The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New to SWTOR

KickItSideways

Hello, My name is Chris. I'm pretty new to the SWTOR MMO. I, however use3d to be an avid WoW and DCUO player. So, the MMO aspect isn't new to me. I'm just looking for a few beginner tips, I'm bummed that you don't get a "mount" till 25. But hey, it used to be 40 in WoW. I'm a level 10 Consular.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

One tip is that you get decent gear from rewards, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money buying gear.

You also get special type of money called "commendations" which allow you to get very good gear.

On your capital planet (Dormund Kaas or Coruscant) you can get commendations and buy orange gear, which accepts mods (Armoring, Mods and Enhancements).

As you level up, you can spend commendations to get blue level armoring and mods for the orange gear. This is a super cheap way to get gear.

On my first toon I didn't do this and was always broke. On my second toon I did and was rolling in cash. :)

Good luck!

Welcome Chris.

I completed my Jedi Consular story a few weeks ago. I loved it but have seen negative feedback from others. My tip would be to create a backstory for your Consular. Mine was an older Jedi who hated violence. Because of her hatred of violence, she was chosen for a special Jedi Infiltrator program. This is the reason she was older than most Padawans who become Jedi, The Jedi spent years training her on things like Diplomacy, negotiation, infiltration, sneak attacks. Also, she loved doing research and archaeology so sometimes she would pick quest that satisfied her exploratory nature.

That is the high-level backstory. It drove my decisions on quests I would do and how I would do them. I also had a certain conversational style because of it. Also, due to family issues in her backstory, she had one fear - falling prey to the dark side. So she usually chose the Light side. However, again, due to family history, she has a temper and sometimes would get angry and be impatient.

This made it more fun for me as I leveled her. Also, for the most part, Bioware's writing and gameplay supported this. I cannot count the number of quests I completed without killing anyone (just stealthed in). I missed out on bonuses but did not care. And for me, this approach was not boring. It was fun to see how far I could get without killing.

Since I usually play the story and not the multi player element as much each of my avatars have general backstories too. It helps when you have more than one character so you can keep their alignments straight. My sith inquisitor isn't evil, just passionate about and power hungry. My Sentinel prefers adventure to the Jedi code, my sniper is fiercely defensive of the empire and it's citizens and my merc is an anarchist who will burn a city just for the chaos.

All of which lead me down alignment paths that may or may not correspond with the empire evil, Republic good, storyline.

Concentrate on getting your main to the end of Chapter 1 of his class story. (it's not level based but typically happens in the low 30s) At that point you unlock Legacy and you start getting Legacy XP in addition to XP. If you role alts before that, you waste potential Legacy XP. BTW Legacy will unlock certain things like allowing alts to get a mount at level 10 instead of 25.

Here is a newcomers guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612

Here is a stats guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=88942

IMO the following two guides are a must read even if you don't plan to craft. It explains companion bonues and re-engineering but it also contains what the gear colors mean and how it works. It's more deep and complex than most people realize.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

Edited by Owsley

Wow guys, I'm very impressed with the amount of feedback I got from this. It seems like this is going to be a great gaming society. Thank you all very much for your input. I've got a good grip on it now. I'm following my Class Quest line as of right now. I'm at roughly 15 now, and just got my ship.

I wish I would of known about the Ram mini-pet giveaway. -_-'

i know this wont apply for your first character but if you unlock legacy, and then level up an alt your alt can get a speeder unlocked at level 10, if you have legacy level 5 i believe

These details are correct. Additionally, you need only legacy 5 for all of the speeder unlocks.

Welcome Chris.

I completed my Jedi Consular story a few weeks ago. I loved it but have seen negative feedback from others. My tip would be to create a backstory for your Consular. Mine was an older Jedi who hated violence. Because of her hatred of violence, she was chosen for a special Jedi Infiltrator program. This is the reason she was older than most Padawans who become Jedi, The Jedi spent years training her on things like Diplomacy, negotiation, infiltration, sneak attacks. Also, she loved doing research and archaeology so sometimes she would pick quest that satisfied her exploratory nature.

That is the high-level backstory. It drove my decisions on quests I would do and how I would do them. I also had a certain conversational style because of it. Also, due to family issues in her backstory, she had one fear - falling prey to the dark side. So she usually chose the Light side. However, again, due to family history, she has a temper and sometimes would get angry and be impatient.

This made it more fun for me as I leveled her. Also, for the most part, Bioware's writing and gameplay supported this. I cannot count the number of quests I completed without killing anyone (just stealthed in). I missed out on bonuses but did not care. And for me, this approach was not boring. It was fun to see how far I could get without killing.

Lol WOW you actually created a backstory for your own character? :), Me to mine is a raging alcoholic with a penchant for stalking Twileks! :D

Everyone has given you great tips about the game itself. But here's the greatest tip about anything. Do not, EVER, go to the General Discussion forums. Stay in the game, if you got any questions post them here, but you should NEVER go to General. That will save your life...in TOR...with it...whatever :D