Could Ilum work now that the servers have merged?

stendarrs

I was never a big fan of the action on Ilum because it was always totally one-sided for one faction or the other. Now that server populations are "healthy" again, would you like to see a modified Ilum restored (though admittedly it's a short term solution) or do you just think it would fail again?

i think it would work as long as some different rewards were thrown in, such as rare crafting resources or commendations or something. apparently the lag was really bad before though due to the engine. so the engine would have to get overhauled first.

No. Unfortunately Ilum will never work because the game's engine will never be able to support / handle large groups of players battling in the same area. It barely handles 16 players fighting in the same warzone.

No. Unfortunately Ilum will never work because the game's engine will never be able to support / handle large groups of players battling in the same area. It barely handles 16 players fighting in the same warzone.

^

It wasn't really a population problem, it was a game problem.

I don't want to derail my own thread, but how the hell did this happen? I know there are lots of posts blasting the Hero Engine, but this continues to blow my mind. I don't know very much about game engines so is there someone here who could comment as to whether it appears the Hero Engine could ever be optimized for large player battles or if this is pretty much as good as it's ever going to get?

I wish, but no.

There was nothing wrong with Ilum except that the game engine can't support that many people on the same screen. And sometimes the game can't even support that many people in the same zone.

Think 100 frames per second you get somewhere else, and then the choppy 2-3 fps you can get on the fleet when it's full -- that was Ilum. And, everyone is casting crap non stop for additional strain.

The game just wasn't built for large scale open world PvP, unfortunately.

Edited by Monterone

This. This right here.

The game's engine runs like crap when there's a bunch of people. You will be playing a huge fight at 2 Frames Per Second..... it will be unbearable

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.