Why did Bioware do this?

gunnerjoe

There is one thing that baffles me about this game and it is the fact that they spent so much money on voice acting, yet I find myself skipping through all of it because of the fact that 80% of the quests in this game are pointless kill this get that quests. I dont understand why they added voice acting in this game when only your personal story really matters. They have got to find a way to make leveling more exciting in this game because at the state that it is in right now, leveling is tedious and boring. Sure, its better than most MMO's but what other MMO's have that SWTOR does not is something to fall back to. One of SWTOR main componets is story and this stuff that is in the game is unexceptable. Every single planet in this game start like this: you land, and there is a guard standing waiting for you to give you a quest to the planet, and it is like this in every single planet. This might just be the least engaging way to introduce me to a new planet. They need to add some kind of intro to each planet, for example, they could have you go to a peaceful planet to drop supplies down, and then suddenly, the imps (or republic) attack and the people need help. Then instantly I would feel more engaged and I would feel better about the kill this pick up that quests. Most planets have a flat story that does little to engage you and the devs must fix this or all that money they spent on voice acting would be a waste.

Do you find this an issue? or did you like the content each planet gave you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing that baffles me about this game and it is the fact that they spent so much money on voice acting, yet I find myself skipping through all of it because of the fact that 80% of the quests in this game are pointless kill this get that quests. I dont understand why they added voice acting in this game when only your personal story really matters. They have got to find a way to make leveling more exciting in this game because at the state that it is in right now, leveling is tedious and boring. Sure, its better than most MMO's but what other MMO's have that SWTOR does not is something to fall back to. One of SWTOR main componets is story and this stuff that is in the game is unexceptable. Every single planet in this game start like this: you land, and there is a guard standing waiting for you to give you a quest to the planet, and it is like this in every single planet. This might just be the least engaging way to introduce me to a new planet. They need to add some kind of intro to each planet, for example, they could have you go to a peaceful planet to drop supplies down, and then suddenly, the imps (or republic) attack and the people need help. Then instantly I would feel more engaged and I would feel better about the kill this pick up that quests. Most planets have a flat story that does little to engage you and the devs must fix this or all that money they spent on voice acting would be a waste.

The leveling in this game is the best out of any MMO, you're lucky there even is voice acting. You could go try and level on WoW THEN complain. The content is amazing and there is a purpose to every quest, it's not always just "kill 10 boars for 1 boar tusk" in text. Anyone who disagrees I imagine has ADHD and simply has the attention span of a 5 year old.

Yeah, I've only played WoW and I can safely say this mmo has the best leveling experience of all time! So, what if I find myself spacebarring through everything because I've already heard it all 5 times and who cares if every quest is kill x amount of this or gather x amount of that! It's way better than all the other mmo's I've played, WoW being the only other one. Edited by DarthCDiv

I found the voice acting to be very engaging the first time I played the game as each faction. During subsequent play-throughs in each faction, however, I only cared to listen to the story for my class quest and I used PvP and Flashpoints to get my experience to level up. Still, it beats most other MMORPGs where I'd skim through the quest description to find the objectives, complete the objectives, then turn in the quest, gaining no insight into the story because I didn't care enough to read the wall of text. Overall, I'd say my experience leveling up in this game was less grindy than most other MMORPGs to date, so I enjoyed the leveling up part of the game.

Do you find this an issue? or did you like the content each planet gave you?[/quote

The notion of "go there get that" touch this and get that", "kill those and collect that" blah blah, that is an MMO grind quest. I feel you do make a good point about adding some diversity to the starting missions, but then that would take too much of EA's money and we can't have that kind of business going on.

Yeah, I've only played WoW and I can safely say this mmo has the best leveling experience of all time! So, what if I find myself spacebarring through everything because I've already heard it all 5 times and who cares if every quest is kill x amount of this or gather x amount of that! It's way better than all the other mmo's I've played, WoW being the only other one.

I can feel your sarcasm. We are defenseless. Take your keyboard. Strike us down with all your sarcasm, and your journey towards apathy will be complete.

For the others, there are at least 2 other mmos that were more fun leveling for me than this one. WOW wasn't one of them, though it wasn't the worst. EQ2, and Vanguard were miserable for me.

It's not hard to understand why people skip the cut scenes, traditional mmos like WoW have given players a grind mentality where everything boils down to kill x of this or interact with x of that as quick as possible to reach endgame. The reality of SWTOR is that the quests are nearly identical but the story was added in an attempt to break up the monotony of the quests and give players a sense of immersion.

Personally I prefer to play the game the way it was intended to be played, watch the story and try to follow the lore. That way you can actually feel some sort of purpose behind the game rather than just rushing to the end.

The leveling in this game is the best out of any MMO, you're lucky there even is voice acting.

The leveling in this game is so damn linear it is painful to roll alts. Every single character follows the same path to the same planets to the same outposts and the only difference is in which instance you go to at each outpost. Basically, the leveling in this game sucks.

It makes me miss games where you were able to choose which zones/areas you wanted to go fight and explore in, and not being guided around by the nose and being told exactly where to go.

For the others, there are at least 2 other mmos that were more fun leveling for me than this one. WOW wasn't one of them, though it wasn't the worst. EQ2, and Vanguard were miserable for me.

EQ2 leveling was amazing compared to this. You had a choice of which zones to go to and which quest hubs/areas you wanted to hit, at least until Hartsman totally dicked that up with RoK. It wasn't until my 3rd character that I did anything at all in Thundering Steepes. The choices were awesome. In this game, you have no choice.

