WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point in advertising that your game has 9M or whatever players? It's to say "look at all the people you can play with!" But if 6M of those 9M are actually Asian subs which play on Asian servers and not on servers you even have ACCESS to then saying "you can play with 9M people" is a lie, because you can't.

It is also a misrepresentation of profit to potential investors. If I tell you "subs went up by 10%" as an investor at face value you would expect profits to increase by 10% (unless of course costs went up as well or whatever). Generally you would not expect revenue to drop by 40%.

It is also a misrepresentation of popularity in that a good portion of those 9M players are actually bots.

No matter how you slice it, WoW pads their numbers in an attempt to hook you into playing their game which is false advertising.

I'm pretty sure investors know this, and if they don't, they're not very good investors.

As far as I know there never has been an advert saying 'you can play with 9 million others', they said ' 9/10 million are playing it, why don;t you?'.

You can't even play with that many people on one server so that would make no sense.

And that last claim, a good portion is bots? Do you have a source for that or are you one of many shouting that from the 'it's cool to bash wow' club.

Yes, that WOW sucks and killing itself.

Yup, 8 months sofar of dragonsoul?

I got completely bored of it exactly 1 month after it was released.

It was to easy, and got nerfed for the derps to run it too.

They shoulda had 2 more patches by now.

You cannot guarantee that, so it's best not to pretend as though you can. The statement is vague at best.

I don't know which statement you are referring to but paid subs in TOR get all the content updates without an extra cost. This was already in the Q&A.

If there is an official "expansion pack" to the game, no one knows how that will work as the idea doesn't even exist yet as far as development goes. They haven't mentioned anything about expansion packs outside that marketing survey.

I don't know which statement you are referring to but paid subs in TOR get all the content updates without an extra cost. This was already in the Q&A.

If there is an official "expansion pack" to the game, no one knows how that will work as the idea doesn't even exist yet as far as development goes. They haven't mentioned anything about expansion packs outside that marketing survey.

Get all the regular content updates without an extra cost.

One of the hallmarks of the f2p system is that companies play fast and loose with the definition of words like "regular".

Lies. Lies I say. You don't know women. You're on a forum for an MMO. :p

What reports ? I don't see any clear calculations of WoW subs numbers per zone in any investor report.

Besides, it's not fudging number to say that ''9 million people are playing our game'' when 9 million do and you do report IN THE SAME DOCUMENT the amount of cash it bring in.

No, paid subs in TOR get (as they say at the moment, anyway) all regular Game Updates. As I said, the second they want to circumvent that, they release content classified as...well, anything else.

I know, I know. EA would never do that. It's not like they cut content from single-player games to sell as Day One DLC or anything, right?

I'm pretty sure investors know this, and if they don't, they're not very good investors.

As far as I know there never has been an advert saying 'you can play with 9 million others', they said ' 9/10 million are playing it, why don;t you?'.

You can't even play with that many people on one server so that would make no sense.

And that last claim, a good portion is bots? Do you have a source for that or are you one of many shouting that from the 'it's cool to bash wow' club.

Hey, at least in WoW, you can play with people in US or Europe....

No, paid subs in TOR get (as they say at the moment, anyway) all regular Game Updates. As I said, the second they want to circumvent that, they release content classified as...well, anything else.

I know, I know. EA would never do that. It's not like they cut content from single-player games to sell as Day One DLC or anything, right?

And the second they try that everyone drops from subs and just pays for what they want, whats your point.

So that would be more then. thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Well yeah. But I was surprised it was such a small difference. I mean in the past several have claimed like 60+% of thier subs came from the east. That chart shows it not to be true. :cool:

Well yeah. But I was surprised it was such a small difference. I mean in the past several have claimed like 60+% of thier subs came from the east. That chart shows it not to be true. :cool:

5.1 mil and 6.4 mil and you think whats the % again.

Considering India and China alone constitute about 40% of the world's population, that's not at all surprising.

It's also completely and totally irrelevant to anything.

When 1 lot pay $15 a month and the others pay $0.06 an hour it does make quite a big difference.

This is ridiculous

You can check the report.

June 2010 : Blizzard report a 289 millons revenues for 3 months under the MMORPG tab.

June 2011 and June 2012 : Blizzard report respectively 423 and 323 millions from digital channels (IE subs and DLCs)

So

A)It's pretty hard to tell if online income was slashed from 2010 to 2011, since they changed the wait of reporting it. (It's certainly not ''lying'', those revenues were put with PS3 and X360 before)

B)Revenues from all online sources, including DLC was slashed indeed by 24% (not 40%) between 2011 and 2012

You're not even looking at the right sections for WoW. Digital channels are not where revenues from WoW subs are located. You should be looking at Online Subscription revenue. Which was revised.

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-11-62236&CIK=718877

pg. 20

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-12-53747&CIK=718877

pg. 17

Online subscription revenue was ADJUSTED in the more recent quarterly report (meaning their original estimate was wrong compare the numbers.) between the two quarters being compared It fell from 359M to 220M which is a decrease in 37%

You're not even looking at the right section of revenue for WoW lol.

*Revenue from online subscriptions consists of revenue from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, and value-added services, and revenues from Call of Duty® Elite memberships.

And the second they try that everyone drops from subs and just pays for what they want, whats your point.

Just like they promised monthly content updates on release, and everybody dropped their sub eight months on when it was clear they were full of it?

Nah. If you're sticking through this, they know you're begging to be milked. It's how F2P works.

Just like they promised monthly content updates on release, and everybody dropped their sub eight months on when it was clear they were full of it?

Nah. If you're sticking through this, they know you're begging to be milked. It's how F2P works.

so no one should try gw2 then.

You cannot guarantee that, so it's best not to pretend as though you can. The statement is vague at best.

No one can guarantee anything, it is all speculation, you were however referring to LOTRO as the possibility of subbers paying for new content as well, which is not true. All I was saying.

No one can guarantee anything, it is all speculation, you were however referring to LOTRO as the possibility of subbers paying for new content as well, which is not true. All I was saying.

You're technically right, as LotRO had the gall to label some of their fairly minor content pushes as "expansion packs."

NO! Don't you see?

If you hate SWTOR for being f2p you should go play gw2 because it's f2p and ALSO has 1/3 the content, so there is less stuff in the game for you to hate!

Logic at it's finest. Why you don't get it, well I don't know ;)

I wouldn't recommend it, no. I certainly won't be playing it.

On the other hand, that's a bad example, as GW2 isn't trying to gouge a subscription out of you at the same time as they're trying to get you to pay for content updates.