the moment. That doesn't negate the other facts of my post. It's the lull before the storm. An expansion is about to come out.

And I think SWTOR players should focus on SWTOR and stop worrying about other games. WoW isn't going away and there's no need to get excited over a drizzle of players leaving. Yes, 1.1M is a drizzle compared to the 9.2M they still have. Let's focus on building SWTOR up to be an epic game with huge subscribers (Read: Subs, not freeloaders).

Yes and i said how many of the east are actual subscribers --

As most of you know, China uses a different WoW subscription model then the rest of the world. They pay by the hour using game cards (that can be recharged) and they only pay for what they play.

In China, WoW can be downloaded for free and WoW gamecards can be bought virtually anywhere - game stores, online, 7 Eleven, corner stores, etc. 30 yuan will buy you 4000 minutes of gametime and 15 yuan will buy you 2000 minutes of gametime. That's $0.06 per hour played.

(If adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) however, that's about equivalent to $0.24 per hour in the US.)

For that same amount (30 yuan), that can also buy you approximately 2000G. So, it's very common for players to sell their gold to purchase WoW hourly subscriptions, but I'll talk more on that later.

Although Korea and Taiwan are in East Asia, they pay monthly based subscriptions just like NA and Europe. Although, Koreans also have an added pay-by-the-day option ($1.65 per day vs $8 per month) for Starcraft 2 or they can play for free if they have a WoW Subscription. =]

http://daeity.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/world-of-warcraft-china-interesting_17.html

Edited by Shingara

The fact they use the term "Free to play" means the box will be free. Free means costs no money. If it costs money for the box, it can't be free. That makes it Buy to Play like Guild Wars.

Am I detecting a bit of jerk here?

DarthRik, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Edited by Varteras

Yes and i said how many of the east are actual subscribers --

http://daeity.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/world-of-warcraft-china-interesting_17.html

Regardless, talking about the west (NA, Australia, UK), it's the lull before the storm. I predict a 1.5M increase at least next month. It happened in Wrath, Cata and now MOP.

... They need a new abbreviation. MOP. Really?

Let's focus on building SWTOR up to be an epic game with huge subscribers (Read: Subs, not freeloaders).

Will never happend once MMOS get bad reputation on start they cant recover (look AOC as example ) .

Edited by Lunablade

your point is?

there still paying account holders, so come under the 9.1 million paying players

My point is that russia and australia are east but counted as west. The fact is that if you lose those they come from the 4.6 mil actual full subs numbers which was last rolled around at closer to 2 mil full paying, that if 40 of the EAST counts for the same as 1 of the full paying then that there is alot to loose.

Am I detecting a bit of jerk here?.

No. I think that's a little rude.

The game is going free to play. The kind of game where you can sign up and log in without spending a cent.

Buy to play means exactly that. You buy the box but spend no more money after that.

Bioware used the term Free to play.

Will never happend once MMOS get bad reputation on start they cant recover (look AOC as example ) .

Did AoC ever fix why it got that bad reputation?

Not that I think EA will or maybe even can do that with SWTOR, but I don't think AoC is awesome now but still riding its launch reputation so I don't think your point is entirely valid.

No. I think that's a little rude.

The game is going free to play. The kind of game where you can sign up and log in without spending a cent.

Buy to play means exactly that. You buy the box but spend no more money after that.

Bioware used the term Free to play.

I was referring to "free means costs no money". I took that as you being rude.

I was referring to "free means costs no money". I took that as you being rude.

Oh! No. I wasn't using sarcasm or treating anyone here like a child. I'm trying to explain my point in the simplist way possible considering it's late at night here :p No offense was intended.

My point is that russia and australia are east but counted as west. The fact is that if you lose those they come from the 4.6 mil actual full subs numbers which was last rolled around at closer to 2 mil full paying, that if 40 of the EAST counts for the same as 1 of the full paying then that there is alot to loose.

you still have not linked were its says there is only 4.6 million full subs?

and it doesnt say 9.1 million full subs its says

subscriber base for World of Warcraft was 9.1 million

Oh! No. I wasn't using sarcasm or treating anyone here like a child. I'm trying to explain my point in the simplist way possible considering it's late at night here :p No offense was intended.

Ahhh okay! Gotcha. It's all good then. :)

Did AoC ever fix why it got that bad reputation?

Not that I think EA will or maybe even can do that with SWTOR, but I don't think AoC is awesome now but still riding its launch reputation so I don't think your point is entirely valid.

What I meaned is not that Funcom havent fixed some of the problems which where in the game on launch , but usually when MMOS lose a lot of subs once they have been launched in unfinished state and get bad reputation because of it they hardly regain good number of subs again .

Edited by Lunablade

You did fine too. Some here are bit too sensitive is all. ;)

Kinda puts things in perspective.:D

Previous Subscription Losses

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost

Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost

Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

Q4 2011 - 100,000 subscribers lost.

Q1 2012 - 0 subscribers lost. <------

Q2 2012 - 1,100,000 subscribers lost.

Not sure if its been mentioned before but I read somewhere they said a lot of those subs are on Diablo 3 waiting for the next expansion, AND a big majority of those subs lost are from the East.

Not too bad any way you look at it.

No, we don't. That link you posted is very specific on what content subscribers will be granted without having to pay additional cost. It does not say "all future content." It says "Unlimited access to regular Game Updates such as new Nightmare Mode content, a brand new Operation on the planet of Asation, a new Heroic mission series on the prison planet of Belsavis, and a brand new Warzone for our PvP lovers." They want to charge you for content, they just won't call it a regular Game Update.

You know. Sort of like LotRO.

you still have not linked were its says there is only 4.6 million full subs?

and it doesnt say 9.1 million full subs its says

subscriber base for World of Warcraft was 9.1 million

Maybe you could explain to me what he was trying to say. Because I have no idea. It looks like he's trying to magic the math so that WoW has fewer subscribers than TOR, but that can't be it... can it?