Where Did You Get That Hat

parmie

I began my adventure as any average human being, trying to earn a crust. Some ‘authorities’ might have frowned on occasion at a few of the items I would obtain and transport to the more colourful characters around the galaxy, and it was on one such delivery to Ord Mantell that things really got interesting.

My career took many twists and turns, including dangerous missions on behalf of the Republic to places such as Hammer Station and Taral V. It was in one such place I found a new hat, it was much like a pilot’s cap, close fitting and included a strange face mask, hiding most of my face.

This hat was really good, making me feel strong and I think even improving my skills with my blasters. However, in one of my frequent visits to Carrick Station, I’d observed one of the merchants, who for some reason would never speak to me (something about not being special enough I have been told), who had a wide brimmed hat that I greatly liked the look of.

‘How do I get one of those?’ I asked myself, and through my continuing adventures, I obtained such a hat from the corpse of one of the many creatures I have ended the existence of, I could even fit my special modifications to it, I was happy.

In those days, I was only one of a few people in the Republic to own such a hat, often other ‘traders’, apparently following a suspiciously similar career to myself, asked where they could also obtain such a hat, even the occasional Jedi Knight would declare an intention to get a similar hat, to these I would laugh, for some reason, Jedi Knights' heads would never fit my hat.

Eventually, I saved the Republic, killed a very ugly bald guy by throwing him off a ledge on his ship (not impressed with the Empire’s health and safety protocols) and generally felt as if I finished what I had started.

It was then that I discovered that some of the people I’d killed previously had returned from the dead and were that much more dangerous. On my many revisits to these places, I found another really good wide brimmed hat, less impressively, my previous suit had been replaced by one with a long flappy cloak.

About this time, I looked at my fellow Republics, all of whom are apparently planning are next attack on the Empire (although we haven’t done anything about the Empire for a while now), wide brimmed hats were commonplace, no one asked where I got my hat any more.

Over the latter stage of my ongoing battles with various nefarious characters who refuse to stay dead, I had found myself frequently with the same people. One day they said to me ‘you shoot stuff really good, we’d like you to join our club’. I liked these people and agreed, they also seemed very determined to get their own really good hats, although they weren’t wide brimmed like mine.

There were other people in their club, all wanting really nice hats, after a while, we took several people with us to places called Karragga’s Palace and the Eternity Vault. Evidently, I was also able to refuse to stay dead, and eventually I got a very good hat, made by a species called Rakata, they look strange and don’t seem to suit wearing my hat, but they do make really good wide brimmed hats. Many other people were envious of my new hat.

However, my hat no longer made me happy. Many people had the same hats and they looked like me, I looked like them.

Then came some news over the galactic channels, some hats which you could buy from the cantinas in planets around the galaxy would now fit my head. I could make it as good as my wide brimmed hat.

The choice was somewhat limited by how much I liked to talk to other people, I had talked to other people somewhat but not a great deal, but this suited me, I wanted to look different again and travelled to Tatooine. This hat looked really different and it even changed my voice. I bought it and the other pieces of the ensemble.

I am now a Sand Person, I have not seen any other Sand People offworld from Tatooine, I am happy.

Being happy costs money, I continue with ‘my shooting things until they are dead’ career and after many dead things, bought myself an even better wide brimmed hat, this new hat will make it easier to kill the Kephess person again, I have refused to stay dead more often than he has so our club wants to redress the scorecard.

I don’t want to wear that wide brimmed hat any more though so I need to make my new Sand Person hat even better, some voice from the ether asks me for 90,000 credits to transfer the nice things in the wide brimmed hat to my Sand Person hat, that’s a lot of money to a small tribal nation in the Outer Rim.

My good friend, although I’ve never seen him, the Jedi Consular, ran away from the Jedi order when they tried to make him wear some very strange looking things, he decided to join the Republic Fleet and looks very nice in his Pilot’s outfit, but he tells me the same voice also demands mountains of credits when he gets his new hats…..

Hah, loved the writing style. How you described the "game terms" we take for granted made me smile. Also enjoyed since my main character is a smuggler and I have a similar story to your own. :)

And like almost all literature, there is a moral/theme: We should have more choice/ability to be unique, and shouldn't be penalized so much for changing our look.

Edited by Stenrik