Edited by Scritchy

The leveling in this game is so damn linear it is painful to roll alts. Every single character follows the same path to the same planets to the same outposts and the only difference is in which instance you go to at each outpost. Basically, the leveling in this game sucks.

It makes me miss games where you were able to choose which zones/areas you wanted to go fight and explore in, and not being guided around by the nose and being told exactly where to go.

Guild Wars 2

Agreed leveling in this game sucks. The voice acting feels like a gimmick it's still the same old quests of kill x amount of y, and voice acting won't change that.

It's not hard to understand why people skip the cut scenes, traditional mmos like WoW have given players a grind mentality where everything boils down to kill x of this or interact with x of that as quick as possible to reach endgame. The reality of SWTOR is that the quests are nearly identical but the story was added in an attempt to break up the monotony of the quests and give players a sense of immersion.

Personally I prefer to play the game the way it was intended to be played, watch the story and try to follow the lore. That way you can actually feel some sort of purpose behind the game rather than just rushing to the end.

The quests in this game (non class quest) are exactly the same as wow's only the quest text is told to you. Pretty much saying its just a bigger waste of time then text box quests since they all have no meaning.

I wont deny that this game has a better leveling expierence than most mmo's but the fact that Bioware gave us the same crap that is in most MMO's and then proceeded to tell us that one of the key features in this game was story really bugs me. Your class story is big but the other boring stuff takes up 80% of the planet so this shows that story is a minor addition to the planet instead of one of the big things in the game

Having seen these world quests multiple times since closed beta, I avoid as many as I can, and choose alternate ways to earn xp. Even if it's slower. The class quests are fun, and some of the world arc quest lines are fun, but there's only a few world quests that I will repeat. Most of those are on the homeworlds...which are the best done world quests in the entire game IMO.

I can't believe very many people find working for the inept militaries of either faction is considered fun. I hated those way back in beta even. Can these people do nothing for themselves? They all should retire, or commit suicide as useful as they are.

Edited by Hambunctious

The quests in this game (non class quest) are exactly the same as wow's only the quest text is told to you. Pretty much saying its just a bigger waste of time then text box quests since they all have no meaning.

You can look at it that way, or you can play it the way BW intended it to be played. Skipping the cut scenes is like playing Deus Ex, alt tabbing the game every time there's a conversation/cut scene and then complaining it's similar to other FPS games.

If you don't want to play it in the spirit of the game, then that isn't BioWares fault. Some of us are happy with the addition of Cut scenes and there's a buttload of other mmo's that don't have VA/Cut-scenes if that is your desire.

The first time through on first toon, voice acting is novel. After the first toon, listening to the same voice acting for the 80% of quests on each planet that all classes have in common, the "novelty" wears thin really fast and it becomes a tedious bore to be space barred through, except for the class quests.

It was a vast waste of capital and time that could have been better used including what are pretty much industry standards, like guild banks, lfg tools, server transfers etc right at launch instead of having to spend six months playing catch up at the expense of incremental content releases.

Why? For a quick money grab. Now that they have it they don't care.

I think they made a minor profit on the hype and now they are cutting because they don't want to lose that profit. Anyone have a $number to throw out here as far as total cost to develop vs. profit after launch?

I played TSW for almost a week, if you want to see pointless quests and dialog thats crappy play that game. In TSW your character doesn't actually speak, so everyone calls him a mute, a retard or worse and he just shrugs. Its terrible, I dont need player voice over but if my char is asked a question I should get a dialog wheel or something.

Lv 1 -50 are the best in any MMO, the game only really suffers at lv 50. The dailys start off ok but some thought could have gone into the dialog. Its a daily they know I will do it more than once so why is it I get sent to kill the same guy over and over its just plane stupid. Send me to kill a poswerful Sith because he is making his own army dont send me to kill the same Sith every time. Send me to get weapons but dont have the same officer dismiss the threat every time and then act suprised at the end.

If peope want to skip dialog upto them but I enjoyed it and as long as I leave it a month between characters I dont remember every quest and every line of dialog so its not bad.

You can look at it that way, or you can play it the way BW intended it to be played. Skipping the cut scenes is like playing Deus Ex, alt tabbing the game every time there's a conversation/cut scene and then complaining it's similar to other FPS games.

If you don't want to play it in the spirit of the game, then that isn't BioWares fault. Some of us are happy with the addition of Cut scenes and there's a buttload of other mmo's that don't have VA/Cut-scenes if that is your desire.

I liked cutscenes till they got to be the same thing, I am not asking for much, I am just asking for a better way of presenting quests, the dialogue is flat and it has no emotion at all. I am upset about this because Bioware has shown that they can make a highly thought out product many times and in this game, it feels rushed as if they just threw in some dialogue because they had other matters to take care of. Personally I would wait 1-2 more years for this game to come out so that they could insure a high quality product.

Guild Wars 2

What about it? Does it look more inventive and do something other games haven't? Not that I've seen.

Looks like more elves and queer looking smurfs and big fuzzy things shooting bows and arrows at eachother and wiggling sparks from their fingers.

What about it? Does it look more inventive and do something other games haven't? Not that I've seen.

Looks like more elves and queer looking smurfs and big fuzzy things shooting bows and arrows at eachother and wiggling sparks from their fingers.

So what you are saying is you haven't seen it at all?

At least the leveling experience in that game isn't so damn linear that you can sleep through it after the first time.