Arsenal really the top dog?

Faulkal

Pyro looks like a ton of fun! But....I keep hearing that arsenal is the best in terms of pve dps. How close ate they really in terms of dps? Also, what utility does pyro bring over arsenal to a raid? And vice versa.

Pyro looks like a ton of fun! But....I keep hearing that arsenal is the best in terms of pve dps. How close ate they really in terms of dps? Also, what utility does pyro bring over arsenal to a raid? And vice versa.

Im no PvE pro but I will say Pyro has no way to sustain dmg. Thermal Det. is on a CD with dart...Incendiary is spammable so it doesnt stack dot's and RS can be reset only every 6 sec's via PS, or unload...both of which do less dmg in Pyro spec, than Arsenal....

Pyro can do alright in PvE Ive ran it but it suffers on Boss fights big.

Arsenal with the PvE set bonuses really never overheats and can just pour on DMG to no end....Its not number crunching but its the jist of your question.

I see the error of my ways now!

All this time clearing HM EC as a pyro and dummy parsing between 1700-1800dps sustained damage I never knew it was so useless...

I shall respec to Arsenal this moment and forget all about the legend of the viable mercenary pyro.

But wait, that means I have to give up my crazy burst damage with no requirement to stack debuffs beforehand.

And I'll have to sit on my *** casting more because Arsenal casts to proc an even longer cast while Pyro casts to proc an instant attack, hmm, thought I could move about more than the Arsenal Merc that raids with me.

And yes, I almost forgot, because I don't already have an armour debuff I benefit from my buddies armour debuff which increases my damage in a raid. If I respec Arsenal I don't benefit at all in a raid from more armour debuffs.

What Shall I Do?

Edited by Gyronamics

All this time clearing HM EC as a pyro and dummy parsing between 1700-1800dps sustained damage I never knew it was so useless...

I shall respec to Arsenal this moment and forget all about the legend of the viable mercenary pyro.

But wait, that means I have to give up my crazy burst damage with no requirement to stack debuffs beforehand.

And I'll have to sit on my *** casting more because Arsenal casts to proc an even longer cast while Pyro casts to proc an instant attack, hmm, thought I could move about more than the Arsenal Merc that raids with me.

And yes, I almost forgot, because I don't already have an armour debuff I benefit from my buddies armour debuff which increases my damage in a raid. If I respec Arsenal I don't benefit at all in a raid from more armour debuffs.

What Shall I Do?

Haha!

Pyro can do just fine...Like I said I have run the spec in PvE and done fine...Mobility is definately a bit better for sure... Thing about PvE in this game is Mobility has never been a problem for me in Arse since part of our rotation can be cast on the run...if you know the encounter you can time everything easily.

Its a matter of preference and I dont think either truly outshines the other to be honest...

Its kind oif a lame answer but I suggest you try both while your acquiring your first teir and see which you like before you really start tweaking stats...AKA before you buy Black hole gear etc...

People will always have a preference that they will defend so its really hard to get a clear view unless a number cruncher comes in this thread and somehow shows a large advantage to one or the other...

What Shall I Do?

what shall you do ??

respec arsenal of course .. :p

its negligable tbh atm i am parsing 1800+ on dummy as arsenal, i guess its down to the playstyle you prefer

What Shall I Do?

Arsenal in PvE. There is no question they put out more DPS in PvE. Hell, if left alone, in PvP as well. Trust me, I run both and the numbers all the time, Full War Hero, Full Rakata/BH mix.

I go arsenal for both PvP and PvE. Don't be mislead by all the comments that 'pyro is for pvp', it is if your running ranked and your guild does'nt have the means to replace you by a PT pyrotech.

Pyro merc has very limited burst, and still requires you to use power shot to maximize RS procs. So truth be told you will still be planting to maximize this spec in PvP.

Pyro affords you the ability to kite with your auto shot, but the numbers overall are very lack luster. It's more like your tickling with pyro than anything, especially if they have armor. Arsenal it does'nt matter who you are against due the enourmous armor pen, you can get solid numbers on anyone. Unload in arsenal will be your bread and butter, it does very very good damage now with the recent fix.

