PvE Veng Jugg - PWR or STR?

Quirce

All in the title.

Has there been any theory crafting done on what is better?

Is there a soft cap on either?

If you give an answer please provide a reference.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-364.html

Power derived from strength, and power itself, are both unaffected by any DR. They're linear improvements to damage both. Strength also gives a certain amount of crit per point, that IS affected by by DR, but it's virtually impossible to reach levels of strength that will be significantly affected by DR with current itemization.

Also, these formulae do not account for skills or buffs, so remember to factor in your +6% strength talent, and the extra 5% to strength you'll get from the Inquisitor buff.

Edited by Canis_Anubis

Good thing i save my answers. I must have wrote this a good 10 times so far:

I have built an optimized gear profile as of patch 1.3 as well as the most efficient way to do it. Before I give it up, I also want to give the results of a long lasting debate between Power and Strength augments:

Profile with Power Augments:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/b5fffaa5-7494-41cb-ab6a-76258a82a6f0

Here is a quick summary of the stats:

Strength = 1502.9

Power = 1284.0

Damage Melee = 949.7 – 1111.7

Accuracy Melee = 96.34%

Critical Chance Melee = 23.43%

Critical Multiplier Melee = 77.95%

Bonus Damage Force = 1025.5

Accuracy Force = 106.34%

Critical Chance Force = 30.60%

Critical Multiplier Force = 107.95%

Health = 18973.4

Expertise = 1211

Profile with Strength Augments:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/45beb788-5a88-4da2-917a-2d7fd8025578

Here is a quick summary of the stats:

Strength = 1782.7

Power = 1032.0

Damage Melee = 947.6 – 1109.6

Accuracy Melee = 96.34%

Critical Chance Melee = 24.89%

Critical Multiplier Melee = 77.95%

Bonus Damage Force = 1023.2

Accuracy Force = 106.34%

Critical Chance Force = 32.06%

Critical Multiplier Force = 107.95%

Health = 18973.4

Expertise = 1211

Bottom line, the difference between the two profiles is quite simple. Compared to full power augments, the full strength augments will provide the player with a total damage loss of 2.1 (Which is very minimal) but nets a gain of 1.46% in Crit. Earlier I did say we could sacrifice Crit, but 2.1 total damage vs 1.46% Crit is a big tradeoff. As of patch 1.3, full strength augments are still better. Here is why:

1 Strength = + 0.2 Damage and + 0.03% Crit

1 power = + 0.23 Damage.

Buffs that modify our strength:

1 strength = 1 * (1 + 0.05(Buff) +0.06(Talent)) = 1.11

1.11 * 0.2 Damage= 0.222 Damage

This is the reason why the difference in Damage is so minimal while benefitting from a nice Crit increase. Also the Crit gained from strength is on a different diminishing return curve than Crit rating itself which turns out to be another advantage.

Good thing i save my answers. I must have wrote this a good 10 times so far:

Well, your answer really didn't help me. I'm pretty sure i said PVE, and you linked me all PVP profiles.

In PVE your base crit needs to be 30%. Once you reach that crit from STR has insane diminishing returns (so i've heard).

My question still stands which is better?

Is STR better before you have 30%? Changing to PWR after you reach that mark?

Edited by Quirce

Well, your answer really didn't help me. I'm pretty sure i said PVE, and you linked me all PVP profiles.

In PVE your base crit needs to be 30%. Once you reach that crit from STR has insane diminishing returns (so i've heard).

No, there are no "insane diminishing returns" for crit chance due to main stat. The diminishing returns begin at 1 main stat but they are so minimal there is no point where the diminishing returns are "insane"

When you gear up in PVE or PVP, you want to reach 30% crit unbuffed, without counting talents and the companion buff. When you reach 30% crit from gear only, you need to start remodding your crit gear for power, since you cannot remod for strength. Crit from Strength is on a less steep DR curve than Crit rating so you can continue adding it.

On a separate note, you have a dilemma between power augments and strength augments. From my calculations, Strength was still better than Power augments using a spreadsheet. This is explained in the calculations I've linked above.

The best way to understand your character's stats is to create gear profiles on Mr. Robot. Create one template with stock gear and then create different templates by modifying pieces, buffs, stats... and note the change in your global stats