Post here if you are numb.

Sungas

1. I was referring to the post you quoted, which stipulated that PvP gear is necessary in order to prevent people from needing to raid. This argument is a false dilemma as there are more than 2 scenarios.

2. "False Dilemma" is a name of a specific logical fallacy. "Logical Fallacy" is a name of an unsupportable error in logical reasoning. Neither of them are negatives, therefore, no double negative exists.

3. No. Talk much? :D

1: No he didn't. The point he made was that top PvPers would raid to get the best weapons. He's talking about doing whatever is necessary to get a competitive edge. If the best weapons were through crafting, they'd do that. If it was using real cash, they'd do that. I watched some swimming on TV last night and one of the swimmers talked about how he'd taken up rock climbing and ballet to get a competitive edge. Neither of which are required to be a good swimmer, but he believed the skills and experience he gained from them would improve his swimming. I believe he's the World Record holder for 50m back stroke.

2: It's not a false dilemma, logical fallacy, false dichotomy, see 1. He didn't suggest an either or situation ignoring other unconsidered situations. Or at least I certainly didn't pick that up from his post. Put simply, top PvPers will do whatever it takes to get a competitive edge.

3: Not enough, clearly. I'm not the one using fancy psychological references :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1: No he didn't. The point he made was that top PvPers would raid to get the best weapons. He's talking about doing whatever is necessary to get a competitive edge. If the best weapons were through crafting, they'd do that. If it was using real cash, they'd do that. I watched some swimming on TV last night and one of the swimmers talked about how he'd taken up rock climbing and ballet to get a competitive edge. Neither of which are required to be a good swimmer, but he believed the skills and experience he gained from them would improve his swimming. I believe he's the World Record holder for 50m back stroke.

2: It's not a false dilemma, logical fallacy, false dichotomy, see 1. He didn't suggest an either or situation ignoring other unconsidered situations. Or at least I certainly didn't pick that up from his post. Put simply, top PvPers will do whatever it takes to get a competitive edge.

3: Not enough, clearly. I'm not the one using fancy psychological references :)

Exactly my point. His post suggests that there are only two scenarios:

1. The best PvP weapons are available through PvP.

2. The best PvP weapons are available through alternative methods (crafting, raiding, etc.).

He ignored the 3rd scenario:

3. There are no best PvP weapons as all weapons have the same stats (or not stats at all) while in PvP.

There are probably even more scenarios as well.

He is ignoring alternate options (such as no in game edge), thus the false dilemma.

Exactly my point. His post suggests that there are only two scenarios:

1. The best PvP weapons are available through PvP.

2. The best PvP weapons are available through alternative methods (crafting, raiding, etc.).

He ignored the 3rd scenario:

3. There are no best PvP weapons as all weapons have the same stats (or not stats at all) while in PvP.

There are probably even more scenarios as well.

He is ignoring alternate options (such as no in game edge), thus the false dilemma.

Erm, doesn't 2: cover all other options (crafting, raiding, etc.).?

Wait a minute.

Wow, my trololololometer just went off the chart then broke.

Well played my man, I give up.

Edited by MoofKnight

Just to play the Devil's Advocate here, why do you all care so much about winning a non-ranked WZ? I can understand that winning equals more medals thus getting gear faster. However, if gear is truely what drives you to win, then what happens when you get the gear?

If what drives you is "winning" (as Charlie puts it) then I can also understand that. However, how many times must you win the same 3 rotation WZs before it gets mind numbingly boring?

Contrary to the popular belief, some people just play the game to have "fun". Honestly, I don't care much if we win or lose a WZ. some games, I play to win, do objectives, defend, help capture etc. Some games I just play to do as much dmg as possible, or chase that one guy the whole WZ because moments ago he just ruined my perfect play, etc.

It is not always about winning-losing.

Trying to win the warzone is fun to me. I know others' definition of fun is different. I'd never expect everyone in a wz to think the same as me so when I try to help my warzone win it isn't with the attitude of "I'm doing it right and others are doing it wrong."

I still have lots of fun even if it's a brutal loss just by doing everything I can to help us win; a win isn't a requirement for me to have fun :) so if my post came off as me saying I have to win to have fun I apologize, because I certainly didn't mean it that way. I also apologize if my response suggested I place a large weight into gear, because again, I don't really think anyone's way of having fun,playing, or gearing is right or wrong. It's their choice and as a paying subscriber I totally respect their choice.

My bottom line is anything I do in a warzone is aimed at maximizing the amount of fun I'm having; I definitely don't think my way of fun is the same for everyone else :)

Edited by Shlamorel