The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Harpoon as a taunt?

Zekoisop

Tooltip for harpoon says it generates aggro. I was wondering if it even works as a taunt on boss fights even though u can't tow mOst bosses. I'll try it on my parser later. Was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head.

It isn't a taunt. Taunts automatically put you at 130% of the current highest threat (unless you are extremely close to the target) in addition to forcing the target to attack you for 6 seconds. Harpoon merely generates a large, flat amount of threat. Edited by BlastingGravy

Somewhere along the lines, the devs adjusted the way harpoon works. At one time, you couldn't use it against targets that were "Immune to movement impairing effects", now however you can.

As a more direct answer to your question:

I almost always use it as my first attack on my Vanguard tank when attacking Ops bosses. Harpoon/Storm/Surge/Stockstrike/etc...

I even use it if a boss happens to "get away" from me, the taunt is nice but putting yourself higher on the threat table is even better imo. Great for Torn/Zoth fight and other instances where taunting becomes an issue and you are starting low on the threat table against that particular boss (same for the last boss in Denova).

It really is a great tool when tank swapping.

It isn't a taunt. Taunts automatically put you at 130% of the current highest threat (unless you are extremely close to the target) in addition to forcing the target to attack you for 6 seconds. Harpoon merely generates a large, flat amount of threat.

I was not aware that taunts worked that way (generating any threat at all). It was my understanding they do what they say they do...force a target(s) to attack you for xx seconds.

I was not aware that taunts worked that way (generating any threat at all). It was my understanding they do what they say they do...force a target(s) to attack you for xx seconds.

If it didn't modify your threat, it would be nearly useless, because once those 6 seconds ended the boss would go right back to attacking the old target. It would make tank switching impossible, because there's no way to generate enough threat in 6 seconds to overcome the threat built by the last tank.

Also, I'd just like to point out that taunts give you 130% of the highest current threat even if you are the one with the current highest threat.

In many games, taunt just puts you on top of the aggro list and forces the boss to attack you for X seconds.

In TOR, it does that, but also increases your own threat (even if you're already the highest), making it your most powerful threat-generating tool. Some time into a lengthy boss fight, you can keep the boss on you by using only taunts (given that you've spammed them on the boss for most of the fight).

@OP: Harpoon isn't a taunt, it doesn't do the above and will usually fail to get a mob's aggro back. It does however create high threat.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

• 3 weeks later...
If it didn't modify your threat, it would be nearly useless, because once those 6 seconds ended the boss would go right back to attacking the old target. It would make tank switching impossible, because there's no way to generate enough threat in 6 seconds to overcome the threat built by the last tank.

Also, I'd just like to point out that taunts give you 130% of the highest current threat even if you are the one with the current highest threat.

o_O

So, it adds ALWAYS adds at least 30% to your threat ? 30% if you already have the hoghest threat and even more when you don't ?

That's... pretty awesome!

In many games, taunt just puts you on top of the aggro list and forces the boss to attack you for X seconds.

In TOR, it does that, but also increases your own threat (even if you're already the highest), making it your most powerful threat-generating tool. Some time into a lengthy boss fight, you can keep the boss on you by using only taunts (given that you've spammed them on the boss for most of the fight).

@OP: Harpoon isn't a taunt, it doesn't do the above and will usually fail to get a mob's aggro back. It does however create high threat.

You're confuzl for me! But I'll make a new post with specific questions, thisone isn't good for it, me think.