Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Balance Shadow top tier DPS?

Boxer

it's a slight dps boost because of the 2 points into expertise.

The DPS boost you're getting from Expertise is in the single digits (as in less than 10 DPS total contributions). The variance in individual fights is going to have a larger impact upon your performance than those 2 point in Expertise will. You're actually better off taking Shadow's Respite if you want to max out your damage (start combat from stealth and Force Cloak on CD); you'll get more damage out of the additional resources than you will out of Expertise, though neither is an especially large contribution (I think the math on Shadow's Respite equated to something like 15-20 DPS or so increase when I did it).

Shadowy Veil, while it doesn't bump up your DPS, bumps you up from light armor to medium armor, functionally, which is a pretty decent decrease in damage taken. Between 2 almost invisible DPS increases and a noticeable-but-not-always-useful survivability increase, I'd rather take the survivability increase that is actually noticeable.

I never understand why people are so determined to be number 1 dps, why not just play for fun?

For any number of reasons. Some people derive a sense of enjoyment from competition. Others find optimization to be just as enjoyable as any other aspect of the game. Just because you don't find it fun doesn't mean that other people don't.

For any number of reasons. Some people derive a sense of enjoyment from competition. Others find optimization to be just as enjoyable as any other aspect of the game. Just because you don't find it fun doesn't mean that other people don't.

Well said Kitru. Some people like story lines, some people like excelling at their class. They don't have to be mutually exclusive but sometimes they are. Without competition, the world would be a very different place, the majority of innovations in the modern world are born out of competition. The fact we have a game like swtor comes down to the fact many people before were competitive in one way or another.

In short, we want to reach our top dps because we find the challenge fun, and the goal achievable.

...... and i am one of those people......

I recently changed from infi to balance and am loving the challenge of maxing out my dps. Up until now, i have been enjoying figuring it all out for myself. I am hitting reasonable numbers and in most ops/fp run, its not very often that i see even a sent beat me... give or take the occasional fight that is suited better to a range dps of some sort. Maybe thats saying something about the sents i run with....

That being said, i feel i have hit my ceiling on maxing out dps. I have spent countless hours and money swapping mods in and out and feel i have come up with the BIS for my lvl 61's, no 63's yet. I've played around with acc, for and against. Also the same with power vs crit arguement. I can't remember exact numbers but i believe my acc is somewhere around 98.5 and my crit rating is around 275 and surge at just over 300 because i swapped an acc enhancement out. I like the higher crit over the power, feels a lot more stable when dps'n.

The problem i have is that i can't see anyway further to squeeze anymore dps out of this guy, without moving up to 63 gear. I'm also seeing posts with numbers hitting into and well over the 1800 mark with claims that they aren't using and armor debuffs on the dummy....!? If this is possible, i would love to know how....? If anyone has the final piece to this puzzle... please share? I would love to hit and sustain that 1800 mark!!

My guy can sit comfortably in the 1700's, with bursts around 1760-80 BUT can not sustain above 1800 for anything longer than a minute or 2. As shown in the linked dummy run. All buffs, exo stim, no adrenals. (I can't see how, with a 3 min cooldown but would an adrenal knock me up into the next bracket..?)

Sorry for all the spam in different threads BUT WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT IS DONE.....?

http://www.torparse.com/a/55281/5

Thanks in advance.

The issue with our class (shadow / assassin) for dps, specifically for Deception / inf, is that we lack basic stats other classes get. We have bonus damage to our crit hits, but other dps classes get this to. What separates them, is that they get increased accuracy talents, or in a stance - increased force crit and increased mainstat. This makes for optimizing our class up to par with others, impossible - and quite frankly its pissing me off lol. With all 63's equiped minus a dreadguard earpiece, my accuracy goes to 95/105 because none of the dread guard implants have accuracy and black hole does. So poorly itemized.

There is absolutely no way, with the current assassin tree setup - to push a high bonus damage number (which every class can do) with a respectable crit rating and accuracy. It just can't be done. I'm almost ready to go back to my marauder

Edited by nosmos

Thanks Chukles, was hoping you would reply. I have already looked at the parse from you and would like to know exactly how this happened....?

4 things immediately jump out at me.....?

1. your crit % is much higher than mine

2. your FIB crits for a lot more than mine

3. you have a higher accuracy rating than mine (or had a lucky run)

4. you are also using 1 damage relic

The first 3 look either gear related (lvl 63, above mine), or armor debuffs from external help.....commando/guardian? Could you elaborate on either of those 2 assumptions?

The 4th, i am currently saving up for a 2nd dreadguard relic and will try it out once i get it to see if it improves my overall dps. I currently have the clicky power one and like the improved overall dps plus a little extra burst if i need it.

Were you using adrenals? Can you share your gear for me?

Thanks mate.

I am pretty much 1/2 dreadguard, still needa do my enhancements and a few armorings.

Force Tab

Bonus Damage: 1012.3

Accuracy: 110.04%

Crit Chance: 35.86%

Crit Multiplier: 77.51%

Melee Tab

Bonus Damage: 716.3

Accuracy: 100.04%

Crit Chance: 36.97%

Crit Multiplier: 77.51%

This is a legit parse, I don't use armor debuffs during my parses. I like to see where I'm at without the help of my buddies. I am a biochemist so I do use the rakata adrenal. Hope this helped a little.

-Chukles :)

Cool man, thanks, i will.

Like i said, it looked gear related and most of it prob is. The main thing was the armor debuff, so i'm glad you don't use it. This gives me something to aim for. Stats look fairly similar, i'm just a little behind because of the gear.

I checked out your log closer and the main rotation/priority list is the same (not rocket science) BUT i did find an extra un-proc'd backstab at the start of the fight, which crit'd too. That gave you a nice early boost. Thats funny because i was actually thinking of a way to burn off extra force at the start, coming out of stealth with the bonus, i lose some bcause it regens to fast.... but for some reason never thought of an un-proc'd backstab = DOH!!

The parses i put up were a quick attempt last night, i'll practise a bit with your backstab at the start and see if i can get some solid numbers. Might have to start biochem as well... wouldn't be all of it, but these little things help.

Love the numbers though.

Our progression group is having trouble on the Operator IX boss on tfb hm, so no dreadguard yet, but when we get that down and i can gear dreadguard, we'll have to have a DPS OFF!!

I'll look for you online, thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.