Harassment in video gaming

NgeneR

Found this while reading the news this morning and thought I'd post it as a conversation starter. Just for myself, as a female gamer, I've seen little harassment in SWTOR. In that other game, with the name no one is allowed to mention on these boards, I saw a lot of trouble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/us/sexual-harassment-in-online-gaming-stirs-anger.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120802

I'm with you in that I've never had a problem in SWTOR. The several guilds I've been in have been nothing but respectful to me.

If anything, one of my complaints is that it seems like sometimes, guys are TOO nice to female gamers. It's like they're paranoid about scaring them off or hurting their feelings. My main character is a dude, partially because when I first started playing and PUG'd, I wanted to be yelled at in case I made noob mistakes, and take constructive criticism. I would rather have someone trash talk me than "patronize" me. I don't want to second-guess about what someone really thinks, you know?

Edited by Stenrik

I saw a female gamer forced out of SWG by a stalker who wouldn't leave her alone. Its not all that uncommon.

Its also not often but some harrassment is self-inflicted. A female BF3 player who posts on Youtube got caught cheating. She received quite a bit of harrassment. Levelup has also mentioned well-known BF3 cheaters in their videos as well.

Edited by Larishet

I saw a female gamer forced out of SWG by a stalker who wouldn't leave her alone. Its not all that uncommon.

That is very, very unfortunate. Wouldn't the SWG folks have helped her though? No ability to "ignore"?

You know what would be interesting; an option to fully ignore another character. In that you don't even see them. I'd never make use of it but that would do much to solve bullying issues. And the administrators could keep track of the number of ignores on a character. Might be a helpful rubric to determine if someone should be approached or banned...

Just a crazy stupid idea, sorry.

Its also not often but some harrassment is self-inflicted.

Where is this going...

A female BF3 player who posts on Youtube got caught cheating. She received quite a bit of harrassment. Levelup has also mentioned well-known BF3 cheaters in their videos as well.

PHHHEEWWW!!!! Sorry ;). Well, I think if a player cheats and people call them on it is not exactly harassment, is it? I guess depending on what they are writing to her.

- Arcada