The best computer for the game

Sangrar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'best' is far too subjective to say for real.

Ordering a pre-built computer generally won't get you what you want/need to get the game working magnificently. The best way to get the game to run really well is to keep your computer clean and up to date. A lot of the players you see loading extremely fast probably run expensive custom hardware and know how to configure their computer for the most performance.

That said, you will need this to play well:

- Minimum 8GB of ram, preferably DDR3 ( 1333mhz or faster )

- At least a 3.0Ghz processor ( number of cores doesn't matter as much as speed, things like L2 cache matter too but you can check benchmark websites like TomsHardware.com for more specific info )

- A 500 or higher series Nvidia card OR a 6000 or higher series Radeon card. Crossfire/SLI are not recommended as they don't seem to play very nicely with SWTOR, and you might be spending a lot more on 2 cards that would be better served by having just 1 good one.

Other things include a good power supply, but if you're buying a pre-built machine I assume they'll put in whatever is necessary.

Any size harddrive will do, at least 7200RPM, or if you want to spend extra cash, grab a medium size drive ( 500GB-1TB ) and a decent size Solid State Drive ( SSD, 128GB. )

I've found processor is more important than graphics card for this game. Don't choke your processor for a beefy video card, lots of newbie computer builders make that mistake. Beefier processor is better than beefier video card.

I would agree with those tips if the engine were not so bad. I checked my CPU and GPU loads in fleet with my processor clocked at 3.3 GHz (an AMD Phenom II X4 925), with game affinity set for cores 0 and 1 (tip already mention to increase performance) and loads were:

Core 0: 65 to 75 %

Core 1: 55 to 70 %

GPU (Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5): 35%

FPS in fleet during test (average): 17.

Then tested with CPU at stock speed: 2,8GHz, and results were exactly the same.

Clearly the engine is CPU dependant however those results tells me one things, the engine has got multiple bottlenecks both at CPU and GPU levels since it is incapable to use the cores and the GPU to their max potential.

• 1 year later...
Thank you for asking this question, as I have the same issues with my computer. I have not played for months just because it is not worth the lag, this is my favorite game and it makes me sad I cannot play it until I get a new computer. I have an Acer and my friend says they are terrible for running games.

I would suggest using Cyberpower.

/Agree.

Cyberpowerpc will allow you to custom configure your machine to be exactly what you want it to be, at very competitive prices and without the hassle of gathering parts and building yourself. 3year warranty too.

Get a configuration with an i5 4670 (or i7 4770) so that you can take advantage of Intel Smart Response Technology (which enables you to front-end your hard disk with up to 64gig of SSD for about 70 dollars. That will effectively give you SSD performance for your entire hard disk.)

Edited by Andryah

The best?

Gigabyte Z87X-OC Motherboard

3 1TB SSD with OS on one, Games on another, Media on another

Windows 7 64 bit ultimate

32 Gigabytes of RAM (make a RAM disk of all of SWTOR)

2x Nvidia GeForce GTX Titans

3x 58 inch samsung monitors for Nvidia 3d vision gaming

1200 watt power supply

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition (3.5ghz, possibly could be overclocked)

That is the BEST you could possibly have. ;)

Edited by Sarfux

• 7 months later...

Hey guys I am looking to upgrade from my laptop to a PC. I am having a hard time understand the jargon and abbreviations of the Specs of computers so I am wanting to ask you guys: Is it reasonable for me to build my own PC for 1000 or less for nothing except playing swtor on highest graphics? If you guys could help that would wonderful!

Finding the droids you've been looking for since 1993