Does Server Population effect lag?

kewlbeanz

Im curious. I play on a "Light" Server, and I want to switch over to a more popular one. I just want to know if larger servers have more lag or that kind of stuff. I'm new to the forums and game lol, I'd appreciate any help.

While I'm not certain if server popluation causes lag, I do know that when I transferred my characters from a light server to a heavy server I've experienced several occasions where lag interupted my game. One time I even lost connection but I think that might have been my service provider and not the server/game. I never experienced any type of lag on the light server.

A heavier population shouldn't increase the chance of server lag, no. It can, however, cause some "lag" effects if too many people are in the same area, such as on the Fleets. The more people there are, the more characters there are on-screen for your PC to render, which could create the appearance of lag if your PC can't keep up.

But as far as actual server lag goes - I experienced it occasionally on my light population server, but since I transferred to a new server (with a higher pop), I haven't seen it at all. But, that's just my personal experience. Most people attribute "lag" generated because their PC can't render or load objects fast enough, and the choppiness it can bring, as server lag, and that's not the case. It's simply a matter of too many objects to render in one place at one time.

When multiple Ops groups all running through Denova all experience 5s lag spikes at exactly the same time despite being spread across a dozen different servers... yeah... that's not server-based at all :rolleyes:

Server-side issues do exist and are definitely worse since 1.3/merges. Which part of that duo is to blame is less clear, but not every issue can be blamed on people having rubbish PCs.

Not once did I say server lag does not exist. It most certainly does. The original poster asked if a higher population will cause it, and that is simply not likely true in and of itself.

Could BioWare's servers have hiccups? Absolutely. No server for any MMO is perfect, and changes in server code can increase the likelihood of server lag, which could be why various people see issues after various patches. Changes in hardware configuration could cause it, as well.

But a simple population boost on a server or moving to a server with a higher population? These servers should be built to handle that, so that in and of itself is not the issue, and that was the answer I gave.

Unless you have a high end computer, there will be pobably be a slowdown but it's technicaly not "lag," which is high latency or packet loss on your network connection. The slowdown and choppiness is the inability of your hardware to keep up with the game in such areas as video rendering and disk I/O speed. More players in an area requires your computer to process more data. Your mileage may vary. Edited by Owsley

I had this same concern coming over too. But I've never had any issue with server based lag.

On fleet my frame rate slows sometimes with 250 players in one spot but the issue is local to me, once I'm on planet or in a war zone its smooth again.

And the tradeoff is definitely worth it for queue times under 1 hour and a profitable galactic market.

The only time I notice any "lag" is at the Fleet, where there's hundreds of people loitering arount.

There is quite a lot of choppiness but I'm not in a combat zone.

Even on the most populated planets I've had no problems.

Im curious. I play on a "Light" Server, and I want to switch over to a more popular one. I just want to know if larger servers have more lag or that kind of stuff. I'm new to the forums and game lol, I'd appreciate any help.

Well I play on "The Harbinger" Server and it full all the time and the only area that lags me alot is the fleet but when I go to worlds that are heavly populated I get no lag what so ever so as for warzone I play it alot and very rarely I get lag spikes so:cool: Edited by Legolose

I get lag on the fleet - just from the sheer amount of bodies to process, and once before, right after transfers, there were like 5 different instances of the op I was doing, and we all had horrible lag from that. It didn't make sense, because we weren't processing those other bodies, but it happened.