Go arsenal and learn to position yourself, and not try and solo people and you will be happy. Yes you will get shut down in PuG PvP everyonce in a while, but the times when your unloading on people with be in the majority.

i'm a pyro merc for operations and beat arsenals in my guild yes they are geared as me,whoever says pyro cant keep up with arsenal has either never tried it or is bad.. the other night on hm kephess i had 1500 dps at the end of the fight like 730k damage.. Edited by Ashwinn

i'm a pyro merc for operations and beat arsenals in my guild yes they are geared as me,whoever says pyro cant keep up with arsenal has either never tried it or is bad.. the other night on hm kephess i had 1500 dps at the end of the fight like 730k damage..

Just because you beat Mercenaries in YOUR guild doesn't mean they were performing up to standard. 1500 DPS on Kephess as a Pyro Merc isn't that exemplary for one reason: Pyro is absurd at doing AoE. An entire phase for Kephess is based around AoE, that is why Sorcs excel on that fight.

Try using a fight such as Firebrand and Stormcaller to compare. I do ~1850 on Firebrand and Stormcaller, which I'm sure your Arsenal Mercs are not doing, thus comparing them to yourself isn't the best route to go.

Just because you beat Mercenaries in YOUR guild doesn't mean they were performing up to standard. 1500 DPS on Kephess as a Pyro Merc isn't that exemplary for one reason: Pyro is absurd at doing AoE. An entire phase for Kephess is based around AoE, that is why Sorcs excel on that fight.

Try using a fight such as Firebrand and Stormcaller to compare. I do ~1850 on Firebrand and Stormcaller, which I'm sure your Arsenal Mercs are not doing, thus comparing them to yourself isn't the best route to go.

lol i top dmg on that fight while being on the ground i havent checked what the arsenals do on that fight.. ill check next time..

I go arsenal for both PvP and PvE. Don't be mislead by all the comments that 'pyro is for pvp', it is if your running ranked and your guild does'nt have the means to replace you by a PT pyrotech.

Pyro merc has very limited burst, and still requires you to use power shot to maximize RS procs. So truth be told you will still be planting to maximize this spec in PvP.

Pyro affords you the ability to kite with your auto shot, but the numbers overall are very lack luster. It's more like your tickling with pyro than anything, especially if they have armor. Arsenal it does'nt matter who you are against due the enourmous armor pen, you can get solid numbers on anyone. Unload in arsenal will be your bread and butter, it does very very good damage now with the recent fix.

Go arsenal and learn to position yourself, and not try and solo people and you will be happy. Yes you will get shut down in PuG PvP everyonce in a while, but the times when your unloading on people with be in the majority.

I agree with everything you say. U get the TM debuffs -> RS -> HSM-> (dead or unload)- > really dead

unload ticks like a *********** truck while IM as a pyro just tickles people all day. I can hit 600K + as pyro but arsenal not that high...but i can 1v1 alot better cuz arsenal burst is pretty good if u got the gear. People who qq about mercs just dont got the gear or dont know how to position themselves correctly.

I agree with everything you say. U get the TM debuffs -> RS -> HSM-> (dead or unload)- > really dead

unload ticks like a *********** truck while IM as a pyro just tickles people all day. I can hit 600K + as pyro but arsenal not that high...but i can 1v1 alot better cuz arsenal burst is pretty good if u got the gear. People who qq about mercs just dont got the gear or dont know how to position themselves correctly.

Or don't know the spec they're talking about :eek:

TM debuffs require two or three TM on the target which is 3-4.5s before you can (as you say) use a RS (another 1.5s), a HSM (another 1.5s) and even an unload (3s!)

Well, that's one longass attack. Quite a lot of delay between hits too, anyone not responding in 8 seconds to such slow punching has it coming.

About this IM you think tickles... Of course it does. It's not a killer, you might as well say the 20% tracer debuff on someone doesn't increase damage all that much when you already have 35-65% on them to start with.

But that's 15 seconds in which someone is on fire.

Here's how to get their attention now.

1) Thermal Detonator

2) Powershot

2.5) Another Powershot if they're not paying attention

3) Railshot

That all goes off within 1 second. 2 seconds if you double stack the Powershots. Everything is fully buffed and there's no warning damage because everyone knows... IR just tickles... On fire? Whatever, doesn't hurt... ;)

Hey presto, target at major health disadvantage.

Now while they're still on fire and wondering how they just got hit so hard so fast, roll into an unload and a rapid shots to get a second DoT (and a 6 seconds slow) up on them.

Edited by Gyronamics

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.