The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rotation Tips for Vanguard Tank: Focus on AoE Aggro

Belaeren

I hit 50 recently, and have been running dailies to get gear (like the Campaign relic, ear, implants), along with daily story mode FPs. I hadn't tanked anything in SWTOR before I hit 50 so am using the story modes for practice. Single target threat is relatively easy; I can maintain threat and keep my energy up fairly well. AoE tanking is a bit tougher, however, so I'm looking for help. I've found Battle for Ilum trash one of the harder tanking jobs so far; not because the trash is hard, but because there are places in the beginning where it's very spread out. I don't like to have other members of the party get hit so when I can't grab them all it's a bit embarrassing.

Any rotation tips for a relatively new VG tank?

Tip #1: Unsubscribe and uninstall.

Tip #2: For Battle for Ilum, just have DPS mop up the weaks. It is spread out a bit too much and kind of a ***** to round up, but doable. Make good use of your longer range abilities to pick up the distant mobs, like sticky grenade or even just regular old hammer shot. Quite frankly, one or two hammer shots is enough to keep a mob on you versus purely healing aggro.

Like I wrote in another thread... mortar volley any tight groups, storm, harpoon a mob to bring it in closer, use your two free explosive surges, use sticky grenade/hammer shot or even aoe/single target taunt on mobs you cant get to immediately, pulse cannon the group in front of you, then focus on target order with single target rotation.

Tip #2: For Battle for Ilum, just have DPS mop up the weaks. It is spread out a bit too much and kind of a ***** to round up, but doable. Make good use of your longer range abilities to pick up the distant mobs, like sticky grenade or even just regular old hammer shot. Quite frankly, one or two hammer shots is enough to keep a mob on you versus purely healing aggro.

Like I wrote in another thread... mortar volley any tight groups, storm, harpoon a mob to bring it in closer, use your two free explosive surges, use sticky grenade/hammer shot or even aoe/single target taunt on mobs you cant get to immediately, pulse cannon the group in front of you, then focus on target order with single target rotation.

Thanks for the tips... but why do you tell everyone to unsubscribe and uninstall?

That is good advice. Also, don't be afraid to fully utilize the CC abilities of your group. Why fight more enemies at a time than you have to. There's no shame in making the fight easier.

Another suggestion is to view cryo grenade as a mini CC. Sticky works well that way too on weak enemies.

Tanking in this game isnt like in WoW and others where the tank sneezes and billions of mobs just stick to him I kinda found this out before I even made my first tank a SW before my Van. Dps need to be more responsible in this game and mop up the weaklings while you concentrate on the big bad bosses just concentrate on the toughest man in the room and if the dps cant burn down a simple silver then they are the ones who dont need to be there.